Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Baker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

I need some help!! I have a 1/4 Scale Patty and I just got a C.B. Associates Tail Wheel Braket and I was wondering how I should install it!! I do not want to cut up a new plane if I dont have to. Can ANY body tell me how to do this. I would be greatful!!!!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:12 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Jason, very nice mounting diagram. I made one sort of like it a while back. Did you use the long DA standoffs? I have the 3" ones but just measured and you are right it will take a shim of ply or something to get the 7".

Joe !~)
Old 04-10-2004, 12:51 AM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

heavy, heavy, heavy on the fuji 64.

I had mounted a cb tail gear assy. in a different aircraft. If you can cut a 3/16 to 1/4" thk. ply to the shape of the tail and get some epoxy down in the rear of the fues. with a long dowel and coat the ply plate also and manage to get the darn thing back there you should be done with that when the epoxy is cured, simply use screws.

gunny
Old 04-10-2004, 04:31 AM
R/C Foolish

To all,

As I have been with this thread as well as the other Patty thread from the beginning, it amazes me at how many times the new people ask the same questions? Engines, servos, hinge points, CG, GP quality,
wing tubes have all been talked about over and over again. I am not saying that new people should not ask questions, but read the threads first as I am sure all of the answers are already out there.

The Fuji 64 would not be the right choice for a Patty Wagstaff, it is heavy and probably all little too much power.

This is just my opinion and I am not flaming anybody. But I have read EVERY post from the beginning
and I recommend that all new people do as well because there is alot of information in here.

John
Old 04-10-2004, 05:12 AM
rcguy1

Try http://litepilots.com They are custom made and really high quality at a reasonable price. This happens to be Marilyn and you may order a different color shirt or even Marilyn as a Brunette. When asked about a male pilot, I say Patrick is flying my Patty today but with the tinted canopy the pilot is not to easy to see. John didn't make Marilyn or Patsy at the time to fit a 1/4 scale plane.

I also have been with both Patty threads from the beginning and the first Patty thread has 5,535 post and this one only has 1,279 for a grand total of 6,814 posts to read. I agree with R/C Foolish that all newbies read both threads before asking a question but the only problem with that is they may be to old to fly or worse when they have completed the required reading.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24318.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	120603   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97327.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	120604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86374.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	120605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52058.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	120606  
Old 04-10-2004, 05:14 AM
R/C Foolish

Hey Russ,

How is the trailer coming? Everything ok at home?

John
Old 04-10-2004, 05:46 AM
rcguy1

The trailer is coming along a lot slower than I expected. Here is the link to the trailer thread : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1526716

Baker, forget the Fuji BT-64A for the Patty. The Fuji 64 engine weights in with muffler at 5.6 lbs. The rated horsepower is 5.7 @ 9,000rpm but the PRACTICAL RPM range is 1,300 to 7,200. So I would guess you would be lucky to get close to 5 hp out of this engine. I'm using a BME 50 in my Patty that weights 2lbs. less and I get a full 5hp out of her. Also, my Patty's CG is right on with two rudder servos in the tail and an engine that weights a total of 3.6lbs. which includes battery pack, muffler and electronic ignition. So if you use the Fuji 64, guess how much weight you would need to add to the tail in order to obtain the proper CG. You will end up with a Patty that weights over 20lbs.with high wing loading, not good for aerobatics and real difficult to land without flaps. I'm not knocking the Fuji 64 but this engine is better served in a Warbird style airplane which should be nose heavy in order to fly correctly and flaps to land.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74707.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	120608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30015.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	120609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87687.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	120610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92398.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	120611  
Old 04-10-2004, 09:32 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Havn't seen you guys posting in a while. I share the same sentiments about some of the repetative questions but we were all new at one time. I would hope that someone would at least go back a few pages and read before asking a basic question and you'd think they would search or skim through with something like the Fuji question but it keeps coming up.

Baker, you asked the same question on Feb 18, what answers did you get then? Are you hoping someone will come along and tell you it will work great and you can forget about the ten people who told you it is a lousy choice? I'm sorry to be so blunt but you asked, twice.

RCGuy, The trailer looks *****'in but I think the PVC rack might be a little week on the road. I'd stick it in the garage or shop and go with metal shelf brackets with pipe insulating foam.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Baker

Thanks for the POSITIVE response gunny11 on the Tail Wheel. To every one else that has a problem with me or anybody elses questions I think you should get out of the wonderful hobby of RC because you are to HOT HEADED.. I do not see a problem asking several people one question BECUASE THEY ALL HAVE THEIR OWN OPINION!!!!

So for evey body out that that puts up with the SO CALLED NEWBIES and the people that are just interested in everything
THANK YOU
JAMES BAKER
Old 04-10-2004, 12:11 PM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: Baker.. I do not see a problem asking several people one question BECUASE THEY ALL HAVE THEIR OWN OPINION!!!!
Of course you don't, how could you after nine posts? The problem is guys like RC Foolish and many before him got tired of answering the same questions over and over and over because people were to lazy to bother to read a little of the thread before asking a question that has been asked 20 times before. So you end up with people who don't have nearly the experiance in general or with this plane left to answer specific questions.

You never bothered to answer my question, what have you learned about engine choice so far? With all the opinions out there are you looking for an opinion you like or are you looking for what most people tend to agree on?
Old 04-10-2004, 03:26 PM
SilverEagle2
My Feedback: (9)

Jason, very nice mounting diagram. I made one sort of like it a while back. Did you use the long DA standoffs? I have the 3" ones but just measured and you are right it will take a shim of ply or something to get the 7".

Joe !~)
I had mine made by Roger at aerographixs. Good stuff.

Jason
Old 04-10-2004, 08:42 PM
GoeKeli

Thanks Jason. Roger makes nice stuff. I have the 3" DA standoffs and with just a 1/4" piece of ply I can make 7".
Do you have 2 rudder servos in the tail on your DA setup? I want to run just one in the tail.

Joe
Old 04-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Baker

BasinBum
I am looking for what most people have to say. I did not have in mind to make any one mad. I just want to know from alot of people what to go with. Great Planes told me that the Fugi BT-64 A was an excellent choice for the Patty. Of course it is about the most exspencive engine for it. at $430.oo and I was just wondering if they where trying to get me to spend alot of money. I love to read about what people have to say. I have read this one about 4 times now. I have noticed that alot of People are going with a DA 50 or a ZDZ engine. So I am wondering just how good my Fugi will work.

As I said I did not want to upset any one. Just like LOTS of Opinions.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:48 PM
SilverEagle2

Thanks Jason. Roger makes nice stuff. I have the 3" DA standoffs and with just a 1/4" piece of ply I can make 7".
Do you have 2 rudder servos in the tail on your DA setup? I want to run just one in the tail.

Joe
These pictures should answer alot of your questions.

[link=http://www.se2skunkworks.com/photogallery/Patty/index.htm]My Patty Page[/link]

Jason
Old 04-11-2004, 12:10 AM
GoeKeli

Wow! Thanks Jason! Where is your receiver battery? Is your cg on the wing tube center? Those are some very nice pictures.

Joe
Old 04-11-2004, 12:48 AM
BasinBum

Baker,
You didn't make me mad, I don't get mad about anything written on RCU. I do get frustrated and a little annoyed but not mad.

I would take a recommendation from Great Planes with some skepticism since they only sell Fuji and a cheaper gas engine. At two pounds lighter the DA, ZDZ, BME and Brison are all better choices and have more power than the Fuji equivalent. The 62 is heavier still.

I don't want to be repetitive but if you like a lot of opinions there are a ton of them already written in the two large Patty threads, check it out.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:28 AM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

As pointed out already the only reason Great Planes recommends the Fuji is because they sell them. I would tend to think the Fuji would be a fairly good engine if you stripped away the all the magneto garbage (probably losing a pound or more there) and adding a electronic ignition. By the time you did all that you'd have spent what you could have bought in the first place, a BME, DA, ZDZ, 3W, etc,etc; with half the weight, a electronic ignition and more reliability and power. Just my thoughts on the subject. I use a BME50 in my Patty Extra and can say this engine has been such an easy starter, light, powerful, reliable (never quit from the very first start on) and a stump puller that I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Look back through the threads and I'm sure you'll read the same over and over that the Fuji is a bad choice for this plane when there's so much better on the market. And don't forget, GP wants to sell you whatever they sell, because they're in the business to make money, whether it's the right choice or not.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:34 AM
gunny11

You hit the nail exactly right on the head.

Gunny
Old 04-11-2004, 09:45 AM
BasinBum

Jae,
Now if we could start a FAQ with your post and point the next person who asks to it...or maybe we'll refer the next five people who ask to Baker!
Old 04-11-2004, 10:09 AM
SilverEagle2

ORIGINAL: Goekeli

Wow! Thanks Jason! Where is your receiver battery? Is your cg on the wing tube center? Those are some very nice pictures.

Joe
Just ahead of the tube. With the DA-50R, you need everything up front to balance.

Jason
Old 04-11-2004, 10:29 AM
GoeKeli

Aaaahaaa! Thanks Jason! That would make sense. That DA is very light and probably very close to the moki 2.10. I read through almost the entire old GP PW thread but that was just before the 50 was out and then read most of this thread and searched internally. Jason, do you find there is enough clearence with a 22" prop?
Has anyone sealed their control surfaces on the PW? I liked that on my last (dead!) model.

Joe
Old 04-11-2004, 10:34 AM
SilverEagle2

Plenty for a 24" prop. I sealed all mine.

Jason
Old 04-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Baker

Thanks to what kind of info I have gotten on my Fugi BT-64A I have relized that is was a bad choice! As it was a $430.oo Engine with out tax or shipping I can not aford to get rid of it and buy a ZDZ 50 or what best suits the Patty with me being in College! Honestly I will have to say that I think it is gonna have to stay. Sence this is my first 1/4 Scale I knew from the get go that I would make a few mistakes. Like I did with my Prop, I bought a Power Point 22x10 when I should have bought a Zinger 22x10. I was told that a Power Point would do damage to my engine over a period of time because of vibration!! I have also realized that I needed to change from foam wheels to rubber because my foam wheels are getting flat spots in them and last but not least that the tail wheel needed to be replaced although at first glance of it I new that!

If anyone has any other tips or tricks that should be done then please let me know. I would be very greatful!! Does any one fly close to Gatlenburg Tennessee? I am going there in may and I would love to visit another field while I am there!

Thanks to ALL
James
Old 04-11-2004, 02:48 PM
R/C Foolish

READ THE THREADS!
Old 04-11-2004, 03:36 PM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Okay, you guys. I'm building another Patty right now (my fourth) and I need to know a few things:
1: What engine is best? Should I go glow or gas?
2: Where do I put the fuel tank?
3: What's the correct distance for the spinner backplate?
4: Where do I get standoffs?
5: Should I use digitals or analogs?
6: What size battery packs should I use?
7: If I use 6V, do I need a regulator?
8: Do I use one battery pack or two?
9: What's the best switch?
10: What tailwheel setup is the best?
11: Should I go dual rudder setup or pull-pull?
12: Should I use carbon fiber landing gear?
13: What hinges should I use?
14: Where's the best balance point?
15: Should I use ball links or just regular clevises?
16: Where do I get better graphics than the ones supplied?
17: Do changing the wheels make it land better?
18: What make and size of prop do I use for the engine I've selected?
19: How do I make the canopy stay on?
20: What kind of fueler should I use?
21: What size fuel line should I use?
22: What's the best radio for this plane?
23: How do I reinforce the firewall?
24: Where do I mount the receiver if I'm going with gas?
25: Should I seal the control surfaces?
26: Where do I run the antenna?
27: Do I use extra long servo control horns?
28: How do I reinforce the wheel pants?
29: Should I mount the landing gear cover differently than in the instructions?
30: How do I keep the fuel lines from slipping off?
31: How do I make my wing tube where it won't stick?
32: Where do I get a different spinner and what kind should I get?
33: Anyone have a picture of the cowl cuts for the motor I'm going to use?
34: Oh, did I ask what's the best engine to use?

Thanks for your time and your help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.