Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60 size corsair arf

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 60 size corsair arf

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 60 size corsair arf

Here is a pic of my firewall:

I got triangle stock in there, along with Goldberg nylon reinforcement tape between them, a layer of 5 oz glass cloth on top of everything, and a layer of 2 oz glass cloth around the inside of the fuselage between the firewall and the second bulkhead. I also plan to add wooden dowls between the firewall and the second bulkhead. The glass cloth and the epoxy look like crap in there because I had a tough time getting my hand to fit through the fuel tank opening (and I don't have a big hand). What I really need is a "Heather" to lay down the glass cloth smoothly and apply epoxy.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:03 PM
WarpdSpazm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good richard... Pretty much the same thing I envisioned doing...

Does it feel much firmer now? With all that, I'd hope she'll hold up... My RCV will be here on Friday... Ordered a zinger 18X12 3blader to go with it. Hope to finish my Extra and Waco soon so I can get on the Corsair...
Old 01-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Richard L.

Oh yeah, she feels much firmer now. I hope she'll hold up because the YS 110 that I'll be using is a beast.

Ever thought about using [link=http://www.bollyprops.com/mprops.html]Bolly[/link] 16x13 or [link=http://www.desertaircraft.com/mejzlik.html]Mejzlik[/link] 18x10 3-blade carbon fiber prop with your RCV? Those props look awesome.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:16 PM
WarpdSpazm

the bolly might be too small for the 120... but the Mejzlik might be nice... a pitch of 10 is the lowest i can go... thanks for the pointer
Old 01-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Richard L.

I thought the largest 3-blader the RCV 120 can swing is 15.75x13, based on these [link=http://www.rcvengines.com/specifications.htm]specifications[/link]. Maybe it's a typo.

I just gave my firewall around 12 lbs of pull, and it didn't even flex. So far so good.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:00 PM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

Richard, looks good and I really want to buy this airplane badly but I look at your picture and I cant but notice that there isn't a whole lot of wood in there. You did an awesome job of strengthening whats there and I am glad it seems to be holding for you. Maybe I wouldn't mind building the Top Flight kit that way I could fiberglass the whole plane and paint it in the scheme of my choice. I think that its time I started doing some serious building again and the Corsair sounds like a nice plane to build besides it will give me a chance to buy a 120 size four stroke. Probably a Pumped Surpass 120.
Keep us posted guys.
Joe
Old 01-07-2004, 09:29 PM
strong

Got to put one flight on my corsair today after the wind died down for the evening.I must say this plane is smooth as silk.It did a little bobble on take off due to the fact that I took off a bit to soon,but other than that it flew just great.It's the first plane I'v had that needed no trimming at all on the first flight.The saito 100 ran great and was very quite.I only flew about 6 minutes because it was close to dark and After a few landing approaches to see how it would glide I hit my first landing picture perfect.I'm looking forward to tomorrow and getting some more flights in.This plane looks good and flew great.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:45 PM
viper21

Thats cool Strong, glad to hear that your maiden flight went so well. Did you do any work on the firewall at all? And how did the retracts work for you? Do you think the plane needs flaps ? Sounds like it lands well without them?
Thanks Joe
Old 01-07-2004, 11:14 PM
captainpitts-RCU

I have two flights on mine and I can say this plane dose not need flaps! It takes off and lands very slow. Actually slower than some of my aerobatic planes and is even more docile in the air. I think the modification of flaps would just add weight. But then if you did that you might need the flaps. But as the plane is stock no need for flaps. just for reference mine came in at 8# 4oz. close to the middle of their rang with a saito 100. Man I wish the weather was nicer so I could fly.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:33 AM
WarpdSpazm

8# 4.oz on standard follow the book install? Hmm... Then I'll be doing flaps for sure... my engine weighes 1# 2 oz more than the saito. 4-6 oz. for firewall reenforcement. CJM or Sierra retracts, CJM tailwheel. I'll prolly push the 11lb mark... I'm only going with 1 Hitec655MG servo for the flaps or maybe I'll splurge for the Airtronics 94357. 140oz/in of torque should hold those flaps solid. and keep the weight off the wings.

On the cosmetic end, I don't really want to do the 3 tone blue. but i'm second guessing my"Lucky Gallon"scheme due to lack of information/documentation. Are they any other good scheme's I could do in a Monokote/solartex/coverite (which ever) and airbrush?
I had seen a greyish/light brown? scheme from Quantico... But I can't find it now...

Any Ideas?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:40 AM
WarpdSpazm

from Richard L. - "I thought the largest 3-blader the RCV 120 can swing is 15.75x13, based on these specifications. Maybe it's a typo. "

I've read reports of guys getting 16" 3B's on teh 60 and 90.

Also the formulas from Zinger and others say to drop 2" from dia. and keep the pitch the same, when goind from 2B to 3B so a 20X12 to an 18X12 fits... HOWEVER I do have to take into account the 2:1 gearing... I'm not sure it that will have a + or - effect on that... Only experiementing will see... I'll break in per the instructions, then tach it with the 20X12 check the thrust, and switch to the 18X12X3... and repeat.. if static numbers are close I'll try it AFTER some successful flights with a 2B of course. At $40 bucks for the zinger 3B, I'm not looking to break it often.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:47 AM
strong

I really don't think it needs flaps because mines slows down for nice smooth landings.The landing gear is so far so good...no problems.I did add some glass cloth and epoxy to the inside of the fire wall after seeing the picture of the one that came apart...glad some one warn me before the first flight.Make sure you have enough air speed before take off and the rest is just pure enjoyment.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:56 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine today. Looks really good!! Mine will be basically stock with a Magnum 91 2 stroke. Thanks to everyone posting the various problems and solutions.

Brian
Old 01-09-2004, 11:12 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich,

I wouldn't worry about how it looks as long as it is solid since it is inside the fuse anyway.

Glad I havent finished mine yet. Been too busy with the holidays! I will have to remove my tank and the support brace for my tank to strengthen the firewall. Just have to get motivated!!! I actually plan on building a better work bench tomorrow. The wife has our daughter all day long!! It has been really cold here so I haven't been up to doing to much in the workshop plane wise. So tomorrow will be the workbench and then Sunday finish up the Corsair.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:07 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope this help but I have the plane and love it . I added triagle stock/plus dowles and thin ply back to the second bulkhead .Then added glass over the entire reinforcement. it the safesest way to get the front end all beefed up .
Considering adding flaps but the worried about how to get them down even ? seen the great how to post but dont really understand how to keep them even in deploymnet .

Added the custom CJ gear but had to remove and reinstall because the new gear needed a new end plate adjustmnet to sit perfcactly .CJ is so first class that they emiled me about the problem /mailed the part before I even had the chanceto add air and find the small variance , that is customer servace !!!!
Old 01-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Rckfish
My Feedback: (5)

Well Guys we are about ready to go fly. This doesn't look anything like that clean shiny navy blue out of the box finish. I had a little fun with it. Now if it will fly as good as it looks I'll have a real winner.
Rckfish
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79783.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	89233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22505.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	89234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76272.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	89235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43221.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	89236  
Old 01-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: LDM

Added the custom CJ gear but had to remove and reinstall because the new gear needed a new end plate adjustmnet to sit perfcactly.
If your CJM retracts look like this with around 30° of toe-out:

and the wheels stick out like this in the wing:

Then your struts got swapped around during assembly. Just swap the struts by removing the left one and installing it into the right retract housing and vice versa.

After swapping the struts, your wheels should look like with some toe-in:

Your wheels should also look like in the wing:

Old 01-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: Rckfish

Well Guys we are about ready to go fly. This doesn't look anything like that clean shiny navy blue out of the box finish.
Good luck with your maiden flight.

BTW, the shiny blue on the H9 Corsair is pretty close to the actual overall glossy sea blue used on late war Corsairs, perhaps just a tad lighter and bluer. Glossy sea blue has a slight tint of green in it.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Rckfish

Richard,
You are correct. Late war Corsair were.
Rckfish
Old 01-10-2004, 04:02 PM
viper21

Rckfish, what did you paint your Corsair with it looks sharp. I wouldnt mind changing the scheme also.
Your right Richard I am building a Jet Hangar FJ-3 Fury now the Navy version of the Sabre and its going to be Sea Gloss blue overall with trim and its glossy paint thats one of the reasons I like it.
I hope that you all have great test flights I am still deciding between the Corsair and the 150 P51.
Joe
Old 01-11-2004, 01:01 AM
ziggy99
My Feedback: (59)

God Bless America!
Old 01-11-2004, 06:22 AM
Rckfish

Viper,
Actually, I recovered the plane with Ultracote and used LusterKote and Ultracote paints on the cowl. It is weathered with acrylics and flat clear shot on top.

The maiden flight went well. The take off roll was straight, very little rudder required. A few click of aileron for wings level. Once I brought the gear up it wanted to climb. Two clicks of down required for level flight. The stall is very slow with a gradual fall of the the left. My landings carried too much speed and the plane wants to float. It will land fairly slow.

It is beautiful in the air and feels very light on the sticks.
Rckfish
Old 01-11-2004, 04:09 PM
strong

Three more flights with corsair today.The weather was perfect and the field was packed.Most everyone likes the way it looks especially when I retract the wheels and fly through on a low pass.There was an old guy who came over and said he had never flew the corsair but he had flew the P-51-4D mustang (real one that is).He took pictures and talked a while,seemed impressed and wants to learn to fly these now. So far this corsair seems to be a winner.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:46 PM
viper21

Congratulations Rockfish on the maiden sounds like a good flying plane. You did a nice job with the recover as well but if I did it I would airbrush the colors on and clear with auto 2 part acrylic. How did the CJM retracts work for you? Did the struts work well on the ground and during landing? They sure look good I am still trying to decide if I want one or not.

Also congrats Strong its good to hear of two good flying planes.

Viper
Old 01-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Hey Strong,
The Corsair was definitely gorgeous in the air! You did a great job of flying her too.

Happy Flying!

LOOPMAN [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.