Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagulls Pilatus PC-9 1.20

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagulls Pilatus PC-9 1.20

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:06 PM
brrzee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagulls Pilatus PC-9 1.20

Building this airplane. Pretty straight forward, ditched some of the hardware though. Anyways, instruction manual is questionable on the detailed side of things in spots. Just wondering if anyone has a pick of the nose wheel steering setup. The manual shows a couple of picks that are not much help.

Thanks

Happy flying/building

Old 04-22-2012, 06:33 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Seagulls Pilatus PC-9 1.20

My review on this plane went live a few days ago.

Here is a link to the review: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1402]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1402[/link]

See if the retract section helps you out any. If not, feel free to ask me any questions!

G.Barber
Old 04-23-2012, 05:30 AM
brrzee

If you have an overhead picture of the nose wheel setup with cable system that would be great. On the review it really doesn't show a detailed picture of the cable system. It shows how to attach to the nose wheel, but doesn't show it connected to the steering servo or how it is supposed to look.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM
brrzee

G. Barber,

Also should have asked you if you stayed with the CA Hinges or did you end up pinning them? I am hearing lots of various feedback on CA hinges.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:04 PM
G.Barber

Brrze,

I looked for a picture, but didn't have one... So I did a simple drawing instead, combining a couple of pictures.

The servo needs a two-sided arm that is approximately the same length as the arm on the nose gear.

Route the wire as shown in the illustration, but leave enough slack that the two wire guides can be glued inside the retract opening (one on each side to keep the wires away from the wheel as it retracts.)

with everything in place, the wires should turn the nose gear, but not be so tight as to pull the guides off the walls of the opening.

I hope this helps!

Also, I did use the CA hinges supplied with the plane. While I can take some liberty (such as using an aftermarket muffler), I use the hardware that is included. That way, if something were to happen to mine, I can report it in the review!

The CA hinges supplied worked just fine.

Let me know if it helps, or if you have other questions!

G.Barber
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79333.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	1754113  
Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Merlin Man

Hi,

I have built this model but crashed it when the engine failed on take off. I replaced it with the blackhorse one which is almost identical except the latter has flaps.

I agree with G. Barber's review that this model ( both the Seagull and BH ) are top quality and whose flight performance is second to none !

I did make a couple of changes however. I did end up replacing the mechanical retracts with Eflight electrics 60-120 size. These are more reliable. ( actually , the BH has air retracts which were alot worse than the seagull mechanicals. )

I replaced the oversized pilots with a pair of Aces of Iron ones which are much more scale. I will include some photos. The photo of the full size one shows the true scale of the pilot in the cockpit. I also fabricated a couple of "ejection seats " from balsa.

Cheers,
Merlin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85465.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1754482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71523.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1754483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80420.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1754484  
Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 AM
brrzee

Thanks for all the tips/tricks, this is great. As for the little blk guide wire clips G Barber, did you use Epoxy or Thin/Med CA to glue them in???. That makes way more sense because from what I recall the intstruction said to screw them in.

Merlin Man, I to am going to add a little extra something to the cockpit as well. I found some more scale like jet pilots not as fancy as yours but better than the Green Giants they supplied with the plane.

Thanks for everything.

Brrzee

Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 AM
G.Barber

I used medium CA to attach the wire guides.