Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > AMT Netherlands
Reload this Page >

Older Air start Mercury

Community
Search
Notices
AMT Netherlands Get support for AMT Netherlands products here.

Older Air start Mercury

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older Air start Mercury

Im about to become the owner of an older air start Mercury. The seller a survivng relative of the gentleman who owner it. I know very little about AMT air start engines. the owner says he has no start box or data terminal for this engine . I'm wondering what should it have in the way of a start box or a data terminal or a combined start box/data terminal. I know it also needs a regulator and scuba tank or similar air supply. He has neither of these items either.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Default RE: Older Air start Mercury

congrats and welcome to the iron lung club!!!!

You should have a motor, engine manual, fuel pump, ecu and a battery. that's all you get. the start box was something you could purchase from AMT years as an accessory, but isn't necessary. you can easily fabricate one out of spare festo valves or even an old Ram start box if you have one laying around.

the data terminal is a nice piece of gear to have while learning your motor, but it basically tells you rpm, egt, pump voltage and any error codes during start up or shutdown..... in addition to informing you via when the radio has connected to the ecu.

happy to help ya with this motor anytime amigo, it will run all day long......just keep giving it fuel. Additionally, you can contact Danno he may have an extra EDT in the shop. you don't need a scuba tank to start it but it's your best bet. I've used a leaf blower and a sears air compressor to help spin the motor.

air on, air off, add glow, propane, more air, the ecu waits for egt / rpm to get up to speed then turns on the fuel pump......it's aaaaallllivvvveeee it's aliiiiiiiivvvvveeee!!!! mmmuuuaaaahhhhhh mmmuuaaaaahhhh

love dem air start motors!!!

btw, chics dig scuba steve!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44772.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1854181  
Old 02-20-2013, 06:03 AM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

The truth is I dont even know for sure what engine it is. He thinks its a mercury and it probably is but its not certain. Pretty sure its some sort of AMT as I can see the ecu in the airplane it says AMT on it. Im not really planning to keep it. My intent and expectation is to sell it. It is on a brand new never been flown Hotspot that I stumbled into.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 AM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are interested in an air start setup with the scuba tank, valves and EDT, we have a complete setup I would be happy to sell you.  We are done with air start turbines for the time being...we are in Houston if you ever come this way.  Also, I would highly recommend the EDT off you are not familiar with airstarts.  It lets you watch the whole start sequence and gives you the ability to monitor temps and rpm...

Brian.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

if it's on a hotspot it's a mercury. although it would fit.....barely.....you could stick a peggy back there and it would have
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52982.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1854287  
Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys I just got one of these older air starts AMT 180 also.

I was thinking I could use a 70mm edf to make a air wand to get get her running but that just sounds like a pain.

So Can I use the larger Air tanks for the paint ball guns?

Thanks Mike
Old 05-31-2013, 06:08 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Yes and no.

The large consent air bottles are small. You may not have enough volume to get a start. AND... don't try to use CO2. That will just put out the flame. (lol)

I use a blower to move air, and start my engines. I'm not sure if a 70mm EDF will work or not. But... you can try.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:56 AM
Ger Kovacs

Have recently coverted my old Mercury airstart to PROjet electric start, only big chance was the RPM pick up.
Made a new compressornut threat 1/4.28 left hand, with a hole in it to see the optical counter from the PROjet ECU and offcourse a electric starter engine with bendix at the front of the intake.
Functions perfectly, had set the max RPM on 150K, the PROjet will take 155K if nessicery.
Still searcing for the right settings on kerostart but for now it starts easyly on gas.

If somebody is interrested in a fully Original AMT Mercury perefery ECU compleet functioning so RPM pck-up, thermo couple, ECU, programming box, fuelpump, connector's, but whitout scuba bottle then give me a call.
I live often in the Netherlands and sometimes in Spain.

Email kovac066 at planet dot nl

Kind regards Ger Kovacs.

Last edited by Ger Kovacs; 09-12-2015 at 01:59 AM.