Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

You Can Win First Place at a Warbird Rally With An ARF? Really?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

You Can Win First Place at a Warbird Rally With An ARF? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:45 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: You Can Win First Place at a Warbird Rally With An ARF? Really?

Building, at least around here, used to be encouraged and supported very well by the local hobby shops. Lots of kits, building supplies, and even scale accessories were always on hand. Not any more. The foam ARF and electric helicopters and planes, prop and jet, has taken over. ARFs in general dominate the shelves. I'm going to look next trip to see if there is even one full build kit on the shelves. They have been selling them as "specials" on the discount table for awhile. The supplies being stocked more and more cater to the ARF buyer, not the builder. Sad, but understandable. These hobby shops need to stock what is selling or being asked for, and that is mostly the ARF. Look at what dominates the magazines. That is what these guys read about and then go buy.

I can still get most anything I need for building ordered, and at very good prices, but very little cash and carry for the scale builder. Engines of all types and sizes and retracts are the exceptions locally. Aero Tech still has a wonderful selection of both. Wonder how long that will last.

Building for me started with my first trainer. where I learned the basics of building with wood and even fiberglass. This knowledge was advanced through more and more complex aircraft right up to scale retracts and warbirds. It was a progressive process for me. Where does a guy go to get a kit of a trainer now, off the shelf anyway. He doesn't. I just hope the builders of these kits like the Sig Kadet, my second plane, will continue to stay in business and offer these fine airplane kits.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:55 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: RACJ

3D's are for flyers
Warbirds are for buffs
Scales are for the Post Office and fat women......period

Easy now. You can't REALLY fly, till you can grease in a 50lb war bird without breaking something. Anybody can fly and land a feather.

This is really off topic, but I couldn't help myself, being a giant scale pilot of both aerobatic and warbird types. I know well the challenges, and I can tell you first hand, the skills NO NOT translate over to the heavies. An entirely different skill set is needed. Don't be deceived by the frequently seen oval flight patterns by the scale warbird. They are complex, and a real challenge to fly safely.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:59 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although ARF's do dominate the market, I believe there will always be demand for kits, but only for certain models such as warbirds. ARF's are catering mostly to people starting around 50 years old. At that age, most of the kids are out of the house. A person in that age range has time to build. People between the ages of 25 and 50 simply dont' have the free time to build as the older fellows do. Between work, kids, kid's activities, and the wife, there isn't a whole lot of time to build.

For the ones who do have time to build, they want to build something impressive, something that really catches ones attention, something scale, not a trainer or fun fly plane. That's why I think that in the long run, the only kits you'll be able to buy will be scale kits.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:06 AM
ram3500-RCU

Maybe so, but I can't imagine my first build being, say, a Meister P-47, as good as the kit is, it still leaves a lot of details to the builder, as do most warbird kits.

Starting out as I did, I learned all the basics like working with balsa and hardwoods, gluing, glassing, installs and such, on simple airframes.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:10 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

I'm sure I'm going to get jumped on for this, but I just cracked open my Model Aviation mag (Jan '11 Issue) and was a little saddened to read the article about ''Warbirds Over the Pacific.'' With such a powerful-sounding name, I was expecting to see some of those amazing birds you see in the Top Gun videos, or at least a few kit-built (if not scratch-built) models. Instead, first place in Military was won by a KMP ARF...the kind with the control-horn backing plate proudly strutting its stuff on the top side of the control surfaces.

I remember when you left your ARF's at the home field when you went to a meet (unless it was a fun-fly), and took your years-long, kit-built birds to the fly-ins. I know I sound like a snob or whatever, but is the building part of the hobby just dead?? You can win first-place with a cookie-cutter ARF now?

Disheartened.... [&o]
I could not find the part of the the article about the arf winning an award for best military,but I did see that it was a kit built BUSA 1/3 stearman that won best of show. And it was very clear that this "event" was not a contest at all but purely a funfly/public aknowledgement of those who have served our country well. I was moved by the part of the article where the author noted that one of the ww2 pilots was sad because there was no Corsair being flown, which the author promptly corrected by bringing his out and flying. The vet was moved to tears and I imagine that he would have cared less if that plane had been kitted,scratched,bashed,arf'd or what ever. I think all that mattered was that someone remembered. I've built kit's, bashed arf's, and flown' em out of the box, and I do it for no one else but me. And that's how it should be,and if someone wants to give me a complement for what I've done with it thats o.k. It kind of bugs me when a new plane comes out and the scale guys jump all over the the thread about all the things that are wrong with it and what a piece of crap etc. etc. We all can't be scale modelers and we shouldn't have to feel like 2nd class modelers if we don't build, or be insulted for having an opinon different than the other guy. Let's all just have fun with what ever level we want to take it to, and take every opportunity to help,encourage and treat each other with respect. That will go along way to attracting new modelers to this great hobby. Happy New Year, and may all your landings be wheels down ![8D]
Old 12-31-2010, 09:31 AM
yard-dart

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Maybe so, but I can't imagine my first build being, say, a Meister P-47, as good as the kit is, it still leaves a lot of details to the builder, as do most warbird kits.

Starting out as I did, I learned all the basics like working with balsa and hardwoods, gluing, glassing, installs and such, on simple airframes.
You're right, definately not the first kit for a newbie builder to attempt. But, I would definately say that the Y/A line would be. If a person doesn't have any help at all with building a kit, as long as he knows about RC Universe, he can get the right instruction from reading these forums. It's absolutely amazing how much help you can get on here these days. Even video tutorials.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:04 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"
A father and kids at the store were curious and came over to talk for a minute. The one they all thought was "really cool" wasthe WM trainer
. "
Exactly , you know why ??? we the rc community add the womenly drama , draw the lines and get all hormonal .
I have played hockey and then coached the last 12 years , I remember when the first guy came in with a carbon fiber stick vs wood , no drama , no "oh my its not wood "
we all sat back and waited to see what would happen , then due to the incredible flex in carbon fiber sticks , a good shot becomes great !!!
No drama , no banishing from the "club" lol , no divison and even the leagues allowed them to be used .Today , its a real choice , there are benifits to both wood and carbon fiber , wood has a softer feel , better control of the puck for passing and receiving , carbon fiber has better flex , quicker release ect and predomantly used in the game .

But what the game/change lacked was the drama , the tradionalist did not cry , devide or banish , they simply waited to see if this new technoligy was good for the game or not .
Old 12-31-2010, 10:35 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: yard-dart

You're right, definately not the first kit for a newbie builder to attempt. But, I would definately say that the Y/A line would be. If a person doesn't have any help at all with building a kit, as long as he knows about RC Universe, he can get the right instruction from reading these forums. It's absolutely amazing how much help you can get on here these days. Even video tutorials.
I wish I could agree. Even with on-line help, a heavy fiberglass war bird is hardly a place to start, IMO. Y/A is not an ARF. Very good kits, but still a lot of building and installing. The construction involves many phases of building technique, and control installs are critical on these complex heavy planes for safety concerns. Not for the beginner to building IMO.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:56 AM
yard-dart

I guess it all depends on the type of kit. Sure, a .40-.60 sized laser cut Stick kit would be fairly easy for a newby, I would think. Then there's covering it. I'd rather glass than apply covering any day of the week.

Getting back to warbird kits, I'm simply stating that a Y/A kit (to me) would be easier to build than a full wood kit. True, none of it would be a snap to a newbie, but at least there's no wing building and sheeting involved. A full wood kit involving building the fuse & sheeting it, building the wing & sheeting it would probably deter a lot of people from ever attempting a kit of any sort ever again.

By the way, I'm just one step above the newbie myself. If it weren't for a very good friend helping me, I wouldn't be at the stage I'm at now. Luckily, I learn quickly and have developed a lot of patience since my Y/A. Coming on here listening to other people's advice and techniques has definately helped too.

Once I get my Meister built, I'll definately have to post some pics. Hope mine will turn out as good as Zombie.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:12 PM
ram3500-RCU

Impressive progress for a guy newer to building indeed. We would all love to see those pictures.

I have over 40 years in building and flying, but I am still humbled by the talents of many fellow modelers with far fewer years behind them, and their creations I have seen at events.

I guess what I'm saying, is that to me, although a fiberglass fuselage etc. saves some building, it requires different skills as well. For instance, knowing the difference between the kinds of glass, and what glues to use, and how, with each, when building a kit with fiberglass parts. Gear installations can be a challenge as well, not to mention all the other systems and control. Much to learn and know, to build a plane that looks good, flies right, and lasts. The typical spectator at contests and events have little idea how hard we all work on our creations.

Yes, sites like RCU are a wonderful resource. I only wish this had been around when I got started, but we survived somehow, on more localized and personal help.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 PM
carrellh

Yes, sites like RCU are a wonderful resource. I only wish this had been around when I got started, but we survived somehow, on more localized and personal help.
When I built my PT-60 I got most of my advice from a couple of club members. If I got "stuck" I tossed it in the truck and took it to the airfield. Paul and Bill would look it over and point me in the right direction. I was an RCU member at the time but it sure was nice to be able to get hands on help. Bill has moved on to a new hobby but Paul still answers a lot of questions for us.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:18 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

ARF is KING !
Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a hoot! The same guys complaining about arfs where complaining about cheater on the builder of the model rule before ARF’s. so I guess that is good news cause the builder of the model cheating has stopped.

I always figured that the subjects we model, Warbirds, where ARF’s. So this is just a natural progression.

Joe
Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 PM
opwan
My Feedback: (2)

Maybe you shoulda bought a cheaper ARF so you could put more money in your engine so that wouldn't happen!

"I, for one, have moved on to kit-built planes. Once they're completed, they're simply a much better quality and better looking bird. That can't be matched by any ARF in my opinion."

Exactly. Here is perfect example. My Meister 50lb P-47. At Monster Planes, a carb bolt broke during flight. The resulting dead stick didn't go as well as I would have hoped. Here she is during the stall at the end of the "landing". It hit so hard it broke the right gear trunnion and bent the housing. Minor damage to the cowl was easily repaired. NO OTHER DAMAGE TO AIRFRAME!!!!! Not even the wing saddle area or gear mounts. I can't see any ARF surviving this, even at considerably less weight.

BTW, she flew again the next day and all day Saturday.

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...#ixzz19heSjWyy
Old 12-31-2010, 08:57 PM
opwan

Should we also start machining our own engines so we don't have to buy those darn ARF ones? Face it ARF's are here to stay and have taken over the market. Reason being is people just don't have as much time to build now days, I know I don't. ARF's are just a quicker way to get me to the hobby I've loved for over 30 years. Who gives a Rats Ahole if it was scratch built! This hobby is supposed to be fun, how you arrive at that fun is a matter of choice, build or ARF. I don't show up at the field to boast about my scratch built one of a kind whatever, I go to fly and enjoy myself. Should ARF's win build oriented scale contest, NO. Should ARF's win flight contest, YES. ARF's are here to stay so get over your bad self and just accept it. If you like to build fine, It's a HOBBY not politics or world hunger which would be something to debate about instead of whining because someone's ARF looks better than a model that you sweated over for a year and a half!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:08 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: opwan

Maybe you shoulda bought a cheaper ARF so you could put more money in your engine so that wouldn't happen!

''I, for one, have moved on to kit-built planes. Once they're completed, they're simply a much better quality and better looking bird. That can't be matched by any ARF in my opinion.''

Exactly. Here is perfect example. My Meister 50lb P-47. At Monster Planes, a carb bolt broke during flight. The resulting dead stick didn't go as well as I would have hoped. Here she is during the stall at the end of the ''landing''. It hit so hard it broke the right gear trunnion and bent the housing. Minor damage to the cowl was easily repaired. NO OTHER DAMAGE TO AIRFRAME!!!!! Not even the wing saddle area or gear mounts. I can't see any ARF surviving this, even at considerably less weight.

I'm replying to this comment for the benefit of some in the scale community who may be wondering what happened. Not for you, as you obviously are clueless. The engine in question is a 3W 80 I. NOT cheap, AND of very high German quality. In my experience, 3W is top shelf. We surmise that when I replaced the reed valves and reinstalled the carb, I must have over torqued the bolts. They held for about 20 flights. It was just bad timing that it failed when I was flying at an event 1000 miles from home. It's the way things go for me sometimes. Then I compounded the problem by attempting the normal landing instead of keeping the gear up and sliding in. I'll not make that mistake again.

CJ gear overnighted me parts, and I had her flying the very next day, with the help of Frank Tiano and his shop. Great bunch of guys down there.

I build war birds because that way, after all that work, they will last for years. I use as many as 5 different kinds of glue and EVERYTHING gets some. Most ARFs are falling apart in 100 flight or less. Usually less, unless they are meticulously gone through.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:11 PM
ram3500-RCU

[quote]ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

[quote]ORIGINAL: opwan

[quote]ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

''I, for one, have moved on to kit-built planes. Once they're completed, they're simply a much better quality and better looking bird. That can't be matched by any ARF in my opinion.''

Exactly. Here is perfect example. My Meister 50lb P-47. At Monster Planes, a carb bolt broke during flight. The resulting dead stick didn't go as well as I would have hoped. Here she is during the stall at the end of the ''landing''. It hit so hard it broke the right gear trunnion and bent the housing. Minor damage to the cowl was easily repaired. NO OTHER DAMAGE TO AIRFRAME!!!!! Not even the wing saddle area or gear mounts. I can't see any ARF surviving this, even at considerably less weight.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:15 PM
ram3500-RCU

I'm replying to this comment for the benefit of some in the scale community who may be wondering what happened. On the other hand, it is new years eve, so alcohol may be involved. Happy new year.

The engine in question is a 3W 80 I. NOT cheap, AND of very high German quality. In my experience, 3W is top shelf. We surmise that when I replaced the reed valves and reinstalled the carb, I must have over torqued the bolts. They held for about 20 flights. It was just bad timing that it failed when I was flying at an event 1000 miles from home. It's the way things go for me sometimes. Then I compounded the problem by attempting the normal landing instead of keeping the gear up and sliding in. I'll not make that mistake again.

CJ gear overnighted me parts, and I had her flying the very next day, with the help of Frank Tiano and his shop. Great bunch of guys down there.

I build war birds because that way, after all that work, they will last for years. I use as many as 5 different kinds of glue and EVERYTHING gets some. Most ARFs are falling apart in 100 flights or less. Usually less, unless they are meticulously gone through.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At a recent fly in event, I happened to have the only model in the Civilian Scale catagory that was not an ARF.... The judges gave me the award by default...but hey, it was a very nice model!...

At a recent float fly, I had the only Military Scale aircraft there, an ARF PBY Catalina. I did not get that award...it was given to a non scale model with military markings that was not an ARF. Seems unfair to me...

These things can go different ways on different days. ARFs are part of the fly in scene and if a guy has done a good job prepping it and flying it, it should be considered for awards. At our club, the original design, plans built or kit built model that is the standout in the catagory gets the award. If there is not one, it slips to the standout ARF model.

Seems fair to me.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:30 PM
f86mighuntr
My Feedback: (7)

Ok i have read this topic and agree and disagree with the comments stated. For us people that dont have the MEGA bucks to go out and buy the gigantor shop with every tool known to the modeling man and the super liner trailer to tote there scratch built babies to the field we buy the good old SEMI-SCALE ARF. Because its what the average joe can get that will hopefully inspire him to keep with it and eventually get that kit they always wanted to build and one day build it. For those of us modelers that have the time and the shop space and the budget to go and build then do so. i turn 21 in feburary and plan on getting started on my dream kit build project (PICA 1/5 Scale WACO) that i have been hunting down for 6 years now. But i also am eyeing some ARF's with the same envy because its a short project that i can get and enjoy untill i get my kit done. the beauty is in the eyes of those that see it.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:14 AM
morgan175

i'm new to the hobby would love to build a plane.  have bought a simple series and tried did not come out the best.  the thing is the enjoyment of flying even though i'm not good at this yet either.  have noticed at the fields the segragation between the people in this hobby and this is dishearting.  i believe a competition for me would actually get me out of the hobby.  i understand about the building your own but this is more for your enjoyment not others.  i do envy you for your talents.   sorry for the bad spelling.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:00 AM
rcmiket

Here's another slant. Since this was a "fly in' rather than a scale contest what you you rather have? 3 guys with kit or scratch built aircraft or 50 guys with a mixed bag of kits and ARF's. I'll take the later. Since most of these types of events wither honoring vets or promoting R/C normally have are motivated by another reason, raising money wither for a charity or increase club revenues. The times of full blown scale contests are dwindling in favor of fly-in types of events. I'm not saying there no place for them anymore they just attract a different level of modeler. Some who's pockets are very deep and their aircraft while marvels of workmanship are way out of the reach of the average guy. It's all good guys.
Mike
Old 01-01-2011, 07:12 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: morgan175

i'm new to the hobby would love to build a plane. have bought a simple series and tried did not come out the best. the thing is the enjoyment of flying even though i'm not good at this yet either. have noticed at the fields the segragation between the people in this hobby and this is dishearting. i believe a competition for me would actually get me out of the hobby. i understand about the building your own but this is more for your enjoyment not others. i do envy you for your talents. sorry for the bad spelling.
First, I have two words for you. 'spell check' I can't do this without it. Second, welcome to this great hobby. Don't be discouraged. Just like any other sport, you have all kinds of people participating. Please be assured from someone who has been in the hobby since 1969, that you will find far more guys you like, that those you don't. Most guys just love aviation like we do.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:11 AM
opwan

Well like I said , go buy a GOOD engine like a Desert Aircraft! Been flyin one for 4 years no problems! Clueless

ORIGINAL: opwan

I'm replying to this comment for the benefit of some in the scale community who may be wondering what happened. Not for you, as you obviously are clueless. The engine in question is a 3W 80 I. NOT cheap, AND of very high German quality. In my experience, 3W is top shelf. We surmise that when I replaced the reed valves and reinstalled the carb, I must have over torqued the bolts. They held for about 20 flights. It was just bad timing that it failed when I was flying at an event 1000 miles from home. It's the way things go for me sometimes. Then I compounded the problem by attempting the normal landing instead of keeping the gear up and sliding in. I'll not make that mistake again.

I build war birds because that way, after all that work, they will last for years. I use as many as 5 different kinds of glue and EVERYTHING gets some. Most ARFs are falling apart in 100 flight or less. Usually less, unless they are meticulously gone through.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 AM
opwan

I'd rather land a 50lb warbird anyday that has the reflexes of a drunk snail than an 8oz foamie in a 5 mph wind! Granted there is alot more at risk with the warbird, just sayin

ORIGINAL: RACJ

3D's are for flyers
Warbirds are for buffs
Scales are for the Post Office and fat women......period

Easy now. You can't REALLY fly, till you can grease in a 50lb war bird without breaking something. Anybody can fly and land a feather.

This is really off topic, but I couldn't help myself, being a giant scale pilot of both aerobatic and warbird types. I know well the challenges, and I can tell you first hand, the skills NO NOT translate over to the heavies. An entirely different skill set is needed. Don't be deceived by the frequently seen oval flight patterns by the scale warbird. They are complex, and a real challenge to fly safely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.