Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

NitroPlanes False Advertising

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

NitroPlanes False Advertising

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 PM
doctorgo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NitroPlanes False Advertising

NitroPlanes Item #90A225M_Mustang60Marie is advertised as "All-balsa construction" and "top quality balsa and plywood construction". It is not! The fusilage and attached vertical stabilizer is FRP, fiberglass re-inforced plastic. Beware!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 PM
irdabrit

Default RE: NitroPlanes False Advertising

Charge back the payment to them via your CC company, paypal or bank.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:57 PM
outdoorhunting

Geesh !!!!! You guys keep buying that stuff from them, KNOWING ALL the bad press they get. I don't understand. If you see an animal that looks like a rattlesnake, moves like a rattlesnake, & rattles- DON'T BEND OVER & pick it up !!!!!! If you DO pick it up, & you get bit, - DON'T whine like you just didn't think it would happen to you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I got burnt by Nitro or Hobby Lobby ( the internet one) I would be too embarrassed to come on RCU & complain. WE ALL TOLD YOU SO !!!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 AM
radius1x1

Gotta agree with Outdoor, I've mentioned NP myself several times; JUNK, JUNK, JUNK. Yes I know that most of what we buy originates from China, but when will we get it through our heads? When you buy from an AMERICAN CO., the money trickles through OUR economy first. Let's all try being Americans first and cheap, second...  The job yousave may be your own!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:37 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

They have a reputation that is hard to miss as a member of this forum. There IS a REASON that they will sell you a plane at a fraction of the cost of places like Tower Hobbies and the other major RC sellers. Tower's customer service is second to none, as is Horizon's, etc. You get what you pay for - not the first one to say it.

I think 'false advertising' is a stretch - they are human beings running a store/website and make mistakes like the rest of us.

Go to the Nitroplanes support forum and find their rep "John", make a post and he'll talk with you through PM. It might take a little while, but they will probably make it right. Do not call them, don't bother emailing them, it will get you nowhere (only more upset with waiting on the phone with no results).

I hope it works out for you. I understand the frustration as there is a lot of passion wrapped up in this hobby, and I understand being out an amount of money and not having what you thought you'd get. Unfortunately you now have to wait, part of the process of dealing with NP.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

If I got burnt by Nitro or Hobby Lobby ( the internet one) I would be too embarrassed to come on RCU & complain.
I think you mean "Hobby King"... "Hobby Lobby" is an excellent company
Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last 2 purchases from Nitroplanes are 2 of my favorite fun flyer ships. Both are foamies, one is the 1400mm Stuka and it runs and flies fantastic. The other is the new T-28 by Airfield, arguably one of the best PnP foam arfs on the market. I guess it all depends on which ships you buy from them. I'm sure they'll refund you if you return it.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gee, I remember when people paid extra and got all excited about an "FRP" or in other words fiberglass fuselage.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alsoit is pretty easy to do a good search in the forums to find out what a airplane is made of before you buy it. Nitropanes do have some very good flying models. At the price....expect to do a few mods if need be. You got to talk nice with them on phone...they was real nice too me. They found a wing I needed and sent it out right away....well after a few calls....but hey, they are busy! Capt,n
Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: doctorgo

NitroPlanes Item #90A225M_Mustang60Marie is advertised as "All-balsa construction" and "top quality balsa and plywood construction". It is not! The fusilage and attached vertical stabilizer is FRP, fiberglass re-inforced plastic. I purchased this model on the basis of it being constructed from wood so I can customize it. I cannot do so.
Since the description of this model is mis-represented, and I have no doubt that the principles at NitroPlanes are well aware of its construction, I will demand a total refund for the model and shipping charges as well as a prepaid shipping label for its return. If not, I will simply urge the Federal Trade Commission to take action.
Why don,t you read how others liked this same model. Maybe it will work ok with what mods you can do. Why change everything??? If you want to have it exactly your way...scratch build one.............
Old 07-28-2011, 11:54 AM
opjose

That Marie is an excellent plane... very nice for the price.

If the OP is complaining about FRP or Fiberglass then this complaint would apply to almost any ARF manufacturer that uses a Fiberglass Cowl, plastic canopy, fiberglass or plastic wheel pants, etc... on their "all balsa" planes.

Silly complaint IMHO.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:53 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Gee, I remember when people paid extra and got all excited about an ''FRP'' or in other words fiberglass fuselage.

That was before all the wannabe professional 3d pilots came to the fore. Now they won't even eat breakfast without checking the weight of the various pieces of toast on their plates in the morning.

I model (and live) without a nagging scale in my life. Yeah, and I look it too.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-29-2011, 03:40 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: opjose

If the OP is complaining about FRP or Fiberglass then this complaint would apply to almost any ARF manufacturer that uses a Fiberglass Cowl, plastic canopy, fiberglass or plastic wheel pants, etc... on their ''all balsa'' planes.

Silly complaint IMHO.
Read the OP again,, he complains the plane was not constructed the way the Web Site said it was,,, he made the purchase based on ow the plane was constructed.

The silly part is saying it's "False Advertising",, IMO it's more like mistaken advertising, Unless we are to believe they intentionally misrepresented the construction of the model to trick people into buying it,, most could care less.

Pretty easy to tell from this photo that it has a fiberglass fuse,,,, molded panel lines and all,

Old 07-29-2011, 04:12 AM
captinjohn

The airplanelooks pretty nice too me. Boy some people expect a lot ands hould be satisfied whith waht they got and make the most out of what the have. That is a big problem....not really being satisfied with about anything! Just saying...............
Old 07-29-2011, 04:15 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: opjose

If the OP is complaining about FRP or Fiberglass then this complaint would apply to almost any ARF manufacturer that uses a Fiberglass Cowl, plastic canopy, fiberglass or plastic wheel pants, etc... on their ''all balsa'' planes.

Silly complaint IMHO.
Read the OP again,, he complains the plane was not constructed the way the Web Site said it was,,, he made the purchase based on ow the plane was constructed.

The silly part is saying it's ''False Advertising'',, IMO it's more like mistaken advertising, Unless we are to believe they intentionally misrepresented the construction of the model to trick people into buying it,, most could care less.

Pretty easy to tell from this photo that it has a fiberglass fuse,,,, molded panel lines and all,

I'm under the impression that the OP didn't contact the distributor/retailer before complaining on this forum. If that is true, it is bad form, so to speak. Please contact the seller first and give them a chance to react. I doubt that Nitrplanes would have hesitated to make it right, had they been informed of the construction change. I've bought over a dozen models from Nitrplanes and I don't have a single complaint, as yet. This is not to discount others' experiences. Just my two cents.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 AM
outdoorhunting

Yup, I meant Hobby King. Sorry.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:46 AM
scale only 4 me

Some of you guys are missing the OP's point I guess,,
He's not complaining about the quality of the plane, or if he got his money's worth,,,, he upset the plane has a fiberglass fuselage (after all) because it means he can't modify it..

I'm guessing he had a B-model or P-82 conversion in mind.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 AM
opjose

Re: Mistaken

That may be... such ads are typical for Asian ARFs where translations are horrible...

You're not going to get a finish like that on most inexpensive wood/balsa ARF's without some form of fiberglass or FRP material.

Everyone would complain if the plane did NOT look like the photos instead, for good reason.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 AM
doctorgo

Scale Only 4 Me got it right! I wanted to convert this D-model to a B-model. I relied upon the description rather than the pictures because over the years (this would be model #71) I found the description to be more accurate. Take, for instance, the videos of this model flying. The P-51 shown is a completely different model. Note the square air scoop. As SO4M points out, I have no beef with the quality nor the price. I just cannot work with FRP. Simply returning it would cost me about $95 for shipping both ways and a 15% restocking fee. That's my only complaint.

On a positive note, I found the CMP models, available from other retailers as well, to be well constructed of good grade wood, but still needing work. For instance, the shear web wood grain is the wrong direction and the tailfeathers are sometimes out of proportion and the hardware needs replacement and the plastic landing gear crushes when axle screws are tightened and the firewall needs re-inforcement and recessed servo seats break loose. And when it is re-coverd and completed, I have a custom re-built airplane that performs the way I like with a .91 2-stoke/cycle and generally the costs total about $300. I did seven to date. Unfortunately, the models I used are "out of stock" so I'm looking for others. Thus the P-51.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just sell this model to one of your club members, and write it off as a lesson learned about current retailers. At least that way you can recover more of your money than returning it.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

I got one of their CMP 82" AT6 and it is the best flying of all 6 of the big warbirds I got. Yes, it needed a lot of work to make it strong and reliable, but the baseline for the price is outstanding. I have no complaints. H9, GP, TF, arfs, all need modifications to make it reliable. Shut up and fix it up like you want! Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47530.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1642135  
Old 07-31-2011, 03:15 AM
scale only 4 me

Old 07-31-2011, 06:24 PM
bjor

ORIGINAL: doctorgo

NitroPlanes Item #90A225M_Mustang60Marie is advertised as ''All-balsa construction'' and ''top quality balsa and plywood construction''. It is not! The fusilage and attached vertical stabilizer is FRP, fiberglass re-inforced plastic. I purchased this model on the basis of it being constructed from wood so I can customize it. I cannot do so.
Since the description of this model is mis-represented, and I have no doubt that the principles at NitroPlanes are well aware of its construction, I will demand a total refund for the model and shipping charges as well as a prepaid shipping label for its return. If not, I will simply urge the Federal Trade Commission to take action.
Personally, I not sure why you would bother to post this threat prior to even speaking to them first. Ironically - you have taken the time to write this thread and threatened to take them to the FTC - without having even spoken to them.
How about you pick up the phone and ask them first how they can work with you to resolve the proplem. If they then tell you to P off, then post your complaint to the RC community and take whatever action you feel necessary.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

Geesh !!!!! You guys keep buying that stuff from them, KNOWING ALL the bad press they get. I don't understand. If you see an animal that looks like a rattlesnake, moves like a rattlesnake, & rattles- DON'T BEND OVER & pick it up !!!!!! If you DO pick it up, & you get bit, - DON'T whine like you just didn't think it would happen to you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I got burnt by Nitro or Hobby Lobby ( the internet one) I would be too embarrassed to come on RCU & complain. WE ALL TOLD YOU SO !!!!!

Exactly.

Nitroplanes/ CMP is more of a Builders ARF. Matter in fact, it's not really a ARF because many times in order to have the planes safe enough to fly the covering needs to come off and the plane would have to be reglued in many area's, re-enforced in others, then recovered. Hardware is not safe to use (If you can use it without stripping the threads and etc.) It's not worth it! At times one aileron is thicker than the other, paint chips off too easy etc etc etc. I'd rather build a kit and know it's done right than build a so called ARF that I have to make it into a kit.

Pete
Old 08-04-2011, 03:55 PM
doctorgo

Exactly!
Two examples.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17837.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	1644331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27648.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	1644332  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.