Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Nitro Models 30cc Thunderbird

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Nitro Models 30cc Thunderbird

Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Models 30cc Thunderbird

[TABLE="class: tborder user-postbit-left-user, width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt2, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]Received the 30cc Thunderbird...the kit came well wrapped..no breakage.
The instruction manual was a general manual covering all of the 30cc models...
this might be a problem for a first time builder...I did not have any problems assembling the model ..went together without any problems.
The model was designed for a 30cc motor..I installed a DLE20 (20cc motor), I was
a bit apprehensive putting a 20cc motor in..Well, let me tell you it flies very well with
a 20cc motor..it loops..cuban eights etc..have not tried 3D yet..but it was flown between i/2 to 3/4 throttle without any problems..quite fast...had no problems landing the model..slows up very well without stalling out...
Note: I am using DS821 servo's without any problems..the balance was right on
as I did not have to add any weight...If you want a good sport flying plane ..then I
can recommend this model...a steal at $180.00
Codimasta

AMA 11269
Sorry about the typo...wrapped not warped[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: user-postbit-bottom-user, bgcolor: #404040"]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by codimasta; 08-07-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

I guess the came well wrapped not warped then??

Were you planning on trying the DLE 20 when you ordered it or after you started to build it?

Thanks,
Bill S.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 AM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

I happen to have a DLE20 on my PT17 that I removed an placed it in the Thunderbird..
The only problem that I had was installing the ailerons..the pin hinges broke...it was my fault ..I had too much expoxy on the hinge..
when I moved it..the pins let go...be sure to grease the hinge well and be careful with the excess expoxy...I happen to have some
Robart type hinge that I replace the broken ones...allow extra room around the center of the hinge..ie..make the hole larger at the
hinge line....does this make sense...
Had a nice day flying it today..lands like a dream..even if it is a little windy...at 1/4 throttle I started to slowly reduce power as I line up on the runway..it just settled down..
Old 08-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a Raven to me, but if it flies ok, who cares what they name it.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 PM
flyboydale54

I have a GP Revolver 50cc Airplane. I got it about a month ago. It was all built for me, and it only had 1 flight on it when I bought it. The engine is a DLE-55. Super engine and great power with a VESS 22A prop on it. I am now using a different receiver, an AR8000 with Hitec 5625's and 2 Spektrum 2700mah battery packs, one for the ignition and the other for the receiver. I flew it at least a dozen times. Last Sunday I crashed it and broke the fuselage into 3 pieces when I cartwheeled it. Minor damage to the wingtips, easily fixable. The repair of the fuselage will be attempted this winter. For now, I ordered a new fuselage, rudder, and cowl. The rudder I ordered because I do not want to cut the hinges off the original damaged fuselage as I plan on rebuilding it this winter. Problem with the Transmitter, a JR X9503 probably contributed to the crash. The elevator and ailerons did not work right, with occassionally one aileron and one elevator half working, and the other remaining stationary in the neutral position. This is when I changed the RX from my friends Spektrum 7000 series to the AR8000 Receiver that is brand new. Both control surfaces began working after I changed out the RX. However, shortly after, I charged the plane batteries followed by the JR X9503 that I bought new in February of 2013. I used my Hobbico Elite to charge them on the way to the field. While at the field the TX on the charger indicated it was charged, but after disconnecting the charging cords, and when I turned on the TX, it did not display anything on the LCD. I found a blown 3amp fuse. I got a new one at Radio Shack locally and replaced it. Then the display came to life, but it would not allow me to make any changes to the settings in the TX or change models, because it would revert back to the original settings and the Revolver after turning off the TX and turning it back on again. It appears the programming got corrupted in the circuit board. It would allow me to fly the Revolver 50cc plane though. A few flights at least, until the crash. Since I have another 50cc airplane and I could not change the model in the memory selection to anything but the Revolver 50cc, I called Horizon Hobby, discussed the situation with them and they asked me to send in my TX and they will fix it under warranty, that the memory board inside was probably damaged or corrupted when the fuse blew, causing it to loose power before the programming could be loaded, thus corrupting the memory. I just mailed it in on August 7th for repairs, so it will be about a 12 day turnaround they said. I should have it back within 2 weeks. The parts for the Revolver 50cc was ordered and shipped the same day and I expect the parts around the 14th of August. I am looking forward to getting the Revolver 50cc back in the air before the end of this month. I do not really need any more engine power than it has with the DLE-55, but if I ever get brave enough for a rocket like performance, I might go with a DLE-80 single cylinder engine in the future. It has a lot of vertical now, but for unlimited vertical it needs a bigger engine with more thrust. Those looking to let it hang on the prop for attempted 3D that is was not designed for will need a more powerful engine than the DLE-55. It will do a nice knife-edge though with the DLE-55. Basically it is a good engine for Sport Flying. I will keep everyone posted after I get the TX back and the plane back in flying condition.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:03 AM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whew!! How does all that fit with a thread on the 30cc Thunderbird???