Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

50cc ARF's Misaligned Horizontal Tail Tube Joiners:

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

50cc ARF's Misaligned Horizontal Tail Tube Joiners:

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 PM
flyboydale54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50cc ARF's Misaligned Horizontal Tail Tube Joiners:

The horizontal tail tube is misaligned with all 3 ARF's a friend bought of different manufactured 50cc airplanes. Not one of the 3 airplanes had a tail tube that was parallel with the wing tube. It is so noticeable that you can easily see it from behind the airplane by using your eye. This is not acceptable quality in our airplane purchases. In fact, it will make an airplane fly very poorly and be, in my opinion, possibly dangerous.

I am happy to say that since this has been recently pointed out to me, I will be on the lookout for any 50cc or larger airplane I may consider purchasing in the future. I will be also checking smaller models with wing tubes against the tail sections. I would like to say, I am very surprised and want everyone to be on the lookout for these poorly constructed ARF Model Airplanes and report any findings such as this on RC Universe Forums.

The person pointing this out to me is an engineer with a very good eye. After discovering this on one of his son's 50cc ARF's, he then checked his as well as his other teenage son's 50cc ARF's and everyone had this defect in their construction. With my own eye, I can see from the rear a 1/8" to at least a 1/4" misalignment between the wing tube and the horizontal stabilizer tube of each model.

Although it was not at first easy for me to see, because I was aligning my reference with the top of the wing tube, which is deceiving. After he pointed out that I need to reference it with the bottom of the wing tube instead, I easily saw the great difference in alignments and how far from parallel each tube was in relation to each other.

Once built and covered, this is a hard problem to correct. Whoever is building these poor quality models needs to rethink how they need to approach the machining and/or gluing before they glue the parts permanently in place. That is why I enjoy and prefer to build my own models from a quality manufactured kit. In my early stages of being a newbie into the hobby, I must admit, some of my models ended up with crooked tail sections not glued on in alignment and the models flew terrible, but they did fly just the same. To this day, I dread gluing the tail on the fuselage of my completing builds. I am still waiting to find the person who can really tell me how to get a tail section glued on straight and explain a foolproof method. In fact, I welcome any video that will show me the procedures to follow.

I hope I have enlightened some of the prospective buyers of these larger model airplanes and have helped to inform those that are considering buying one of these larger models so you can check the alignment of the horizontal stabilizer connector tube against the wing joiner tube.

Thank you for reading this.

Sincerely,
flyboydale54
Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: 50cc ARF's Misaligned Horizontal Tail Tube Joiners:

Which models/manufacturers are you referring to in this post?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:07 AM
flyboydale54

Lifer:

I will get the make/models/manufacturers this weekend when I see my friend and write them down and post them for everyone to read. I did not have the make/models when I wrote the post, as I thought making everyone at least aware of a potential wider spread problem was most important and planned on posting the make/models of the ARF's after I obtained them this weekend, or early next week when I have to pick up parts ordered from my friend. Since I am witnessing 3 different ARF 50cc model airplanes, I feel the issue is more important than the make/models so as to check them immediately upon purchasing an ARF or at the hobby shop before leaving with it. Thank you Lifer for your make/model concern request. I appreciate your reply.

flyboydale54
Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the stabs and wing aligned with each other? Just because the tubes are slightly off it does not mean that the wing and stab are misaligned. I would have your friend install the wings and stabs and measure from the trailing edge of the wing to the leading edge of the stab. Also, to be perfectly honest, an 1/8" of misalignment between the wing and stab (not the tubes) really will not make a difference in the way the airplane fly's.

Just my .02 cents though

MD
Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I get a number of models through delivery, so advanced notice would be helpful! In any event, thank you for the heads-up!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:56 PM
flyboydale54

I have the make and models of the airplanes affected by poor quality construction of these 50cc ARF's with misaligned horizontal tube with the wing tube and not being parallel. Two were off a lot, and that will affect your maneuvers. The worst of the three was the Fun Tech Yak54 and so was the Dietrich 260 which was also off a lot. The Hangar 9 was off a little but still noticeable. You can really notice it when your centering the servos and trying to set up the DX-7 Radio. With one elevator not in the neutral position, and the other raised up noticeably, this will affect flight characteristics. The bottom line here is it is better to fix it now than experience a poor flying model later, especially with this much money invested.
1) Hangar 9 Extra 260
2) Dietrich Extra 260
3) Fun Tech Yak54
Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Something about this thread smells fishy.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:24 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy Aeroworks ARFs.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

I haven't seen a dietrich in a while (aren't they out of business)
All the Hangar 9 Extra's I have seen have been pretty damn good. Excellent flying plane. (heard the 27% is going bye bye)
Never heard of Fun Tech

I have never had a perfect arf, all needed some kind of tweaking.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 PM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

Im waiting for the punchline myself.