Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Waco?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Waco?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:59 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Waco?

I think I'm just trying to keep this thread going until the "Great Event" arrives. Delving into the WACO sites, it's unbelievable how much info there is on this aircraft. The color schemes are just fantastic to behold. And by the way, what do one of these
Replica full-scales cost ? Maybe it's worth buttering-up the wife for a "spare" just for the sake of having a winter project color change. Still have'nt heard anything from Dick Watz yet. And lastly, you would think with the high percentage of multi millonaires that live in the Logan, Utah area, One of these "cheap-skates" would have an intrest in owning a Golden Age classic at the local airport......... MM
Old 02-24-2011, 05:24 AM
AncientCityFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MM, there is a company building NEW WACO's. The prices vary according to what you want. I can't remember the name of the company, but the range in price up to about $350,000.00. The full scale is definatley out of my price range. ACF
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike, Dick has your email address. As I said before, he has been through some serious health issues, so please bear with him.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 AM
skylarkmk1

The full size Waco YMFs are being built by Waco Classic Aircraft Corp. http://www.wacoclassic.com/ They started the first YMF back in 1985 with the first 9 aircraft built from the 1935 plans, raised the tail wheel by 3" and made it steerable along with some minor mods to the aircraft thru ser # F5039, all are the same size as an original. From ser # F5021and up, the main landing gear was shortened by 3". From ser # F5040 and up, they lengthened the fuselage by 6" and widened it by 2.5", increased the front cockpit door size, both winshields were enlarged and balanced the rudder (angled air balance) and elevator. Some other change in cluded replacing the fabric on the forward fuselage first on the left and later on the right sides.

So depending how much of a scale fanatic you are and on which era (1930s or modern) and serial number, you need to do your research well to depict your model correctly. Yes, Waco Classic has a lot of neat color scheme (120 +) compared to the original YMF/UMF (36 total). If building from scratch or the PICA Plans the fuselage needs to be adjusted for the modern airframe to be correct.

Go here http://www.wacoclassic.com/pdf/specs.pdf
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
MormonMike

Thanks Bill !. Hope he gets better. $350.000...... uh,.. er,... maybe next year.. MM
Old 02-24-2011, 07:19 PM
David DeWitt
My Feedback: (289)

Check out the manual http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1295-manual.pdf
Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 PM
skillet92

I do believe we are getting close!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 AM
MormonMike

YES!!!! THAT"S THE ATTITUDE I WANT TO HEAR !!! In the meantime, I'll go out and shovel a path in the snow for UPS to deliver MM
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Stickbuilder

Dangit, they put the tailwheel in a non scale location.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 AM
hrrcflyer

Here's a little Waco inspiration for all of you fella's to help you get through until the ARF comes out. I'm still thinking about getting one of the Great Planes ARF's, but if I do, I'm going to refinish it to match the red one. Enjoy.....

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95116.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1569584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60009.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1569585  
Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 AM
skylarkmk1

David,

Two great choices; N 40121, s# F5029, (white) and N 40116, s# F5024, (red) are both by Waco Classic and the same size as the originals .
Old 02-25-2011, 12:30 PM
MormonMike

Bill, I anticipated a non-scale tailwheel. It's my intention to fabricate a near exact replica of the real one. I'm quite sure with my skills and a complete shop, we'll see what can be done. There may also be a need to modify the mains just a tad too. Since this one is without slave push/pull aileron bars, I may draw some attention to that area.
David, thanks for the other color scheme photos. Yes, that red finish is beautiful. The wife says "Get me one of those new IPOD Phones honey and I'll see if I can work a spare GP WACO for you in a couple months". Sounds like a done deal to me ! Bill, If this is done right, would it be considered ''worthy " of a WACO membership ? Seeya, MM
Old 02-25-2011, 12:48 PM
skillet92

They are in and mine is on the way!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:07 PM
MormonMike

And now the great "Sweat" is on.... are they being shipped from Illinois [farthest away] or Nevada [ much closer to me ] Hmm... MM
Old 02-25-2011, 01:40 PM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You guys should tell me where you find wives like yours.
All I had for my birthday was a Big Stick.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM
skillet92

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

And now the great ''Sweat'' is on.... are they being shipped from Illinois [farthest away] or Nevada [ much closer to me ] Hmm... MM
Well Illinois is close to me, but maybe they have them at both places!!

And to really tell ya how sweet my wife is My ESM Corsair that I lost last week she Ordered me a new one yesterday and surprised me last night! I love that women! Now what it will cost me down the road...................??
Old 02-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Stickbuilder

Bill, I anticipated a non-scale tailwheel. It's my intention to fabricate a near exact replica of the real one. I'm quite sure with my skills and a complete shop, we'll see what can be done. There may also be a need to modify the mains just a tad too. Since this one is without slave push/pull aileron bars, I may draw some attention to that area.
David, thanks for the other color scheme photos. Yes, that red finish is beautiful. The wife says ''Get me one of those new IPOD Phones honey and I'll see if I can work a spare GP WACO for you in a couple months''. Sounds like a done deal to me ! Bill, If this is done right, would it be considered ''worthy '' of a WACO membership ? Seeya, MM
Pretty much any modification that you want to do has been covered in the Waco YMF thread in Vintage and Antique Forum

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-25-2011, 03:55 PM
AncientCityFlyer

Mine's been invoiced and in process at TH. FINALLY! yaHoo. ACF
Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 PM
AncientCityFlyer

I just got around to looking at the construction manual for the WACO. I'm impressed...appears to be a very thorough manual with a lot of detailed descriptions of each step. More than most manuals I've seen in a while. Everything looks good. The only exception is the tail wheel. Not to scale by any means, but.........if that's the worst thing with this one I won't be complaining. UPS is gonna be busy in the next few days. I'll be looking for the Big Brown Truck. ACF
Old 02-25-2011, 08:40 PM
UltraBob

By the way, the Waco guys have acquired the type certificate for the Great Lakes biplanes and they shall rise once again...one of my favorite airplanes.......

Bob
Old 02-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Stickbuilder

One was in the Hobby Shop in Saginaw Michigan yesterday. It had been ordered for someone.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 AM
kochj

Not to PEE in all of your morning breakfest....but I hope the recent issue with monokote's color matching issue is solved...

Here is a picture of 3-coverings....{ This was taken w/o the flash on the camera. THe light source is from the Garage lights]}
-The far right = ORACOTE cub yellow..
- Middle = Last 6-month old MONOKOTE cub yellow
-FAR left= NEW MONOKOTE cub yellow....

My point....
My 1/3rd cap 580 is covered in cub yellow.... Matches perfect to old cub yellow (if you call 6-months old)
and is a very close match to ORACOTE cub yellow..

The recent Cub yellow (far left) was sent from Hobby sevices... (sent 2 rolls) BOTH were Identical ...WAY OFF color...from previouse monokote..

My point....I wonder if the Monokote on this WACO, has the OLD cub yellow on it or the NEW CUB yellow.....

IT is A BIG Difference..... Not sure if it is a factory MESSUP on a few runs of color, or if this is there NEW color...????
Horrible Q&A if you ask me..

I will add that.... HOBBICO has given me First rate service....ALWAYS..... SO I can not complain what so ever, about that....
I like the finish of monokote, over Oracote, but if it isn't apllied properly, or if the color is messed up (we are not talking about SLIGHT color variences)
It can be a bit of a issue....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27777.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1570690  
Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 AM
kochj

And now the great ''Sweat'' is on.... are they being shipped from Illinois [farthest away] or Nevada [ much closer to me ] Hmm... MM
If you ordered online... or have a customer ID (IF your ordered from TowerHobbies), you can look at you customer INFO and see EXACTLY where it is comming from...
Infact, you can look at ALL your orders over the last 3-years from TOWER>....

(DO NOT....AND I AM VERY SERIOUS about this....Let your sig. other know about this)

Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 AM
skillet92

ORIGINAL: kochj

(DO NOT....AND I AM VERY SERIOUS about this....Let your sig. other know about this)

LOL OH how true that is!!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:54 AM
MormonMike

OK guys, What Happened !? Bill, where is your WACO being shipped from and by who. I just found out from Tower that the WACO has now been pushed back to late March. What's going on? Some one please shed some light on this. [:@][:@] MM PS, yes, it's possible the saleslady had her wires crossed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.