Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

HANGAR 9 1/4 SCALE J-3 ARF-IS THERE A LEFT AND RIGHT AILERON????

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

HANGAR 9 1/4 SCALE J-3 ARF-IS THERE A LEFT AND RIGHT AILERON????

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:17 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HANGAR 9 1/4 SCALE J-3 ARF-IS THERE A LEFT AND RIGHT AILERON????

I have assembled my Hangar 9 1/4 scale J-3 ARF and both ailerons do not match the wing at the inboard and outboard junction. The ailerons appeared to be symetrical and the instructions do not say there is a left and right aileron nor do they advise that there is a difference. However, I suspect there is and with a 50/50 chance I installed them wrong. Just curious if anyone knows the answer?? I am about to cut the ailerons off and swap them. Any body??
Old 04-01-2011, 05:04 PM
lou1947

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HANGAR 9 1/4 SCALE J-3 ARF-IS THERE A LEFT AND RIGHT AILERON????

On mine if i match the inboard the outer aileron is up about a 1/16th of an inch up. Hope that helps.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:20 PM
airbusdrvr

Here are the instructions in the assembly manual for attaching the ailerons to the wings:"Repeat Steps 1 through 8, and using five hinges per
aileron, hinge the ailerons to the wing panels."

The ailerons appear to be similar and symetrical when held against each other(as the horiz stab, elev). However, there is a very slight difference in the left and right aileron. They CAN be mounted to the wrong wing. After removing the ailerons and hinges and reinstalling on opposite wings, the ailerons match perfectly. It would be nice if the manual just mentioned that the ailerons, though not labeled, are different.[][]
Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

As I recall, there was a hard-point on the bottom of each aileron. That should settle the issue of which aileron goes on which side.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 AM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: Lifer

As I recall, there was a hard-point on the bottom of each aileron. That should settle the issue of which aileron goes on which side.
If there is I missed that. I did what I thought to be a thorugh inspection of the aileron. But there is no denying that there is a left and right aileron which I did not catch. Also, I noticed that when drilling the hole for the aft control horn screw that there was not as much material internal to the aileron as for the two front control horn screws. I have the leading edge of the control horns(clevis hole side) in a vertical line with the aileron hinge line. Regardless, the situation is over and the ailerons are now properly mounted.