Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 AM
fireforthall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

You guys might try a product called Seafoam to help with the drying out of the stoppers. I know they sell it at NAPA , Autozone, or any of the parts stores. With the ethanol that we are getting in our fuel now a day's it does hell on the rubber parts and on the piston its self. I have worked for a company that has done lots of testing on small engines and fuel products. Small engines hate these new fuel mixes that are on the market these days.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 AM
bikerbc

You have done a really nice job roknHS I think you are rite..The flat black looks better..Your fabric interior is nice too...You get some atta boys for that job
Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 AM
G.P.
My Feedback: (1)

Anybody know of a nice padded wing bag for the Cub?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 AM
bikerbc

Well this might sound kind of goofy but what I do is go down to the kids dept at some big department store and buy a couple of kids sleeping bags...You can often get them in different colours and quite cheap..The last pair I got was Cub yellow...I think I paid 16 dollars each for them...I got them at Zellers or Fields or someplace like that...They work fine ...
Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 AM
G.P.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I was thinking about making some out of the reflective bubble wrap insulation, but I don't think they would last long with all of the pokey bits on these wings.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 AM
fourthearth

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

Oh that must be a wee bit annoying....I was on another site and found that there is quite a few of us that have exactly the same damage to our Cubs...Left wing tip crushed ,windshield broken ,cockpit braces knocked loose ..You are the first one I have heard of that has received the wrong wing though ...Some guys have had to return the broken parts and some have not...I have been one of the lucky ones that got to keep the broken parts...I would still sooner have had a flawless kit though..The waiting is annoying...That's why we buy ARF's , because we want one NOW...Really though I gotta say the guys at Horizion are fantastic...They really try to help...I have always come away happy after talking to them...They are polite and honest and helpfull .. They deal with it quickly too and when they say they are going too do it they are...Their word is good... fourthearth I wish you were closer to me because mine is about as close to complete as it can be..I just have the windows to put in...I am stalling because access is so easy with them out......I am waiting on some cockpit kit pieces that were missing...I might skip the cockpit kit though...The interior is painted and look okay...The cockpit kit is slick plastic and is supposed to crack easily .....It is a really nice looking plane....I am debating buying the Hanger 9 float kit.....I would like to talk to somebody that has been using one for a while...My lhs has one for me if I want it...He bought it for himself but hasen't gotten around to putting his plane together yet....
Biker...

Sorry I haven't been here in awhile. I finally got the right (left) wing in. The first replacement (the wrong wing) Horizon sent with no questions asked and no request for a return, the second replacement wing Horizon sent they said they would be sending me a return label, but it's been awhile and I haven't seen one.

I had to get some other build projects off the workbench before I started on this one. Sooo I started on it last night, had to iron the wings alot will glue hinges in today. I should have my lights Monday or Tuesday, so going by the book, I should have the wings done by end of the week and started on the fuse. I've read this entire thread, if you have any suggestions, I am always open to them.

I'm pretty close to BC Canada... And love road trips..
Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 AM
fourthearth

ORIGINAL: mobyal

Well, I finally got mine open and out of the box. I bought it back in Sept as a 70th birthday present to myself but had a couple of other projects underway (one of them the H9 Tiger Moth) and then decided to clean up the shop.
Opened it up yesterday and took everything out of the box and checked it out. Absolutely perfect. No broken parts, no crushed wingtip, no broken windshield, no dings or dents anywhere. A really goodlooking piece of work. Congrats to Horizon/H9.
I'm going electric with the power setup, motor, ESC, prop, batteries recommended by H9. Servos are JR Sport 126MG all around. I have everything needed to complete the thing. Right now the only mod I might do, other than some trim stuff, is larger wheels.
I have the H9 1/4 scale float kit that I got for my H9 1/4 J3. Never put them on it, but maybe they'll go on this one....
Let the games begin!
Al
Mobyal....

YEAH!! Another Cub to join our gang!! And Happy 70th!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 AM
bikerbc

Good to see you back fourthearth We have Two Major Float flys up here that last about a week each..One in the spring and one in the fall... Our little Club hosts Western Canada's largest one in the fall...There is an article about us in one of the Fly RC mags plus there is a bunch of pics in the float forum under Shuwap Fall Classic... Anyway if you are into a road trip that would be a good time to make one...There is Camping at the site or we have a spare room you would be welcome to...Bring your Cub on floats or anything on floats You can have big fun there ..The prizes are pretty good..Usually a plane or two and a motor or two etc..One guy comes all the way from Australia
Old 02-17-2013, 11:00 AM
bikerbc

forthearth don't forget when you are putting the lites in your wing the red goes on the left side and the green goes on the rite side when faced from the pilot seat looking forward ..The wing with the landing lite gets the red lite..The other gets the green....If you want to you could get an extra lighting controller and hook your landing lights up to your flaps so that they only come on when the flaps are deployed...I think thats kind of cool...The rest of the nav lites would still be on all the time...
Mobyal Happy 70...My Belly button birthday is Sept 11 Yikes a 9 11 birthday I don't know if that is good luck or bad luck.. Anyway we are fellow Virgo's and we are gonna be flying Hanger 9 PA 18's and thats pretty darn lucky...Have you looked at DU-BRO Treaded Lightweight Cub Wheels? I put a set of the No.558TLC 1/3 Scale 5-5/8" Dia on my 1/4 Scale Sig Cub and they look and work great...I have Robart gear on my Sig Cub which is similar to the Hanger 9 gear...The axel is a bit different but I see no reason why they wouldn't work...I like these better than the Tundra tires because they are lite...If they will stand up to the 1/3 scale they will surely stand up to the 1/4 scale ...
Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 PM
fourthearth

forthearth don't forget when you are putting the lites in your wing the red goes on the left side and the green goes on the rite side when faced from the pilot seat looking forward ..The wing with the landing lite gets the red lite..The other gets the green....If you want to you could get an extra lighting controller and hook your landing lights up to your flaps so that they only come on when the flaps are deployed...I think thats kind of cool...The rest of the nav lites would still be on all the time...
I like the flap/landing light idea, I'll probably build a mix for that, plus have a switch. I knew the lights were wrong, but thanks for the heads-up. A float-fly up in BC sounds awesome, I'll be thinking about it, may just ride the bike up.

I worked on mine today, finally getting started on it. Got the first left wing glued up with the flap and aileron, boy the plastic is brittle on the aileron, I broke it in two places by just moving the hinge pin too far to one end. CA'd up fine, but will remember to be carefull with hangar rash on these.

When I started to get the right wing ready I found that the flap hinge pin holes were off by about a 1/4 inch. I have extra flaps because of the mutiple wings I have now, and none of them would line up, they were all 1/4 inch off. I then grabbed my OTHER right wing and the holes are fine.

I'll get the servo's in tomorrow then the wing braces. This things gonna go together fast. I love it so far!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 PM
G.P.

For you electric guys...I just picked up one of these soldering irons from Princess Auto because my Weller soldering station and the Canadian tire soldering station that I bought to replace it both crapped out. It was supposed to be something cheap to get me by until I could find another soldering station, but this thing rocks! Audjustable heat, and the tip is a huge solid chunk of metal that goes all of the way up inside the tip. As a result it holds lots of heat and 10 guage motor, esc, and batterry solder joints don't even slow it down. Neither of my previous solder stations could do 10 gauge very well, even though they were higher watts. It sure beats the bulky soldering gun that I was using to do the big joints. Best part is that it's under $20. Just hope it lasts.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...Soldering-Iron
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM
mobyal

I haven't looked at those wheels yet Ken; thanks for the info. I do want to change to a larger wheel/tire and those sound great. Other than my changing the N number with Callie's help, the wheels'll be the only change I'll make from stock. (My birthday's Sept 23, by the way!)
Al
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 AM
bikerbc

mobyal how are you going to change your N numbers ? Or are you going to put new ones over top ? I had a look at them with the idea of changing them to Canadian numbers and I thought they were painted on .. I was scared to try and remove them for fear of damaging the covering...
Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 AM
Planejaw
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mobyal how are you going to change your N numbers ? Or are you going to put new ones over top ? I had a look at them with the idea of changing them to Canadian numbers and I thought they were painted on .. I was scared to try and remove them for fear of damaging the covering...
Getting the numbers off is fairly easy. Use a heat gun and gently heat up the numbers individually. Once you can peel up a corner, keep gently heating until the entire number comes off. You'll probably need to use some isopropyl alcohol to remove some of the perimeter "shadow" that the numbers leave. Once removed, you can put up your own numbers. I found some 3" black numbers/letters at Michael's craft store. I've also cut mine out of trim Monokote. All you need is a good template, and you can get military and other templates in the form of fonts for your computer, then just scale them up to whatever size you want.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:03 AM
bikerbc

Thankyou John I will give that a try...
Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Rellic

Hows the Snow in Vernon? We still have lots...
Snow in Vernon is leaving fast, My lawn at home is clear but our Flying field still has a few inches. We put the winter lock on our field access this Saturday as our road in is on clay and with no frost in the ground this year it is breaking up. Might be three weeks before we can get in there again, I hope. Lots of snow in Grindrod with clear sky and sun yesterday was a great flying day, five LT40's, two old, three new maiden's by newbies on buddy box,a Father and his two sons all with thier own new LT40's good grief they are popular.Remember next Sunday Feb 24 is our annual winter fun fly, Hot lunch Chili and Hot Dogs on us.Ski's or floats required.

Brian T.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM
bikerbc

Thanks for the reminder Brian...I will bring my sized up LT 40 on floats We call Them LT 82s or maybe my Icon....I don't have my PA18 on floats yet...I think I am gonna buy Lesters....This should be a memorial to Don
Old 02-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Rellic

I have seen your's and Tim's LT82's Ken, last time I was out at your field for the fun fly, Great airplanes.
I was just in Lester's when you were on the phone with him about light controller, prop and his float set.
On Sunday Jan 20 two days after Don passed the full Grindrod membership was present and flew in his Honor, and Rick was there with us mostof the day.We may mention Don this coming Sunday but we do want itto be a totallyfun event to start the season.

Brian T.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 PM
fourthearth

Well...

I got the ailerons and flaps glued in place, dug out the new servos and receiver to start the coonections and found the new AR 9020 Spektrum receiver is dead. Calling Horizon Hobby in the morning.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 AM
bikerbc

You have not been having the best of luck on this project have you ?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 AM
roknHS

I'm done..................
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56478.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1854278  
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 AM
fourthearth

ORIGINAL: roknHS

I'm done..................
Awesome!!!! Which prop brand?

New receiver on order, will have wings completed this weekend.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 AM
roknHS

The prop is a Xoar 19 X 8............base coat is grey primer............tips are white primer..........blue stripes are trim tape.
Final coat is a Matt (flat) clear coat. Didn't use any gloss as full scale props are more of a flat finish.

Balanced the prop initially, balanced again after the color coats, balanced a final time after the clear finish coat. I've got a variety of props......Menz, Menjzlik, Xoar, Master Air Screw, Top Flite, Zinger etc. I have never (ever) found a stock prop to be in balance from the factory........most aren't even close. I start by getting a horizontal balance with clear coat on the light blade. Vertical balance usually requires drilling the hub on the light side and inserting lead sinkers (or pieces) to get the prop to balance overall. I am always surprised at how much lead I have to put in the hub to get the prop to balance. I also balance the spinner. I haven't cranked up this motor yet so, I can't tell you how much vibration it will have..........I can assure you whatever vibration is generated, it won't be the prop or the spinner.

It sure would be nice if the prop manufacturers would balance their stuff before they send them out...............I've probably got most of a day into balancing and painting this prop..........most of the time taken up by trying to get the light side of the hub filled with the right amount of lead and the lead positioned correctly.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM
bikerbc

You have done a beautiful job of finishing your plane....It looks fantastic... Now if it fly's half as good as it looks you will have a real winner...
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
roknHS

Thanks for the generous comments. I'm just glad to have it finished so I can get on with my list of other RC fixes that I need to get done before flying time arrives. I do look forward to getting this in the air. It is a very nice representation of the Super Cub.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much.........the pilot is too tall from the waist up..........his head hits the wing tube in the top of the cockpit. I operated on this guy so he is about an inch shorter than original.
You can lift his shirt and coat in the front and feel two wires in the abdomen. I cut an incision and took some pliers and bent the two wires double to reduce his height. It makes the fit more realistic and doesn't affect your ability to pose the guy at all. My girl friend made a hat, a vest and some sun glasses for him so he doesn't look like such a dork. You gottta admit, right out of the plastic bag he looks like he might sprout fairy wings and fly off with out the plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.