RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11400197-ama-emails-drones-right-fly.html)

littlecrankshaf 02-17-2013 10:22 PM

RE: AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

''GPS dependent, New Technology, 911 Speed Dial, Camping Boy, Mall Rat'' tales told by my friend's son who is a ranger at Yosemite are very funny, but at the same time very sad [and embarrassing] to any self respecting males born pre-Gloria Steinham era.
Nobody with any common sense is worried about AMA drone flyers who follow the rules.
It is the capability for abuse that is the issue.
I am an old school hot rodder and abuse of the law is the standard issue, ultimate goal of that hobby... no lie.
Same principle will apply with drone flyers. It is human nature to play with your toys to their extreme limits, but the''New Technology Boys'' have been taught by the libtards to shun their natural instincts to think like men with any critical awareness of the future..
What type of abuse are you talking about??? Terrorist actions maybe??? Spying on your neighbor?? Some other illegal activity??? What?? Just a generalization with infinite possibilities as with just about anything man has created???

combatpigg 02-17-2013 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

What type of abuse are you talking about??? Terrorist actions maybe??? Spying on your neighbor?? Some other illegal activity??? What?? Just a generalization with infinite possibilities as with just about anything man has created???

I don't know...use your imagination.
Do you think you've got a steady enough hand to fly a "half time show" at your nearest college or pro football stadium...while you're sitting in your car outside the stadium?

combatpigg 02-17-2013 10:50 PM

If the Seahawks ever make it to the Superbowl again and an enemy field goal gets blocked by a Senior Telemaster......you'll know who did it...[8D]

bradpaul 02-18-2013 05:33 AM

RC flyers based on about 40 years of associating with them fall into two camps.............<div></div><div>1.) Anything RC is fun and should be encouraged.</div><div>2.) Anything other then flying in circuts with a plane like mine should be banned.</div><div></div><div>I remember the :</div><div></div><div>"Real modelers build planes not assemble them"</div><div>"Why would you ever need more then four channels?"</div><div>"Electrics are just toys so get a real plane"</div><div>"Helicopters should only fly ay their own field"</div><div>"Lipos will explode and cause a major injury that will kill AMA insurance"</div><div>"3D is just areial masturbating"</div><div>and the latest</div><div>"FPV flyers are irresponsible and will kill the hobby"</div><div></div><div>One thing that has been consistent over the last 40 years IMHO is the unwillingness of a significant portion of our hobby to accept change............................... I guess that's called getting old.</div><div></div><div>Just Saying..............................</div><div></div><div>Brad</div>

littlecrankshaf 02-18-2013 07:09 AM

I don't know...use your imagination.
Do you think you've got a steady enough hand to fly a ''half time show'' at your nearest college or pro football stadium...while you're sitting in your car outside the stadium?
I see, sort of like the RC plane hitting the blimp thingy or like when those goofballs crossed the Atlantic with the RC/Autonomous model... Those kinds of things...I think I get your point now...

Thanks for the advice...I'll now let my imagination run wild and see what else I can concoct in my mind...

Oh, as far as my steady hand's capability...no doubt about it...I could get it done since I already have very real experience flying 40% size models in actual football stadiums but the equipment failure potential for my FPV experience level is just to great to do remote FPVing... so I wouldn't likely ever try something like that...although I can "imagine" (there's that word again) how it could be done safely.

cj_rumley 02-18-2013 08:28 AM

I am an old school hot rodder and abuse of the law is the standard issue, ultimate goal of that hobby... no lie.

So, you would have the gummit ban hotrodding too?

Clearly that activity represents a much bigger public menace than toy airplanes.

combatpigg 02-18-2013 08:35 AM

Sorry, it's hard for me to believe that anyone in charge would allow a 40% plane to fly a demo inside a stadium full of people. Anyone who advocates a 40% FPV demo flown inside a stadium full of people is the kind of guy I'm taking issue with.
The "blimp episode"...imagine how much easier of a shot that could have been for the RC pilot if he had FPV, plus he could have performed that stunt from the safety and comfort of his mom's basement.

combatpigg 02-18-2013 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

So, you would have the gummit ban hotrodding too?

Clearly that activity represents a much bigger public menace than toy airplanes.
Cars DO pose a great menace and that is why we have as many traffic cops and cameras as we do. There are all kinds of laws on the books to stifle hotrodding...thankfully there are enough law makers and cops who also enjoy it enough to look the other way.

littlecrankshaf 02-18-2013 08:58 AM

Sorry, it's hard for me to believe that anyone in charge would allow a 40% plane to fly a demo inside a stadium full of people. Anyone who advocates a 40% FPV demo flown inside a stadium full of people is the kind of guy I'm taking issue with.
The ''blimp episode''...imagine how much easier of a shot that could have been for the RC pilot if he had FPV, plus he could have performed that stunt from the safety and comfort of his mom's basement.
What??? Full stadium??? I never said that! There you go letting your imagination run wild again... "40% FPV" give me a break! Its hard to make any points in this thread when people keep moving the goal posts...but that's how pooping is done I guess...

FYI My experience with "stadium flying" was only half full of spectators...and all spectators were well behind the "flight line"...Our setup was probably safer than many other "sanctioned" events. And yes, we had the full confidence of those in charge... as they were very aware of our skills and commitment to safety...

Nothing like getting the extra points for knife edging between the stationary goal posts...

cj_rumley 02-18-2013 09:17 AM

Cars DO pose a great menace and that is why we have as many traffic cops and cameras as we do. There are all kinds of laws on the books to stifle hotrodding...thankfully there are enough law makers and cops who also enjoy it enough to look the other way.
But, but........that reckless abuse of cars must be a public image nightmare for AAA. I hope they have taken a hard stand against hod rods.

combatpigg 02-18-2013 09:39 AM

Call them with your genuine concerns and questions.

littlecrankshaf 02-18-2013 09:47 AM

OH, for everyone's enjoyment...FPV meets RC...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0JoelKZCSqs#!

Oh, the humanity!!!

combatpigg 02-18-2013 10:09 AM

The ''blimp episode''...imagine how much easier of a shot that could have been for the RC pilot if he had FPV, plus he could have performed that stunt from the safety and comfort of his mom's basement.
What??? Full stadium??? I never said that! There you go letting your imagination run wild again... ''40% FPV'' give me a break! Its hard to make any points in this thread when people keep moving the goal posts...but that's how pooping is done I guess...

FYI My experience with ''stadium flying'' was only half full of spectators...and all spectators were well behind the ''flight line''...Our setup was probably safer than many other ''sanctioned'' events. And yes, we had the full confidence of those in charge... as they were very aware of our skills and commitment to safety...

Nothing like getting the extra points for knife edging between the stationary goal posts...
Well, at least you didn't try to misrepresent yourself as someone who flew FPV or LOS RC at half time in a packed football stadium..which was the scenario I clearly drew up earlier.
At least you're above playing those kind of "word games" to try and prove a point.
Your story about flying a demo inside a stadium with spectators behind a safe flight line is irrelevant...but it was a nice opportunity for you to talk about your 5 minutes of fame even though it doesn't have anything in common with the scenario I brought up.

cj_rumley 02-18-2013 11:23 AM

Oh, the humanity!!!

Unbelievable disregard for safety and just the kind of thing that gives modeling a bad name! To make matters worse the other plane was flying 3D! Over the runway! Somebody should call AMA HQ, and the cops. Anybody know where this flying site is?

cfircav8r 02-18-2013 11:32 AM

These are just my thoughts on this issue. Are FPV flyers a danger to anyone? I really doubt they pose more of a risk to the general public than any other activities that we could be engaged in. The problem is "drones" (which, to the media and therefore the general public, is any aircraft not carrying a person) are a hot topic, and a "buzz word," in the media. Whether or not they pose a real threat, if the media decides they do then the general public will say they do. Until now it has been in the governments best interest to not regulate us as regulation is expensive, and no one in the gov. is stupid enough to spend that kind of money when the public/media doesn't care. Now with the medias concentration on drones it will only take one big story pointing out our potential for harm to John Q. Public for it to become a raging issue, and since the vast majority of the country doesn't care one bit about our hobby (toys to them) there will be no real defense against the media running all over us. Like it or not FPV has more potential than any other aspect of our hobby to put us at the head of the "drone" debate.

BarracudaHockey 02-18-2013 12:10 PM

FPV with a spotter and flown in visual range, no problem.

FPV flown BVR, yes, potential for big problems. Separating hobby FPV from drones becomes difficult when guys are flying circles around the Statue of Liberty and posting youtube videos of it.

cj_rumley 02-18-2013 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

FPV with a spotter and flown in visual range, no problem.

FPV flown BVR, yes, potential for big problems. Separating hobby FPV from drones becomes difficult when guys are flying circles around the Statue of Liberty and posting youtube videos of it.
Separating hobby models from civil and commercial sUAS can be difficult. FAA and AMA agree that it's not feasible to even try to do it based on similarities in physical and performance characteristics, so the classification for regulatory purposes is based on how they are used.

Models equipped for FPV cannot be similarly classified as hobby models because..................... well,.....um,....errrrr......_____________________ ___(you fill in the blank).

littlecrankshaf 02-18-2013 12:55 PM

What??? Full stadium??? I never said that! There you go letting your imagination run wild iagain... ''40% FPV'' give me a break! Its hard to make any points in this thread when people keep moving the goal posts...but that's how pooping is done I guess...

FYI My experience with ''stadium flying'' was only half full of spectators...and all spectators were well behind the ''flight line''...Our setup was probably safer than many other ''sanctioned'' events. And yes, we had the full confidence of those in charge... as they were very aware of our skills and commitment to safety...

Well, at least you didn't try to misrepresent yourself as someone who flew FPV or LOS RC at half time in a packed football stadium..which was the scenario I clearly drew up earlier.
At least you're above playing those kind of ''word games'' to try and prove a point.
Your story about flying a demo inside a stadium with spectators behind a safe flight line is irrelevant...but it was a nice opportunity for you to talk about your 5 minutes of fame even though it doesn't have anything in common with the scenario I brought up.
Your scenario was an imaginary hypothetical... I was only trying to put some reality in this thread...I have never had much use for such hypotheticals since they are you used more often to poo poo on stuff where actual facts don't serve someone's argument well enough.

bradpaul 02-18-2013 01:14 PM

So here is the issue:<div>
</div><div>The Federal Government through DHS will use military grade drones to spy on the general population, and no local or state law will stop it.  All will be justified in the name of NATIONAL SECURITY.</div><div>
</div><div>Citizens that want to spy on citizens or use drones for illegal use will still do it.  Laws will do nothing to stop a criminal, they just will make the technology more expensive.</div><div>
</div><div>So the only ones not using drones will be the law abiding citizens that never were the problem.    </div><div>
</div><div>The real question is will an ignorant public led by the mass media and corrupt government be able to distinguish between RC Hobby and DRONES?</div><div>
</div><div>Brad </div>

littlecrankshaf 02-18-2013 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

</div><div>The Federal Government through DHS will use military grade drones to spy on the general population, and no local or state law will stop it. All will be justified in the name of NATIONAL SECURITY.</div><div>
</div><div>Citizens that want to spy on citizens or use drones for illegal use will still do it. Laws will do nothing to stop a criminal, they just will make the technology more expensive.</div><div>
</div><div>So the only ones not using drones will be the law abiding citizens that never were the problem. </div><div>
</div><div>The real question is will an ignorant public led by the mass media and corrupt government be able to distinguish between RC Hobby and DRONES?</div><div>
</div><div>Brad </div>
Sure they will...with the right support but some of what is put forward with all this imaginary scenario stuff isn't helping.

804 02-18-2013 02:18 PM

Oh, the humanity!!!

Someone should call AMA,
and urge them to use this video for the promotion of aero-modeling.
What kid or adult couldn't get excited by that?
Pardon me for gushing,
but that is one of the coolest videos I've seen.

Thx for sharing.

joebahl 02-18-2013 04:05 PM

</div><div>The Federal Government through DHS will use military grade drones to spy on the general population, and no local or state law will stop it. All will be justified in the name of NATIONAL SECURITY.</div><div>
</div><div>Citizens that want to spy on citizens or use drones for illegal use will still do it. Laws will do nothing to stop a criminal, they just will make the technology more expensive.</div><div>
</div><div>So the only ones not using drones will be the law abiding citizens that never were the problem. </div><div>
</div><div>Brad </div>
I think you have it a little mixed up but real close ( will the law makers be able to seperate between or hobby and the drones) .I remember the last time someone did not even get their jet close to the white house but was planning to do harm and the ama had a fight on their hands. With the people we have on both sides in office now i dont know how they can tie their shoes in the morning let alone think. Yes they will listen to the masses because they are smart enough to know where their votes come from and nothing else. joe

HoundDog 02-18-2013 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: joebahl

So here is the issue:<div></div><div>The Federal Government through DHS will use military grade drones to spy on the general population, and no local or state law will stop it. All will be justified in the name of NATIONAL SECURITY.</div><div></div><div>Citizens that want to spy on citizens or use drones for illegal use will still do it. Laws will do nothing to stop a criminal, they just will make the technology more expensive.</div><div></div><div>So the only ones not using drones will be the law abiding citizens that never were the problem. </div><div></div><div>The real question is will an ignorant public led by the mass media and corrupt government be able to distinguish between RC Hobby and DRONES?</div><div></div><div>Brad</div>
I think you have it a little mixed up but real close ( will the law makers be able to seperate between or hobby and the drones) .I remember the last time someone did not even get their jet close to the white house but was planning to do harm and the ama had a fight on their hands. With the people we have on both sides in office now i dont know how they can tie their shoes in the morning let alone think. Yes they will listen to the masses because they are smart enough to know where their votes come from and nothing else. joe
<h1>Rezwan Ferdaus of Ashland sentenced to 17 years in terror plot; plotted to blow up Pentagon, Capitol</h1><span style="font-size: medium;">If U follwoed this last year it was years in the making and the Authoritys provided this guy with the Fake Explosives and Financed the purchace of the model he was going to use ...
The AMA is our best chance of NOT being lumpd in with DRONES.</span>

Luchnia 02-18-2013 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: 804
Someone should call AMA,
and urge them to use this video for the promotion of aero-modeling.
What kid or adult couldn't get excited by that?
Pardon me for gushing,
but that is one of the coolest videos I've seen.
Thx for sharing.
I can think of so many truly great uses for drones/FPV type technology. You will have problems with anything if used for bad and we have history to prove this. That video was cool. We have a guy at our club that flies the FPVs and his videos are boss!

There are many positives for drones and the technology surrounding them. When the government or individuals use them wrong then we have a problem. Will it happen? That is like asking is there evil in the world today? People will find ways to do wrong with just about everything, however we should hope for the good that can come from this great technology and push that aspect.

I had stated before of how I think drones could save farmers a small fortune. Often times farmers that own huge farms have to try to buy used choppers and other costly ways spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to fly over their land to check fences, cattle, etc.. Can you image if they used a cost effective drone to check their land? This is one simple use where the FPV technology could be greatly utilized.

Even though the FPV stuff is not my thing, I say, bring it on! There are so many ways this technology can be beneficial to us.

joebahl 02-18-2013 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

ORIGINAL: joebahl

So here is the issue:<div> </div><div>The Federal Government through DHS will use military grade drones to spy on the general population, and no local or state law will stop it. All will be justified in the name of NATIONAL SECURITY.</div><div> </div><div>Citizens that want to spy on citizens or use drones for illegal use will still do it. Laws will do nothing to stop a criminal, they just will make the technology more expensive.</div><div> </div><div>So the only ones not using drones will be the law abiding citizens that never were the problem. </div><div> </div><div>The real question is will an ignorant public led by the mass media and corrupt government be able to distinguish between RC Hobby and DRONES?</div><div> </div><div>Brad </div>
<h1>Rezwan Ferdaus of Ashland sentenced to 17 years in terror plot; plotted to blow up Pentagon, Capitol</h1><span style=''font-size: medium;''>If U follwoed this last year it was years in the making and the Authoritys provided this guy with the Fake Explosives and Financed the purchace of the model he was going to use ...
The AMA is our best chance of NOT being lumpd in with DRONES.</span>

Now that you posted it i remember it was a sting job like fixing a guy up with a women undercover cop for fun then he gets thrown in jail for it. lol I do also remember the ama Snakes (lawyers) having to go to many hearings over the matter and it still was paid for by us AMA members . [:o] Will we have to pay for defending drones ?With the talk here it looks like we will. I'am done here ya know how i feel and many others and i hope i never have to say i told you so. joe