Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

What’s the best way to install DU-BRO flat hinges?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

What’s the best way to install DU-BRO flat hinges?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:31 PM
PA BEN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What’s the best way to install DU-BRO flat hinges?

The instructions say to make 6 pin holes in the slot area, install hinge and soak CA glue through the pin holes, then cover your wing. I want to put these in an ARF already covered. What’s the best way to do this to keep them aligned?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: What’s the best way to install DU-BRO flat hinges?

Here ya go, and this has worked for me for decades.

Buy Tite Bond glue with the flat applicator cap vs the round. This works nicely for inserting the glue. This glue cleans up with water.

-Make sure the slots are deep enough and allow for the hinge in the middle on each side

-Pre fit your controls and make sure they fit tight to leave a minimum gap but still have the required travel.

-Squeeze glue in one half of each hinge and insert the hinges.

-glue the other slot for each hinge and insert the other side now.

-wipe excess off with a damp cloth

-flex the control to line up the hinges

-the next day, a simple flex of the control will break any excess glue loose on the outside and you will destroy the wood before you will pull them out.

The wood glue reaches through the holes in the hinges to 'pin' them in place.

Since these hinges have been available, I have used this method. I have never had a hinge fail when glued this way.

It is not necessary to physically pin the hinges with pins or tooth picks.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Or, try this method. Use a Q-Tip to apply a light coat of petroleum jelly to the hinge portion. Take a soda straw like you would get at McDonalds, and flatten about 3" of one end. Mix up some epoxy, and use the flattened end of the straw to pick up some epoxy inside the straw. Wipe off the outside of the straw and insert the flattened end of the straw in the hinge slot. Using your fingers, squeeze the straw behind the glue and slide them down the straw, forcing the epoxy into the hinge slot. Insert the hinge and let the epoxy cure. This method ensures you have adequate glue inside the hinge slot. I have used this method with DuBro hinges for 30+ years with zero problems.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 AM
PA BEN

Is it best to glue one side and let it dry so the hinge w/hold while you align the other side?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

I always glue one side at a time, usually the control surface, then wait until the glue is cured before doing the remaining side.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Doing both sides at the same time, and moving the control a couple times before the glue sets up, lines all the hinges up perfectly, and automatically. No binding or warping can be "built in " this way. It works and it is just as strong. I suppose you could slide the control surface on just one sided after gluing, work the control to line it all up, and then remove it till the next day, but why take two days on something that is just as well done in one?

Epoxy is no stronger that Tight Bond in this application, but a lot messier. I used it as well in my experimenting years ago. Absolutely no advantage to it, and I hate the mess in this aplication

Recently, I have been trying Gorilla Glue on hinges in places where I would like to have seen more wood than there is. I like it much better than epoxy because of it's expanding quality, but I wouldn't recommend that method for someone's first time, never having worked with it before. It too can get messy if you over do it, and it locks a hinge joint up pretty good unless you use a drop of oil or some Vaseline as mentioned above. Tite Bond is simple, user friendly, easy to clean up, you will never lock the hinge, and basically fool proof.

With all due respect, I never, never do only one side at a time. Whether I'm using flat, round, or even CA hinges. In the case of pinned hinges, if you get one or more just slightly out of line (easy to do), you have a bind which many times will, result in a warp, when moved. Now, it will still fly, but you will be unconsciously overcoming imperfections you need not have to. As we all know, straight flies better.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I have started using Gorilla Glue for the hinges. I open up the slot a little then shoot some glue in the slot. After I insert the greased hinge I put some of the blue painters tape beside the hinge to block the expanding glue. Then install the other side to align things. Acetone will clean up the Gorilla Glue before it hardens. Sometimes I also overdo it by drilling more holes in the nylon hinges. Must be my OCD kicking in. On Ca hinges I have put the tape on first and then used CA glue in a tight slot. This blocks the glue from running down the surface and seems to prevent the "smoke" from getting on the covering.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:29 PM
PA BEN

This is some good info. Thanks