Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Kaos 60 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Kaos 60 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 07:20 PM
av8r95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Kaos 60 ARF

I am writing to voice my disappointment on this item. Several members in our flying club have purchased this aircraft and have been experiencing the same issues. First is the nose gear mounting hardware that breaks with very little effort, second is the hatch cover latch which either retracts during flight causing the canopy to fly off and become lost or it will not retract at all and needs to be cut with a hack saw blade in order to remove the canopy to get to the wing bolts, and thirdly, this just happened yesterday in that in performing a soft landing, the main gear blocks tore out of the wings causing significant damage. And upon examination finding that there was very little to no glue holding these blocks in.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:51 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Build this, and your complaints will go away. http://bridiairplanes.com/hangar/killerchaos60.html
Old 01-10-2016, 05:58 PM
lfd47
My Feedback: (13)

I have had all 3 of those failures with my plane. I called Tower and voiced my concerns and they had nothing to say. Poor quality.
Aside from that the plane flies great.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:11 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just picked one of these up last night from my LHS. I planned to make it a taildragger. I may possibly add a bolt to hold the hatch down. I will also look at the gear blocks and see if I can sneak some glue in there somehow if I can. Thanks for the heads up. At first blush, it looks great. The wing sure is thick at the root. This would seem to be a mod from the original design.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:09 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I haven't had a chance to read latest MA w/ Kaos on cover. Does product review article provide a realistic, unbiased report acknowledging problems stated above?
Old 01-15-2016, 07:39 AM
vertical grimmace

I do not remember any negatives pointed out in the article. But then again, maybe the reviewer did not experience any.

After looking closer at the Kaos, I do not think it is possible (without a lot of work) to convert it to a tail dragger. The main gear blocks are set too far back. Even bending new gear struts to put the wheels in the right place would make them too long.

The gear blocks in the wings can be seen through the lightening hole in the last rib. This gives you access to flow some glue onto these blocks. I am thinking of using laminating resin (thinner) and maybe thin CA on the outside, to get a better bond of these blocks. It does not look like there is a lot of glue on them. No glue squeeze out is present, which is not a good sign.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:35 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The Kaos is a great design. It's a shame GP didn't follow through 100% with the ARF. I just finished up a kit that had been framed up many years ago. A real swap meet gem. I got a little carried away with the covering and made it as pretty as my skills would allow. The .61 FSR had more wear then anticipated and was replaced with a new Kraft .61
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2141712   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2141713  
Old 01-17-2016, 10:14 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
The Kaos is a great design. It's a shame GP didn't follow through 100% with the ARF. I just finished up a kit that had been framed up many years ago. A real swap meet gem. I got a little carried away with the covering and made it as pretty as my skills would allow. The .61 FSR had more wear then anticipated and was replaced with a new Kraft .61
Pretty trim scheme and attention to detail; particularly like canopy, cockpit detail, no unsightly cowl seam, and covered wheel axles reminiscent of Kraft wheels from back in the day. IMO, a better looking airplane than the Ultra Sport of which I believe is/was a successor to the Kaos. Do you have any fuel draw issue with upright engine? What's a good prop for this airplane/engine combo?
Old 01-17-2016, 10:21 AM
vertical grimmace

I find it interesting how thick the wing section is on this Tower Kaos. It is significantly thicker than the Killer Kaos .60 I built years ago. I am going to guess it is 20% or more on this new offering. Almost more of a fun fly type airfoil. I am sure this thing flies great, and will have the ability to get very slow for landing.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Build this, and your complaints will go away. http://bridiairplanes.com/hangar/killerchaos60.html
No longer making kits....
Old 01-21-2016, 10:03 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Super08
No longer making kits....
Yeah, that is too bad. I would have liked to get a UFO kit. Are they done for sure, or just taking a break?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:09 PM
Super08

I think for good, I was after a UFO as well. I was trying to contact him for over a year. One of the guys said someone else is going to release the UFO but will be a laser cut kit. Won't be as nice as Blue Jay's cut and sanded parts but at least it will be available. Supposed to be out in a few months. The guy I was chatting with says he is getting the first kit. So far it is a secret as to who is bringing it out.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:50 AM
vertical grimmace

Maybe Eureka? http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/pattern.htm

They have a lot of pattern kits and fam wings. I am currently building a .50 Caliber. Pattern twin model. They do good work.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:53 AM
Super08

I never knew about them, great link.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:18 AM
Tailgunner-RCU

I just ordered a UFO from them (Bridi Kits by Blue Jay). They are still in business.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:35 AM
Super08

Weird I thought I posted an update but I don't see it. Anyways yes he contacted me the other day and said he had some. I have one on the way as well.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:28 AM
vertical grimmace

I may have to grab one of those as well.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:27 AM
HitecMan
My Feedback: (43)

Quick question from a fellow Kaos .60 builder... I need to replace a wheel collar and the nose gear steering control horn... both stripped out during my build. A. Because I over tighten notoriously B. I agree that the metal seems soft in this kit. What size do I need to get to replace these? I was going to use parts from a .40 size Skylark but the axle shaft is larger on the Kaos. Other than that I am happy with the build so far.