Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Flyzone DH Beaver Review

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Flyzone DH Beaver Review

Old 09-13-2013, 07:37 AM
oldbassard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flyzone DH Beaver Review

Hey gang

I have some people who want me to teach them to fly. I had heard these foamies are pretty indestructable so I thought I buy one to try it. This is my first "Foamie".
There are things I both like and dislike about it What I do like about it, it came wired with mini servos esc and so forth that I can later use in my Pats Curtiss Jenny or Pats Stinson. It has some neat lights on it The plane is somewhat a floater (Literally too) LOL. It has a neat little tail dragger landing gear for the rear also.

The things I disaprove of about this model is the elevator and rudder have no hinges. What they do have is thinly molded foam from them to the horizontal and vertical sabilizers after I get a few flights on the plane I am going to remedy this and cut them off to put in hinges.

It comes with a battery that there is no way you can plug into the speed controller and also the front landing gear is plastic covered in foam so I imagine it won't take many hard landings to destroy it.

All in all, would I buy it again, probably yes, simply because I want to use it to train others and gluing most parts back will be easy, ones that break like the landing gear, the first time that happens I will make some aluminum ones
Old 09-15-2013, 09:07 AM
bikerbc

I have one of these planes and I think it is one of the best buys I have ever made .. As for the lack of hinges in the tail , What ever they have in there works , I would not bother to change it until it breaks .. They are pretty tough and they fly quite well , even in the wind..I think you made a good choice for a trainer .. I really have fun with mine ..
Old 09-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Charlie P.

A friend of mine has one and he has flown it extensively this year with good results. Two minor issues are the paint flakes off and the access is limited through the mid-wing access panel to hook-up the flaps - so he just transports it with wings attached.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1060_zps85652854.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1921126  
Old 09-16-2013, 04:44 AM
bikerbc

I use a black felt pen to keep mine colored up but I don't worry about it too much . The wings are a pain if you need to remove them but fortunately for me I have a pickup truck and I almost never need to take mine apart . Its the flap hook up I find difficult . In a way its nice to have it all together and to only need to plunk the battery in to be ready to fly .I can have it flight ready in about two mins . except for a range check.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:52 AM
oldbassard

Actually, I did jump to negative conclusions on the little plane, I should have waited till I flew it a few times. I respect it a little more now, as far as the elevator hinge problem, a little tape secured it better I will hinge it later and the paint problems I am going to touch up aith water based acrylic enamel
Old 09-16-2013, 07:25 AM
bikerbc

oldbassard are you going to be flying from wheels or floats or both ? I have been flying only from wheels so far.. I would really like to see the lights reflecting off the water at dusk ..My Buddy has been flying his from both floats and wheels and he says there is no CG changes .. I am going to try mine off the snow this winter ..I love electric in the winter .. there is no cold goo blowing on your hands and the motors start much easier.. You can keep the batteries under your armpit to keep them warm ..
Old 11-17-2013, 05:54 AM
douglinville

I recently purchased the Flyzone Beaver to fly on floats. I am still in the process of assembling. I am attempting to install a Futaba receiver. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to locate the receiver and how to organize the wires. I have not been able to get the battery and all the other equipment in the area that I assume was intended for the electronics.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 AM
oldbassard

Doug,

On the bottom of the cowl when you open the window. Looking down inside there's a angle that's flat, my receiver is taped to that with double sided tape. As far as the battery goes, they are made for one physical size in particular. The receiver should have came with a paper to show what channel controls each function. Inside the plane you will see a very small piece of paper on each lead near the plug that tells what that wire controls.

My battery sets in an angled slot towards the front of the airplane. I was ignorant about what's on the market for RC airplanes having been out of the for 20 years. I bought this one to get me back into the air as my first. It was a little bit of a pain to get figured out for me at first, but after I got it going, it's a fun flyer. I put wheels on mine because I don't own a boat to go chasing it across water if it comes down.

Last edited by oldbassard; 11-17-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:05 AM
douglinville

Thanks. I did find a place for the receiver. I wasn't able to use the one that came with it. I am fortunate to belong to a club that flies on water, and has a boat. I flew the plane Tuesday, and it flew great. One problem is the water rudder system. It doesn't move enough. Working on that now. Anyone have a fix for that?
Old 11-23-2013, 06:59 AM
xtnjsjnjian
Banned

I really have fun with mine ..
Old 12-07-2013, 07:44 PM
tmulligan

I recently got one of these planes and have flown it a few times. Overall, I think it is a terrific plane. It seems to be adequately powered, it is very stable in flight, it lands beautifully, and it can land on both land and water. It is one of my favorite planes.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:44 AM
bikerbc

I have had mine now for a season of flying and it is as much fun now as it was when I first got it ..I think it is one of the best values I have ever gotten for flying...It flys well in the wind , I like the lights and the flaps and the floats ..Its just an all around cool little plane .. I like how I can take it fully assembled to the field and stuff a battery in and fly .. So quick and easy...I fly it all the time ..They are tough little beggers too , mine is still in pretty good shape ..
Old 12-09-2013, 06:12 AM
oldbassard

Biker

Cool, actually I had purchased mine after not flying for 20 years and made my original post uninformed. I have grown to like it a great deal. Someone here a while back mentioned WELDER glue for repair. I DO like the stuff, they made a video on do's and don't about using it. I decided to strengthen my control hinges and I am really a happy camper now.