Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Models Yak 54

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Models Yak 54

Old 05-30-2016, 10:54 PM
Sukhoi_Madness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Models Yak 54

Hi guys,

I have a Phoenix Models Yak 54 .60 - .90 size.

The engine in the assembly manual is an OS .91 but I'd like to put in a petrol engine instead.

Something like a DLE-20RA.

This engine only appears to be about 100grms heavier.

Has anyone got any experience / advice on a petrol engine for this airframe.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2016, 06:52 AM
Dan33klein

I assume your looking to 3D the plane? I have a Phoenix model edge 540 being delivered today. I have a dle20ra resdy to put in it, as many other members did. But the edge is a .91-1.20 size plane. I think the dle20ra would work and it would be a power house, but you may be looking at definetly modifying/reinforcing the engine box/firewall. Not sure how the cowl will fit either... I think you could get it to balance. Move the fuel tank back to under the wing tube. And have your battery/receivee/ throttle servo behind the cg point.

Just my thoughts..
good luck!
Old 06-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

Originally Posted by Dan33klein View Post
I assume your looking to 3D the plane? I have a Phoenix model edge 540 being delivered today. I have a dle20ra resdy to put in it, as many other members did. But the edge is a .91-1.20 size plane. I think the dle20ra would work and it would be a power house, but you may be looking at definetly modifying/reinforcing the engine box/firewall. Not sure how the cowl will fit either... I think you could get it to balance. Move the fuel tank back to under the wing tube. And have your battery/receivee/ throttle servo behind the cg point.

Just my thoughts..
good luck!
Thanks for the feedback.

Not for 3D actually just scale aero so I'm not worried if its a little heavy as long as it balances nicely.