Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

E-Flight Advance 25e ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

E-Flight Advance 25e ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flight Advance 25e ARF

I keep finding myself drawn toward the new E-flite Advance 25e ARF. This model is a rework of the Hangar 9 Advance 40 ARF, an old sport plane design that pre-dates the the Pulse XT by quite a few years. The basic design is very similar to the Goldberg Tiger or the Sig Four Star, and it appears to be an aerobatic low-wing trainer.

The Advance 25e looks like a really nice built-up-and-covered model with Ultracote covering, and the whole ARF only retails for $99.99. There hasn't been another ARF like this readily available for a while. It's from a major supplier, but it's affordably priced, and it would be inexpensive to get one of these built and flying.

Has anybody out there taken the plunge yet? I'm surprised I haven't read more about this plane yet!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87879.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1576548  
Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: E-Flight Advance 25e ARF

Big Ed,

I am reviewing the Advance for RCU. I am happy to say that, so far, it's been a cool plane! I have not been able to fly it yet due to poor weather conditions, but I have assembled the Advance and it is patiently waiting for a nice day to fly! Assembly was easy- the manual is a breeze to follow- and was a very pleasant experience. It appears as though the Advance will make a great second plane, as well as a great sport/aerobatic flyer! Stay tuned to the review section here on RCU for the full review!
Old 03-10-2011, 03:22 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It kind of caught my eye too. Sometimes it is nice to have something inexpensive, simple and fun to fly as a break from the more complex or capable airplanes.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly! Actually, when I saw it, I though of my son. He'll be 10 this summer, and is successfully flying the Flyzone Skyfly Max. The Skyfly Max is a great trainer, but he'll be ready for something more "advanced"soon enough, and Advance fits the bill perfectly.

The Advance 25e ARF was designed by Mike McConville, and I think he did a great job on this one! I'm excited to get it in the air!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Sometimes it is nice to have something inexpensive, simple and fun to fly as a break from the more complex or capable airplanes.
I hear that! It's so much fun to just fly a simple plane now and then.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:14 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi guys!

Here it is again of me using the capable E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) in yet another model that is pretty heavy and large.opcorn:

I just had to do it because I like my models light and like being different.

Picked up this nice looking model and most especially light wing loading at HOBBY-TOWN USA in Central Florida and got 10% off plus I will have a $15.00 coupon next time I come back!

I am certainly going to keep my model on the light side and I already have the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) waiting for it. Yes, I do realize it is half the weight of the recommended E-Flite Power 25 and the Center-Of-Gravity will be paid attention by using some 3-Cell, 3650's that I have lying around.

Here is the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv):
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...505#quickSpecs

6.7(E-Flite Power 25) - 3.1 (E-Flite 480) = 3.6 oz is the delta weight comparison between the recommended and what I will be using.

Well,

Seems like a good power system setup as it provides very good Airspeed and keeping the model light as possible.

This model has a very slick airframe but, lets give it some drag and so, I would estimate a top speed of 65MPH instead of the Calculated.

Just in case anyone doubts the power of the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) power system then, I would point you all to one RC Model that I still have and fly using this same power system

Right here on the Video you can see a larger and heavier World Models (Airborne-Models is the distributor) P-51D Mustang EP-40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNYa77UHBfE

================================================== ==
Took out my Advance out of the box and out from plastic liners to say TOP Quality is an understatement!

The balsa and light plywood and especially the firewall assembly is just First Rate. The covering is incredible, without any bubbles, wrinkles or any other type of covering imperfection! The model is super light and I will keep it that way.

Hi guys!

For those that "are" interested in following an alternative power system than what is recommended (I did this for several models in the past) then, feast your eyes on what I was able to accomplished last night with respect to installing the lighter but, capable E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) with the ParkZone 2-Blade 9.75 X 7.5 using ParkZone Propeller adapter.

The spacer hardware were a mix of some E-Flite spacer hardware for the mini-Pulse and the rest was standard Dubro Hardware. Notice that I did not use that Hex Bolts from the mini-Pulse as I needed them longer so, I used some Du-Bro 4-40 X 1 1/2 Bolts

A few pictures:

This is an earlier Picture showing the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) with the wires in the down position but, notice that I did not have to use the additional Motor Mount - Spacer!

For correct down and right thrust, I used washers at the top:

Using the proven E-Flite 30-AMP Switch mode ESC it was perfect and does not get in the way of installing my plan of using the smaller 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C discharge, Li-POLYs

Also, decided on using a rock solid AR500 that I have been using with a retired ParkZone T-28 "Navy" that finally had an issue with the Stock Motor and the model needs some down time for needed repairs.

Could not use those STOCK wheels provided by the model as I like to have a better command of the model while TAXI operations on my RC Club with lumpy Grass field so, I went with some super light "FOAM" wheels (they look for Glow, right!) and they fit perfect with the provided STOCK heavy duty Landing Gear Hardware!

I like a true believer of recommendations with regard to Pilot Figure for this model, I paid $9.99 plus tax on the recommended Pilot Figure at my local hobby store and to my horror, the instructions say to CUT AWAY a portion of the bottom section in order for the Canopy to clear!!!

Nope, I selected a nice Pilot Figure that did not need "Any" modifications (World Models Pilot Figure) and it matches the color scheme of this model to the T.

The Pilot Figure that I paid $9.99 will be going back to the Hobby Store!

I selected the one on the LEFT!

One major deviation that I took was not using the CA Hinges that the model came with because I do not use CA. What I normally use is Computer Floppy material for Hinges and it is a personal preference and nothing more so, I am not recommending it to anyone here as I just do not think it is a good enough reason to deviate from the the normal instructions within the manual.

Preparing the tail feathers (Horizontal Stab and Vertical Stab):

More hinging for Ailerons:

Installing the Horizontal Stab:

Installing the Vertical Stab:

Installing the Rudder:

Installing the Elevator:

Installing Aileron Servos:

Installing the Nose Wheel Push Rod Tube:

At the FUN FLY on Saturday morning (10-22-2011) at Moon Port Modelers RC CLub, Titusville, Florida and thanks to Mark (Marked) who captured my Maiden Flight of my Advance!

Summary:

This model comes with Spectacular Quality. The Sheeting "Foam Core" wings look terrific and covering is JOB NUMBER #1! The build is not your typical Park Zone Warbird model like putting the tail feathers and control rods as it is much more involved and you need to have much more patience than those PNP / BNF models. For example, the plastic hardware for the Control surfaces such as the Control horns and plastic horn anchors are flexible such that you will spend much more time trying to screw all those securing bolts threw the control surfaces and a little thought process is required before you proceed to the next step.

I used a lower powered (Wattage) power system (E-Flite 480, 1020Kv) and it flew the model delightfully in 12 MPH gusts during today's FUN-FLY event and I was just a few who dared to fly.

Okay, in conclusion....here is the Video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oLzWnzkAWU[/youtube]

Okay,

First a few pictures of my weigh-in setup using a digital scale and my kitchen area.

FUSE without Battery:

FUSE with Battery (3-Cell, 5000mAH, 12C, Li-POLY):

Battery:

Wing assembly:

Therefore,

Wing Assembly: 21 3/8oz.

FUSE w/o Batt: 24 3/4oz. (Yes, the picture shows 1lbs. - 9oz. but, I did get a more steady reading of 1lbs. - 8 3/4oz.)

Battery: 12 7/8oz.

Since 3/8 + 3/4 + 7/8 = 2oz.

Thereby, the total FULL UP WEIGHT of my Advance "is"

59oz. "Or" 3.68lbs.

Since I measured 223 Watts steady,

223 / 3.68 = 60.6 Watts/Lbs.

Certainly, this low Watts did not prevent the model to perform loops, rolls and good airspeed considering the high gusty conditions we had today at the RC Club.

The landing was completely DEAD STICK!