Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Global Hobbies AT-6 Texan >

Global Hobbies AT-6 Texan

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Global Hobbies AT-6 Texan

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 09:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Global Hobbies AT-6 Texan

Sat on this plane for 4 years. Stuck an OS .25FX in it with small servo gear and batt. Thing goes like a rocket. Sorry I sat on it so long. Nice cheap ARF. Is landing very hot. I'm going to move to the back of the C of G. 1/4" back is left. I started in the middle. Wasnt pitch sensitive. Fun plane so far. Made me remember why I liked small planes. Wheeee!!!!!! Jim
Old 04-01-2004, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Global Hobbies AT-6 Texan

I just ordered one - plan to convert it to electric with a trinity gem 550 16T motor... anyone know if this plane can handle the Great Planes .20 size floats?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:02 PM

Hey Samson,
Dont know about the floats but wish ya luck if you pursue it! I still have my .25 in it and think this is the way to go. Dont get your motor wet! This is a fun airplane. Jim
Old 04-02-2004, 08:58 AM

How well does this plane do on take-off? Is it heavy? Does the airfoil have good lift? These are questions that will be helpful when and if I put it on floats.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:08 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one and hated it. Takeoffs were nearly impossible and I ended up handlaunching it. It flew very fast and was a handful once in the air but I wish its manners on the runway were better.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:41 PM

Well, somethings wrong cause I'm only an intermediate flyer. Short coupled small taildraggers are not for beginners and weak powerplants-this is where the .25 comes in handy. I wouldnt recommend 150' scale takeoffs unless your an expert with taildraggers. Mine started off comming in fast cause the cg was to far foward but that was two years ago. It goes fast or slow and I think its a kick. Not a float plane at all. Fighter trainer- not boat. Use micro and metal gear HS 85 or equivalent on the rudder/tailwheel and you can use a .25; a good .20 would work OK Have fun! Jim Wiggly landing gear doesnt help Good luck By the way the ME-109 was a deathmobile with a .32SX OS Had two and killed both flying too long without checking the onboard pack Death Spiral Thats part of the fun.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:06 PM

Word is to add better - spaced landing gear to get more ground stability. I am positive some tweaking is involved to get this plane to perform more to your liking. I do, however, believe that Global doesn't advertise the 'bulletness' of it's flying personality. Yeh' just gotta expect that. Mine is on its way to becoming an electric w/ .20 sized floats. The engine is a 600 16T size with an 8 cell 3000mAH battery (enough power I think [:@] ) The floats and the battery will lower the CG enough to reduce any strong 'yaw'. I'll keep this thread posted on further developments.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:22 AM

VIDEO:

http://www.warbirds-rc.com/Photo%20R...l/at6_0001.wmv

"Phasor 30/3 brushless on 8x1700SCR's. Using a 10x8 Master Airscrew prop and getting 5.25 min flight times at full throttle."
Old 04-09-2004, 09:33 AM

My work thus far on an electric conversion:

Old 04-11-2004, 08:44 AM

I wish you much luck in this endeavor. Happy Easter! You'll need the luck as your building an X -plane! Jim
Old 04-12-2004, 08:26 AM

Thanks! - I need it. I was having some trouble getting the aileron controls to work correctly. I don't like the design, which uses finicky nylon strips. I wasn't getting much extension on the ailerons,, so I am designing a pulley system to assist/increase the servo 'throw'.