Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Vmar arf's

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Vmar arf's

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:58 PM
brentg269
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vmar arf's

Anybody here tried and the vmar arfs...I am looking at the vmar stik...60 size..just wondering if vmar's quality is better than most of the low cost imports..

Thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 02:09 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Vmar arf's

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83578

http://search.aol.com/aol/search?que...yword_rollover
Old 10-18-2011, 02:35 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: brentg269

just wondering if vmar's quality is better than most of the low cost imports..

Thanks
Their quality is not better but their sense of humor is significantly higher - there is no way they can be serious about what they supply - surely.

From my experiences with the brand - they are mostly junk. Poor gluing, Poor covering and weak wood used. They fly ok for a very short time though.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:13 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody here tried and the vmar arfs...I am looking at the vmar stik...60 size..just wondering if vmar's quality is better than most of the low cost imports..

Thanks
If you're experienced in building and repairing, you won't have any problem with Vmar planes.

My VMar Extra (40 size, the very earliest one with the plain red & white trim scheme) has probably a thousand flights on it, and I'm not fixing it again. The covering's faded, my patches don't look very good, and now the hinges are starting to loosen up. A .46 FX pulled it around with authority, and it was good for learning aerobatics, inverted flight, etc.

There was a certain amount of reinforcing done before this thing went in the air. If you're not up for checking all the joints and reinforcing the firewall before assembling the plane, you'd probably better stick with one of the more popular vendors.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

Old 10-19-2011, 04:37 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At twice the price this is still a better deal

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMM8&P=7

I had a V-Mar Piper Tomahawk. I bought it because I liked the looks. The box said it was .40 sized and weighed 5 pounds. The WING weighed 5 pounds by itself. It flew with a 60, and the landing gear would tear out if you looked at it cross eyed. And if you damaged their pre printed covering there was nothing in the US market that matched in either color or heat ranges.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM
brentg269

Been there done with a Nitroplanes english blue cub...only I did not do enough checking, it still flies but has some battle scars, I was hoping to find a low cost vender that might be a notch up from the run of the mill chinese imports, looks like it's all much the same, seems lately i have seen some name brands that have their wares imported are having some issues like this as well, guess I will keep looking at reviews and see who has the least problems...Thanks guys for input and links, this site really helps to make the right choices...

Brent
ORIGINAL: Scar

Thanks
If you're experienced in building and repairing, you won't have any problem with Vmar planes.

My VMar Extra (40 size, the very earliest one with the plain red & white trim scheme) has probably a thousand flights on it, and I'm not fixing it again. The covering's faded, my patches don't look very good, and now the hinges are starting to loosen up. A .46 FX pulled it around with authority, and it was good for learning aerobatics, inverted flight, etc.

There was a certain amount of reinforcing done before this thing went in the air. If you're not up for checking all the joints and reinforcing the firewall before assembling the plane, you'd probably better stick with one of the more popular vendors.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

Old 10-24-2011, 04:33 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Vmar Aero Subaru several years ago and it looked pretty good in the air and actually didn't fly to bad. However,,,the wood was something other then balsa and you had to be careful just picking the thing up or your hand would go through it. On the maiden flight attempt the firewall and engine flopped out of the front of the plane just taxiing down the runway. My favorite was the look on the pilots face that they used. Poor pilot looked like he was scared to death to be inside that clunker. After an afternoon with some CA and epoxy reinforcing everything I could reach without doing major surgery...I did fly the plane many flights and did get comments on how well it looked in the air, but man was it poorly built. I also owned an old hand me down Vmar stick 60 that looked like it had seen its better days when I got it. I flew the bejesus out of this old plane and it was a real hunk of junk as well, but I had a lot of fun with it and probably logged 200 flights with it due to the fact that I would fly it when it wasn''t fit to fly a good plane. So my experience with the two I had was that they both flew pretty good, but were very poorly constructed out of inferior materials. Heaps of fun though!LOL
Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 AM
bigedmustafa

I've owned and flown a couple of VMar ARFs. They've flown very well, but were hit-and-miss with regard to materials quality. I had an Apache III trainer ARF that was a wonderful trainer, but the factor-installed CA hinges tore easily during normal training flights and the Polycote covering began splitting with the printed color layer seperating from the clear layer after a very short time.

I'd buy more VMar ARFs in the future for the right purpose - a float plane, a fun fly or contest plane (combat, pylon, anything high risk), or the like. I wouldn't buy a VMar ARF with the expectation that it will be a "special project" of any kind or be the pride of my hangar. VMar ARFs are beat-around planes at a bargain price.

I've owned and flown a number of the Phoenix Models ARFs, and I have a much higher opinion of these. Phoenix Models ARFs have quality hardware and covering, with most of the ARFs coming with Oracover (Ultracote). You won't win any scale contests or go to the Nats while flying a Phoenix Models ARF, but you will have a lot of fun flying them and you can enjoy your Phoenix Models ARFs for year after year.

If you want a cheap "beater" plane, VMar ARFs may be worth a look. There is definitely better quality out there to be had for just a little more money, however.

To answer the original poster's question about the VMar V-Stik .60 ARF, I am comfortable saying that I believe the V-Stik .60 ARF is the nicest .60-sized ARF on the market that you can buy for $99.99 plus shipping.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Jennyboy

I don't know what all the fuss is about these arfs. I have flown the Aero Subaru for two years now and is the second best ALL ROUND plane I've ever had to date in my 40 years flying. The hardware is heavy duty ,the gear is super rugged, the wood excellent and all in the right places, motor mounts and firewalls are nice and strong, hinges/ surfaces /covering /structure/ all first class. Shure the pilot is a little sick and the fuel tank is a little on the flimsy side but these are frivolous pickings. Where do you find an arf or kit any where with an epoxy cowl ??? The biggest thing about this plane is how well it flies and in any kind of wind. We all know how hard it is to find a plane like that, it's the only one you have that will do it all and in any kind of weather- the old reliable one. I'am totally blown away how well this plane flies and performs. Stunts ,rolls,inverted everything it will do for me. The weight is down and it takes a pounding on the landing. I couldn't build a kit this good even twice the price I paid for this. I would buy another one of these arfs again to be my main airplane if this one takes to the grave.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:35 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I owned the vmar texan. Pretty much junk all the way around. poor wood and sketchy workmanship. Liked to use a lot of hot glue and made from that "punky" balsa. I would stay away from them
Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 AM
ec121

I had a Vmar ARF .60 Stik years ago. Cheap hardware, but I didn't expect much for the price. $85ea. if you bought two. Flew fine. Good beater plane.