Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:50 AM
rob6894
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Hi Guys I am in need of a little help. I bought a used patty with I have a BME 50 in my plane with a 16oz tank and I only have enough fuel for about 8 minute flight. So One of the guys at the field told me to get a 24oz tank. My question is who makes a 24oz tank that will fit on the tank mount that is on my wing tube as I would rathertnot cut anything to make the tank fit. I also notice that every timeI banked for a turn and started to level out the plane would burped or skipped just once any ideas. This is my first gasser.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 06-06-2005, 11:53 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Dubro has their standard 24 oz. that works fine.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:19 PM
DrDeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,

I have the same setup. I hadn't flown my Patty in a year. I flew her this past Sunday with a Dubro 20 oz tank that I put in when I built her. With proper throttle management you should have enough fule for a good 11 or 12 minute flight with fuel to spare! The first flight went like the following:

1) Range tested the plane for about 2 minutes with the engine at different throttle settings
2) Stopped engine and waited for the skies to clear
3) Started the plane and had a friend take her to to check her out, did not top off the tank.
4) He gave me the sticks after about a minute and I flew for about 4 minutes and I wanted to get comfortable with landing her again. Different than my other planes (Cub, Funtana, Shoestring). My first landing OK, taxied back took off and circled around for a second landing. This time landed a little short rolled out and flipped. No damage to the plane but the engine stopped.
5) Started her up again flew for about 3 minutes landed and had about 15%-25% left in the tank.

I flew her again for about 10 minutes with about 2 minutes of fuel left.

Third flight, I took off and let a friend fly her and before we knew it 10 minutes was up. Sill had fuel left. If you read through this thread (I know it is a lot) but most BME users have a 20 oz tank.

Hope this helps. Save yourself the added weight of fuel. The 20 oz tanks fits perfectly in there.

Lee

Old 06-06-2005, 04:39 PM
J. AVANT

Could someone check there Patty to see if there is up thrust built in or should I correct this before I install the cowl?

Any help in this matter would be A big help.

Thanks in advance,

J.Avant
Old 06-06-2005, 05:17 PM
John Murdoch

J... The motor box and fire wall is built correctly. That's all I can say cause I've never checked the offsets/thrust lines. I've had three Pattys and had to work with the right thrust some, but I've never had a problem with up/down thrust. The next time I have my cowl off, I will check it though.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:27 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Well it's been a while since I checked in on you guys, glad to see the thread is still going strong. I also see some folks are still asking "what engine should I use?" some things will never change. For those of you afraid to ask (as well you should be!) the DA50 with a 16oz. tank mounted on the wing tube is the correct answer.

Rob,
Lean out your engine because the burbleing and low run time lead me to believe you are running rich. A 16 oz. should be plenty with the BME proped correctly. Speaking of props, anyone running a Zinger or APC with a gas engine, slap yourself for me now. Get a wood if you are starting out and upgrade to carbon when you want a little more performance.

Baker,
Glad to see you are finally flying your Patty, about 150 questions and much "resurch" went into that build didn't it.

Flasher,
I retract what I told you in the PM I sent. Aparently the 635's suck ass and should not be used on a 1/4 scale gasser. 645 MG are probably the minumum but I'd save up for some JR8611's because they stand behind them much better and are a better value in the long run.

Ram & Murdoch,
Isn't it time to move on to a Wildhare or Extreme Flight yet?

That's all for now boys, untill the next time..........................
Old 06-06-2005, 06:33 PM
J. AVANT

Thanks John,
I Just thought I'd ask before I mounted the cowl.
I set the plane up where the flat part where the canopy sets is level then checked firewall,F1 former,and prop hub.motor and firewall show to have 1-deg. of up
Thanks for your Info. if you would the next time you have your cowl off check that for me and post your findings.

Thanks,J.Avant
Old 06-06-2005, 06:35 PM
John Murdoch

BB.. Nice to see you're alive and well.. I have moved on but I just can't seem to want to help when someone asks. I know.. I know.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Wing-Ding

J. Avant,

I just used my AeroPerfect Digital Control Throw Meter to check the firewall and Engine mounting surfaces. This is what I measured on my Patty. First, I set zero in the same place you did: on the flat part where the canopy sets. From that reference point, F1 measures .35 degrees up thrust and the engine mounting surface measures exactly .10 degrees down thrust. Then again, that's MY Patty.

Hope that helps.

Marl
Old 06-06-2005, 07:14 PM
J. AVANT

Thanks Wing-Ding,
Thats exactly what I needed,With that, I think I need to correct my upthrust to O-deg before I mount my cowl.Would that be your assumption on the upthrust.

How does yours fly?

I noticed this when I was going to mount cowl, and the back of the cowl was not parallel to F1.The cowl looked like it was going up hill to line up with the spinner.

Thanks,J.Avant
Old 06-06-2005, 07:22 PM
3-D Flyer
My Feedback: (150)

Well guys, after a year and a half of Bliss i lost my Patty to a low Harrier gone bad a couple weeks ago. [&o] The up side to that is tomorrow the Fed-Ex man brings me my new H-9 Extra 260! D/A-50 Powered Joy! Anyway i really did enjoy this plane and it will be missed..... that is untill my buddy from the field re-builds it and shows up with it and gets me Jelous that i did not fix it myself!!![:@] lol...... I am to lazy to fix planes, i would rather just pick up a new airframe. Anywho...... I am chimeing in to ask a question, can anyone tell me what would be the closest color match to The red color on the patty??? I know the red is Monocote Missle red (spelling?) but i prefer to use ultracote myself. So is Ultracote True red or flame red the closest match????? I ask because the same guy i gave my ooooops to gave me a 33% Extra in return! Said it was just to big a plane for him, i hated the color tho, and missed Patty so figured i am going to revive her in a larger version! So i now have a stripped down extra awaiting covering. But i can not seem to make up my mind on the red color.... Ultra cote true red or flame red??????? Which is closest to missle red??? from monocote? Thanks all! Dave.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Wing-Ding

I haven't flown it yet, so I can't say. That's why it was so convenient to measure because the cowl is off and no engine mounted. Just getting ready to mount a DA-50. I remember reading somewhere in this thread about changing the location of the engine by 1/8" to keep the cowl from looking like it was going "up hill". No bad effect from this as I recall. It does appear that the designers intended the thrust angle to be zero.

Marl
Old 06-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Baker

BasinBum
Glad to see your back, I am not sure what you mean by what you said. But yes I am still flying the mess out of my Patty & I AM LOVING HER TO DEATH!!! She is still going strong even with the Fuji BT-64.

Have a Good Day
Baker
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99833.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	281359  
Old 06-06-2005, 08:07 PM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: Baker

BasinBum
Glad to see your back, I am not sure what you mean by what you said. ...........
You are? Check post #1370 of this thread and get back to me on that one. Anyways I'm glad you like your Patty with the Fuji and it looks like a nice place to fly there in Southern Illinois.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:27 PM
J. AVANT

Thanks Wing-Ding, I'll change it to O=deg. and mount the cowl. Your info. is very helpful.

Thanks,J.Avant
Old 06-06-2005, 08:58 PM
rob6894

Hi BasinBum, I will try leaning her out on the hi end I am using a Menz 22x10 prop it seems to pull her good. Just one more thing when I landed the plane the other thing I notice was that the tank was a little sucked in. it was hard to tell if a rubber band that held the tank slid over the vent line and pinced the line or if the rubber band sliped over the vent line after the tank sucked in a bit. I dont know if this could have caused the skip sound or not also the vent fitting on the tank is on the top but towards the back.

Best,
Rob
Old 06-06-2005, 09:43 PM
BasinBum

Rob,
I couldn't tell what is going on with the rubber band but if the vent is clogged the pumped Walbro carbs will suck in a tank. Use a tach when you lean out the engine and take it to max RPM and then back off a couple of hundred RPM's, don't over lean it based on my recomendation. The adjustments on these are very sensitive and 1/8 of a turn should have an effect. Also you'll find the low end is every bit as importrant as the high end and you can end up chasing your tail when trying to adjust. If all else fails go back to the factory settings and start over but use a tach for idle and top end so you know what you're dealing with.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:08 AM
Baker

Well we all have had are up and down time. I would also like to point out that I was told that I need 180oz. torque servos on all controls. I have really been flying the mess out of my patty, sence I have Patty 2! I only have 124oz on controls and have not had one fail yet. Although If I was doing one now I would go 180oz or larger to be safe.
Good call Bosshossv8
But as I said I have not had one fail yet.
My Club has a big air show coming up this Saturday at Marion, IL at the airport. I hope things go good, and I hope my Patty flyies great for it.
I am alittle nervise, but werent we all at are first big home town event?
Baker
Old 06-07-2005, 02:15 AM
Baker

Oh and yes it is a very nice place to fly BasinBum! I don't know how some people fly on and average Sunday with 30 plus MPH winds.
Seems we normally have about 0-10 MPH winds here on good days.
it looks like a nice place to fly there in Southern Illinois.
I think we have a pretty good field here in Southern IL
Old 06-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Danorn
My Feedback: (1)

Well to say the least, I am extremely disappointed. I received my Patty the last week in May and just finally opened it up to get at it. I started with the rudder package and the covering looked like a big raisin. I tried to heat it down, but it is bad and looks like s%^&. I opened up the rest only to find the vertical fin crushed into the fuse [:@]. The box was not the least bit damaged. I phoned the HS where I got it from and they were very unhelpful and rude. They are about 5hrs away so I couldn't look before I bought it. I finally got the manager on the phone and he set me up with GP service who I contacted and they were very willing and wanting to help. I just have to get some pics to him and we will go from there. It was suggested in this thread somewhere to look through the box at the LHS before buying, I wish that would have been an option, and I now second that advice. I do think GP will make good on this and I will let you know.

Daniel
Old 06-07-2005, 11:18 PM
rob6894

Hi BasinBum, Well I went out a bought a 20 oz dubro tank today and put it together. I was just about to install it when I realized that their are two different gas convestion kits. I bought the regular sullivan gas convertion kit. I noticed my plane is all plumed with the larger 3/16 tubing and this is 1/8. I figured I could just use the 1/8 up to the t fitting and from their on out I can use the the 3/16 tubing that is already in place. Sullivan sells a large capacity stopper kit should I have gotten that one or will I be ok with my current one for use with my bme 50cc.

Thanks,
ROb
Old 06-08-2005, 12:03 AM
electron
My Feedback: (1)

Wow had my PW for two years and just found this thread... LMAO.............

Well I read through a bunch of the posts tonight and I didn't find a one that has my setup... I call mine light and happy.... BTW mine weighs in at 13 1/2 lbs dry...

Check out the setup specs on my PW 300s...

PW 300s Extra from Great Planes
8 Tower TS 70-MG Super-Torque 133oz servo's
Graphite Landing Gear
Two 2200 MAH 6V nimh packs for main power in par.
One 1800 MAh 4.8 nimh for ign.
Futaba R148DP PCM 8 channel receiver
Futaba 9C digital radio
MVVS 1.6 graphite piston and Film Can ignition larger bore carb

AND YES I put a MVVS 1.6 (28cc) petro in the plane... I had a 1.6 OS FX in it as thats what the manafactor suggests. I think the 1.6 petro might have slight less power then the OS 1.6 glow but if there is, it's little differance and with my light setup the 1.6 glow was way more then it needed.

Guess it depends on what you are going to do with the plane and sure you can stick a 5+ pound motor in the plane, but you have also added serveral extra pounds to the model. And yes your power to weight ratio will go up but so will your wing loading. I see PW's all the time with ZDZ 50's in them and large sub c running batteries batery isolalters ETC. They end up with 16 and 18 pound planes where as I end up with a plane almost 5lbs lighter that doesn't need huge cubic inches to make it fly aerobatic.

With the 1.6 on it everyone was suprised at how well the plane pulls around, sure I am not going to hoover with it but it does have strong vertical. I do have one club member thinking about changing his PW around after I ran through the sportsman pattern with mine. My snaps are a lot cleaner, a heavy plane will have the same rate of roll -- BUT, due to the inertia of the weights, it will take a while longer to achieve that rate.

The same goes for pitch -- if you have a heavy engine, you will have to compensate by moving servos and batteries (and maybe add lead) aft in the fuselage. Inertia from that weight distribution will cause a slower initial reaction to elevator control. The same reasoning concerning weight in the ends of the plane also applies to directional control, slowing down reaction to rudder inputs.

Just my take on why I like to make my planes light...
Old 06-08-2005, 12:36 AM
BasinBum

electron,
I can't fault you one bit for going with the lightest set-up possible. It's just that most buy the PW as an intro gasser for the new breed 50cc motors. I think it's a waste when someone starts adding smoke, dual batteries or any other thing that they read about in the Giant Scale forum. This is a a small airframe and needs to be kept light for the exact reasons you stated if it is gonna fly well. If you keep the speed up all the time and don't know better it won't matter but for those that have flown a light large plane a heavy Patty won't do.

Rob,
I like the Hayes tanks because you don't need to convert anything. I still say a 16oz. tank is enough if the engine is tuned and the prop is right.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:27 AM
rob6894

do you think the tubing from the tank to my t fitting 1/8 size would be ok?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:26 AM
BasinBum

The inlets on a Walbro carb seem to be 1/8" I.D. so I don't think it matters if the rest of the system is bigger or not. Most of the T's I have seen are smaller also so having larger tubing doesn't really matter. The gassers don't suck as much fuel as large glow engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.