Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Cessna 340?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Cessna 340?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:40 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cessna 340?

Does anyone know if any companies make a Cessna 340? My dad has flown and managed one since i was a little kid, so i think it would be really cool to build one. He flys a Lear 31 more now as well as a Turbo Commander from time to time, but that 340 is, and always will be his baby....

Ive seen 310 RCs, but not a 340.

thanks,
Jeremy
Old 01-09-2012, 09:09 PM
G8er

Default RE: Cessna 340?

this is the closest thing that isnt a 310 that I have seen during my search for a 185 http://www.hostetlersplans.com/cessna421c.html
Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 PM
mach2

the 421 is cool. but id definitely wanna go with an arf. so i think the Top Flite 310 would be as close as i could get.

thanks for the info though. they have some cool stuff. I especially liked the 152. since thats what i solo'd when i was 17.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:47 AM
RCShadow

I flew a Turbo-Commander in the 80's. We actually called it the Turbo-Commode lol...pretty and roomy but not very fast. Interestingly enough, Ted Smith designed the Commander along with the Piper Aerostar (fast!). Interesting read about Ted Smith...

http://home.iwichita.com/rh1/hold/av...m/acm_hist.htm

Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 AM
mach2

watching bob hoover in his shrike commander is amazing! Things that nobody would ever consider attempting. I think this vid may have his amazing 16 point roll and extremely low alititude loop.....DEAD STICK!!!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZPyM2PJcFM[/youtube]

Im not sure what commander you flew and i honestly dont remember what model my dad flies from time to time, but i know the one he flys is pretty damn fast. I actually took a flight from here (bakesfield ca) to las vegas. My dad said that the commander gets to vegas with less than a ten minute difference than the Lear 31A he flies.

obviously on longer flights the difference between the lear and the commander would be much greater, but my dad says that the tubro commander he flys is offten refered to as a "prop-jet" because it hauls ass. So maybe that model has the Dash 10s in it. I remember that it has some huge, beautiful exhaust on it.

sorry, below is the video that i was thinking of....

2:30 where you can see the 16 point deadstick roll.

and at 3:16 is the absolutely ridiculous deadstick, low alitidude loop, into a nice slow roll, then right hand turn to short final and then taxi all the way into his parking spot without ever re-starting either engine.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUYfKFMXJYE[/youtube]

Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Bob Hoover is the MAN!! I have seen him perform at Oshkosh many years ago. My personal idol... whenever someone does something totally awesome, people should say "Man, that guy just Bob Hoovered!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:26 AM
RCShadow

My all-time favorite trick Bob would do is pouring tea while doing a roll...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMWxuKcD6vE

Now THAT'S talant!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"the difficult thing is pouring tea backhanded"...

I love that line.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:40 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Bob Hoover's plane is at the Museum at Dulles International along with several other notables (like Patty Wagstaf's, Art Scholl's Chipmunk). They've put quite the collection together in a beautiful new building if you have a chance to visit it. His plane is an older original model (500?) that used piston engines. Also of note, that airframe had an AD (Airworthiness Directive, think FAA mandated safety recall) against the main wing spar for corrosion. It grounded many if not most of these because of the expense/involvement required to satisfy the AD. A regular pilot would get the willies just flying this plane from point A to point B because of that. Then, we have Mr. Hoover flying his like only he does (sorry, did, he died not too long ago).
Old 08-26-2014, 12:31 PM
mach2

Hey y'all, its been a long time since I started this thread. My dad has come down with cancer and I don't think he'll be around a year from now. So, I am a little more committed to building a 340. Since nobody has a kit or ARF 340 I'm thinking my best bet may be to find something like a 310, 414 or even a 421 and modify it to make it look like a 340. I may have to piece it together.

If anyone has any good ideas for me I'd appreciate it. I don't have any plans of getting the plane built before he passes. I don't have the funds to get the project under way right now and I know it's something that will take a while to get done. It's going to be more of a "memorial plane".

He also owned an orange Citabria when I was younger. We flew the Citabria quite a bit so I have some good memories of that plane as well. He sold it before I got my student pilot license but I got a lot of stick time in it. I remember one time he let me land and I touched down pretty hard and broke one of the U bolts on the main gear. I was only 12 or 13. I was expecting ground effect to come into play and float us along, but being a high wing plane it didn't work out like I'd thought.

I don't know, maybe I'll just do a Citabria instead of the 340. Great planes has a nice 30cc out now. That would be a much easier route.

Jeremy
Old 08-26-2014, 02:03 PM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your father, and keep us posted.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 PM
mach2

Thank you, I will.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:43 PM
mach2

When I was over at my dad's the other day I saw this photo of me and my dad with our Citabria. After I saw the photo I realized I was only about 10 or 11 when he owned it.

I also saw a picture of him and the other pilot (along with two "Air Attack Officer's") with the OV-10 Bronco he flew for the fire department (many years ago). He's the one on the left. Our department got the plane to use from the BLM. Unfortunately we only had it for part of that fire season. They sent a pilot that they wanted to be apart of our air program who was mainly a helicopter pilot and had little hours in fixed wing. I won't go into detail because there was some controversy about what happened, but the BLM pilot ended up crashing the plane (and sadly did not survive) while doing some flight training by himself.

Anyway, he is still going downhill and only has days where he feels good on rare occasions.

I think I'll end up going with a Citabria when the time comes. Trying to make a 340 is beyond my skill level.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141020_122152.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	2042191   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-25 21.50.24.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1,012.0 KB
ID:	2042192  
Old 10-28-2014, 07:10 PM
hobbychina2010

Default Cessna310

Cessna 310 is twin engine power,like this http://www.hobby-china.com/en/ProductView.Asp?ID=176 but it is stop produce now.

The twin engine is not easy flying.

if you make it,the wingspan is very big,You need to consider two engine position.

Last edited by hobbychina2010; 10-28-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: stop produce