Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARF or RTF to get the rust off.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ARF or RTF to get the rust off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:06 PM
phazelwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF or RTF to get the rust off.

Hello, I'm recently getting back into RC airplanes, I used to fly alot, but have not flown in close to 10 years. I have a few kits that I eventually want to finish that have been tucked away in storage, but for the time being I was hoping to getaARF.40 sizetrainer that can get me in the air quickly so I can shake all the rust off. I plan on getting a Futaba 6EXP Radio and I already have a KB and a Webra .40 size engine that I can use. I have never had anARF so i do not know the first thing about how to know if it is a quality one or not. I come from the perspective of 10 years ago when apparently at the time it was hard to find a quality one so that may have changed since then.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:30 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ARF or RTF to get the rust off.

my personal favorite, the LT40

http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex...FV5.html?E+Sig
Old 07-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you've already ridden the horse an Avistar may be a better choice.  Still a trainer but a bit more aerobatic capable than an LT-40. 

Shame Global no longer offers the RCM 40 Trainer ARF (at least I can't find it).  That was a good one and capable of sustained inverted flight.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 AM
dignlivn

GP 40 size Stik. Providing your engine is still good.

Bob
Old 07-23-2012, 04:42 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The Stick isn't a bad plan, but I could never get used to how they look. I went with a 40 size Great Planes Sportster when faced with the same scenario a few years back. You can set it up to fly like a trainer, or as a pretty nice sport plane!

A thought that had not occurred to me at the time was to go out to the flying field and ask around about any planes that might be available?

I would go ARF while brushing up on the hand eye coordination. That'll give you some time to move towards something you really want to fly. I stepped right into gas at that point....
Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Ahhh, let's make it easy for a model that will take you from raw trainer to some pretty nice performance especially if you get rid of the three blade trainer prop and go with an APC two blade while feeding the little Evolution some 30% nitro....

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ts-rtf-HAN4425

It's RTF, only $400.00 and the shipping was free except for the oversize $13.50 fee or get one local.

That is unless your married to the idea of a Futaba radio because this one comes with a DX6i radio setup?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
phazelwood

Thanks all for the advise,  the main reason I am getting a futaba is they have a cable where I can still use my old transmitter as a buddy box to teach my son to fly.  Of course if they make a cable for the old FG series with the round din cable that can adapt to the DX6i, then that changes things for sure.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: phazelwood

Thanks all for the advise, the main reason I am getting a futaba is they have a cable where I can still use my old transmitter as a buddy box to teach my son to fly.
Don't let that be your criteria.

You can EASILY find a super cheap, used radio to use as a buddy box. Futaba also used to sell "buddy boxes" that had no built in transmission circuitry.

There's a number of things you can do.

Opt for the best radio you can afford.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:13 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: opjose

Thanks all for the advise, the main reason I am getting a futaba is they have a cable where I can still use my old transmitter as a buddy box to teach my son to fly.
Don't let that be your criteria.

You can EASILY find a super cheap, used radio to use as a buddy box. Futaba also used to sell ''buddy boxes'' that had no built in transmission circuitry.

There's a number of things you can do.

Opt for the best radio you can afford.

EXELLENT ADVISE!!!!

Otherwise you buy a cheap one now, and ANOTHER, probably much better one, later....
Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: ahicks

EXELLENT ADVICE!!!!

Otherwise you buy a cheap one now, and ANOTHER, probably much better one, later....
Or in my case... another slightly better, then another used, then another.... until FINALLY I went and spent what I should have in the first place.

Had I taken what I spent on my first two or three TX's and put them together, I would have been happier, spent less overall, spent less on reversing servos and matchboxes, and used a MUCH better TX through my initial "learning" period.

Had I elected to leave the hobby, I would have also been able to sell my better TX... unlike my first POS purchases.

I couldn't bare to part with the cash for a GOOD TX at first... it just seemed too expensive... Wow was I wrong!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:55 PM
phazelwood

ok, that all makes sense and thanks very much.

I'm assuming based on the comments that the futaba radio I mentioned isn't all that great. The DX6i seems to get better reviews.   I am leaning toward getting that mustang kit,  with the DX6i and engine, simply because I like mustangs and never had one to fly before and I do not have a .45 engine at all, The engine in that kit seems to get good reviews as well.   I understand about getting as much radio as I can,   I also know that I will doubtfully ever need much more radio than the DX6i in that kit based on what I flew in the past and what I wanted to build and fly.   So the next question is,   Is the DX6i  a radio that is reliable? 

If not, what radio would any of you suggest.  

Old 07-23-2012, 07:15 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sig Rascal 40 ARF, a 72" w.s. sweet flyer that you won't regret keeping in your hanger. If you want a slower floater go for a Sig Kadet Sr. ARF, 81" w.s. big and EZ to see. It' size makes it loveable even after your through with trainers; candy drops, slow fly it backwards on a windy day, etc. The new just released ARF's have gotten a little pricey (haven't they all) but are still worth it. I think the new Rascal now has flaps too, not sure.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:59 AM
Zeeb

ok, that all makes sense and thanks very much.

I'm assuming based on the comments that the futaba radio I mentioned isn't all that great. The DX6i seems to get better reviews. I am leaning toward getting that mustang kit, with the DX6i and engine, simply because I like mustangs and never had one to fly before and I do not have a .45 engine at all, The engine in that kit seems to get good reviews as well. I understand about getting as much radio as I can, I also know that I will doubtfully ever need much more radio than the DX6i in that kit based on what I flew in the past and what I wanted to build and fly. So the next question is, Is the DX6i a radio that is reliable?

If not, what radio would any of you suggest.

Well first of all, the Mustang PTS is "Ready To Fly" or "RTF" as you mentioned in the title of this thread with your question. They do have a ARF version but it does NOT have the trainer features, no radio, no engine, no electronics etc. but can have retractable gear installed.

The DX6i is a great little radio and should you decide to go with either Spektrum or the JR DSMX radios, you have access to all the nifty little RTF or BNF (Bind and Fly) models from Park Zone or E-Flite that Horizon sells. Is it the "Best" you can buy? No, but will most likely serve you well untill such time as you decide you want to go farther than to "for the time being I was hoping to get a ARF .40 size trainer that can get me in the air quickly so I can shake all the rust off."....

I didn't look REAL close at all the other models suggested, but I believe this is the only RTF one of the bunch?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

No, but will most likely serve you well untill such time as you decide you want to go farther than to ''for the time being I was hoping to get a ARF .40 size trainer that can get me in the air quickly so I can shake all the rust off.''....
Exactly... it will "do" for now, but if you stay in the hobby, you'll wish you had purchased a better ( more channels ) radio later, and end up spending more in the long run.

Some love to jump on my and other's case about this suggestion, but I'd say go right to a 7 or 8 channel - IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT -.

Jumping up that one or two extra channels on the TX, normally brings along a host of other features, improved display, more programmability, digital trims, more model memory, etc. etc. etc. plus if you elect to ever sell the radio, you'll have someothing that people may WANT to buy from you...

Old 07-25-2012, 04:28 AM
Zeeb

While I'd normally agree and myself went from the Futaba 4 channel rx that comes with a Nexstar to a 9C Super while I still had the Nexstar, going to a bigger radio does not solve the OP's "which plane" question. He doesn't even seem sure he WANTS to go beyond and considering the price tag on the PTS Mustang it really is an excellent option. If he decides to go on the DX6i will serve for quite a few planes and he can buy the DX18, 12X or 18MHz somewhere down the road....
Old 07-25-2012, 05:00 AM
phazelwood

I appreciate all the input,  I am most likely going to get that mustang kit.  That will allow me to get in the air without having to deal with cleaning up my old engines that have been put away in storage and the uncertainly of whether my old radios are still reliable since I think the box they were in was accidently dropped off of a shelf when my kids were looking for some stuff in storage and the batteries being old.    I have flown before and still have 3 unbuilt kits to finish and none of them will require more than 6 channels and while it is possible one day I might want more, it is unlikely.  

When the issue of radios were brought up I was more concerned that the radio supplied with the Mustang was inferior in quality as opposed to wanting something with more channels / features for the future.    It seems that it is a quality radio based on comments here and haven't really found any bad reviews that outweigh the good ones.

Thanks all for helping me get back into things easier.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:34 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The DX6i (I have two) does have one problem area that can bite. It's setup to use either conventional AA cells, or rechargeable NMIH batteries.
The individual battery contacts can get dirty and cause intermittent operation. It's easy to cure by cleaning them every now and then.

I'd prefer the DX 8 or a Futaba 8FG. Features beyond those of the 6i make either preferable. The DX 8 has some interesting master slave configurations, and can use a DX6i as a slave(so I'm told)
At the moment, I'm also in the process of assembling the "RTF" version of the Hanger 9 P-51. Problems so far have been fitting a set of 60-120 electric retracts, finding the exact size and width wheels needed, and locating the proper size spinner. The Hanger 9 RTF version's spinner was discontinued as a replacement part.
The E-Flite retracts have a peak current draw much higher than the 900ma listed in the specs. As the retracts start to move from the retracted position, the current draw is in excess of an amp, and will cause an AR600 or other receivers to see voltage low enough to cause the LED to blink. This is using a 4 cell 2000ma NMIH. This behavior is overcome with a 5 to 6 volt 3 to 6A BEC, preferably separate from the receiver/servo power source. During "normal" gear travel outside the detents, the unloaded current draw may be around 300-500ma or less.

An example of NMIH "A" 2700ma cell behavior is attached. AA cells have a lower current capability, likely less than marginal if electric retracts are used.
Shims may be needed with the E-Flite retracts to properly position the gear in the retracted position, or thinner wheels used.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44150.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1786432  
Old 07-27-2012, 06:35 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You did not mention if you have a flying club nearby. If you do you may want to get on a buddy box there and fly on a buddy box with the club and talk to the guys at the club about other options and try some of their trainers and radios before you make any purchase. Coming to RCU is a good first step. See if there is a club in your area would be a good second step. Even if you have to drive a distance, it gives you an opportunity to try out some equipment before you purchase. Just another option. Good Luck.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Chucksolo69

I would personally get the ARF. Not so much for the build but because you don't need the extra TX/RX that come with most RTF stuff. Usually the TX/RX packaged with RTF models is pretty much basic stuff with no frills. BTW - The DX6i is a great first computer type radio. Ihave one and fly all my models with it. If you get it soon, you can take advantage of the current promotion that Spektrum offers. I got 3 receivers with mine as the promotion is that you get two AR6115e parkflyer receivers for free. I got mine for $190.00 out the door.