Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Customizing SIG LT-40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Customizing SIG LT-40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:56 PM
CHESTER1090
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Customizing SIG LT-40 ARF

forgive me if these appear to be stupid questions, but I'll ask them anyway. I am in the process of assembling the LT-40 and wanted to make it a little different from the norm. First I would like to add some additional, colorful trim to the wing, in particular the bottom, to make it more visible. The question is if I were to attach monokote to the aerokote on the plane will it adhere properly? Also any other simple changes to the plane that increases visibility or even possibly the operation?

Thanks

Steve
Old 01-09-2011, 07:11 PM
ChriCYWG

Default RE: Customizing SIG LT-40 ARF

Unrelated to your color enhancement... but WHERE did you find an LT-40 ARF.. my friend and I have been looking for months!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve if your LT40 is the ARF version, just put the decal set on it and go fly. The LT40 ARF is a big and very visible trainer. I recommend beefing up the front side of the firewall just like the back side. Some triangle or even square wood will do the trick. Just make sure you leave enough room for the engine mount.

The LT40 ARF was the plane that I learned to fly on. I have also trained others to fly using this plane. I am currently building another LT40 ARF - the SIG version purchased off ebay This one I am converting to a tail dragger. But that is not a simple modification. The plane is fine with its tri cycle gear. I just like tail draggers.

Todd
Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 PM
AKSUMMIT8

I emailed SIG about the LT-40 ARF's probably won't see one for awhile, they are having issues with supply. I converted to a tail dragger with a Saito .56 probably the best flying plane I ever owned I sold it awhile back, bad mistake!
Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 AM
Mr. Canadian

Hey ChriCYWG check this out http://www.greathobbies.com/producti..._id=SIGRC67ARF
I guess Great Hobbies just got 2 in, cause they weren't there before?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 AM
CHESTER1090

Thanks everyone for the input. To answer the one question, I bought this plane, an ARF, at my local hobby shop over a year ago. Finally just getting time to work on it. Got the wing together, sealed the engine compartment with polyurethane, hinged everything and put on some of the provided decals yesterday. Per the advice of some of my club members, I'm leaving the original three wheel stance. But after seeing pictures on RCU and elsewhere of these planes with different designs, I wanted to do something
different, so I bought add-on monokote and a template for cutting out stars; thought I would put some of those on there. That's the reason for the original questions, do they need to be ironed on or will they stay just fine with the adhesive thats already on them?

Also as far as beefing up the engine mount bulkhead, it already has pine triangular reinforcement on the back side, not sure there is enough room to add some on the engine side. There was 2 pieces of balsa triangle material in the box, this may be for use of reinforcing the stab that is mentioned in several comments or anywhere else thats needed.

Nice plane, covering in good shape right out of the box, didn't need any attention; from what i could see all glue joints appeared to be sound. I am going to add some reinforcement on the inside where the wheel struts are fixed, I think, or maybe leave it as is so that it will shear off in a hard landing.

Final comment, out of this hobby for 20 years, now have grandchildren to impress, the state of the hobby sure has changed/improved.

Thanks for your advice.
Steve
Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
CCFPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the monokote sticking, it depends on what kind you have. If it is the "trim" sheet, it sticks with no heat. The roll requires either heat or monokote solvent.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:01 PM
CHESTER1090

Thanks CCFPilot for the reply. Since what I have is 5 inch wide strips, I assume I can just stick them on in the same manner as the kit decals. A little Windex and slide them in place. Either way, I am not trying to win awards with this first one.

Thanks.
Steve
Old 01-12-2011, 05:46 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

The peel-and-stick trim will do fine, but don't let too much fuel/oil get on it.