Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hobbistar 60mkIII

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hobbistar 60mkIII

Old 08-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Ground Zero
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbistar 60mkIII

Hey yall...first post here in a few years. Getting back into the hobby after a 7 year break Picked up a Hobbistar 60 mkIII at the LHS to get my feet wet before I rehab a few planes i had in storage. Picked up a Power 60/esc/Lipo for a potential electric build (my first electric) or the other option is I have a Saito 100 to drop in. The build could go either way at this point...I was hoping to get some feedback on what the better option would be. Didnt want to commit to a direction if there were any big concerns. Thanks again....good to be back
Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Drmeff

Default RE: Hobbistar 60mkIII

Hi there! You knew you couldn't stay away forever!

I just sold my MKIII but I had the stock OS 65 LA on there and it had great power and great vertical, even pretty quick grass field take offs. I was using a 12x6 Master Airscrew prop and it was a blast to fly. I personally love the sound of an engine connected to the front so I would go with the Saito, but that is just me. The MKIII was a tank, I'd opt for the torque of the Saito.

Either way, have fun!
Old 11-13-2016, 01:01 PM
Blueyonder
My Feedback: (3)

I also needed something along the lines of a forgiving (but fun) trainer as I've been out of the hobby for a few years. I took advantage of a recent Tower sale and picked up a Hobbistar 60. So far I'm liking this plane..... love the old school big wing trainer aspect! (Also like that this has the semi symmetrical wing and super light wing loading!) I have an OS 91 FX looking for a home. This should be a fun combo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1177.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	2189910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1180.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	2189911   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1782.JPG
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2189912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1787.JPG
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2189913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1783.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2189914  
Old 11-13-2016, 08:10 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blueyonder, Good choice with that Hobbistar 60. It is a good flying, rugged, as you say old school trainer. I bought one back in about 2002 and still have it in my fleet. It gets flown only once or twice a year now but is still fun when it's turn to fly comes up. Mine has been converted to a taildragger and been reskined with a current Nexstar look. The original O.S. LA 65 still spins the prop and is really a good power match for the airframe. A Saito 100 or your O.S. 91 FX are way more than needed but that's what throttles are for. Either of those big engines will require a fair amount of weight added in the tail area to achieve C/G balance. My old taildragger one with the LA 65 needed 3/4 oz on the tail to balance, yours with a 91FX will need a little more. The small amount of extra weight for C/G balance won't be an issue in this plane, but the 91 FX really is more power than you will use and if you also have maybe a 61 FX or 65 AX, use them and save the 91 FX for a larger plane down the road. Good luck with this project with whatever engine you use. It will fly well.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:37 PM
Blueyonder

Thanks Larry for the input. Nice to hear your Hobbistar has been a rugged mainstay in your fleet. My 91 fx is the only 60-90 size engine I own presently. I did some research and it turns out the 91 FX weighs the same as the 61 FX, so hopefully I won't have to add a lot of extra tail weight to dial in the CG balance. Fingers crossed..
Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

If you search the thread here you will fine one with a DLE 20 in it!

Bill S.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:25 AM
Blueyonder

Originally Posted by Twin_Flyer View Post
If you search the thread here you will fine one with a DLE 20 in it!

Bill S.
Yes, noticed that too. Seems a variety of power plants have been used on this bird.