Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix SBach 120 from Tower build, and sort of introducing myself

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix SBach 120 from Tower build, and sort of introducing myself

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:46 AM
melttin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix SBach 120 from Tower build, and sort of introducing myself

Hi, I'm Matt, aka: melttin...

I have been out of the hobby for a while, but recently injured in a motorcycle accident that left me paralyzed from the waist down...I needed to look for outlets and alternatives within my capabilities, and decided to dive into RC again. I had a Saito 1.80 lying in a drawer, a Spektrum DX7 Heli transmitter with servos I had bought to fly small electrics. I also had a lot of old hardware and stuff I had spent a good amount of money on years ago, and reviving all of this stuff felt good. While in the rehab hospital, I called the local hobby shop and had them deliver RF7 simulator to get my thumbs back, and before leaving I bought a Parkzone Sukhoi and propped it up in the corner of my room for inspiration. The Suk flew ok after throwing the SAFE receiver away and putting a regular AR7000 in it. I joined the local club, and have been to the field a few times and am getting back into it nicely; well I did break the Suk in half last week when a battery died on me prematurely...I could have landed but decided to turn at the last second, bled of too much speed and dropped it on the runway. A clean break at the landing gear, I just gopped a bunch of CA on it and stuck it back together. Unreal. You can't hardly tell it was damaged. Now what kind of plane can be broken in two pieces, and in five minutes be glued back together and ready to fly...totally cool.

But I missed balsa...bigger planes...and the smell of glow fuel (yes sorry, yes I know...expensive!) ...but just one more time and I will advance to a gasser.

So I shopped around and saw the Sbach 1.20 on Tower for under 200 bucks...

With everything I had in drawers, this would be a cheap 1/4 scale/30cc plane for me to complete.

So I bought it.

Not too happy with the workmanship. The wing covering was burnt by the heating iron turning it brown along the ribs, and the canopy was slightly damaged...but it seems flyable and I definitely needed something to do after spending two years in a hospital bed.

Of course, once I started putting it together I remembered all the little things you have to to do an ARF to get it where you want, and I am not master builder by any means. A bit of a hack really.

I threw out the standard Spektrum servos which wouldn't deliver over 80 oz in, and bought some Tactic TXS57 ultra torque. They are slow but strong (around 180 oz in @ 6v) and price was fair...but I know I could have done better...oh well, it's what I have. I also decided to go with a bellcrank elevator linkage rather than two servos in the tail. I'm running a CF rod with 4-40 ball links, and will run a damper support to avoid oscillation. I am assuming a couple of things here that may be wrong.
First of all I am assuming that a 180 oz in servo will drive the rudder, and if so, one should be able to move the elevators as well. If the plane doesn't want to 3D, I will enjoy it as a high performance trainer and fly simple patterns and not try to do blenders...which I am addicted to. LOL...I am just hoping that this setup won't fail on the first flight.
I also remember the Saito's being a vibrator, and also being a bit sensitive about tank pressure/location/size etc. So I am leaving the smallish, 16 oz tank in the nose and will make short flights at first. I also decided to buy a cheap little on board glow driver from hobbyking. On the bench it works great. A 6 volt pack lights the plug white hot. (maybe too much, compared to my glow driver on a C battery which barely gets the plug a dull orange.) I installed it behind the firewall and put the push-button right on top of the cowling on top of the engine box. It will make the plane very easy to start. I think I might run dual battery packs, and I am leary of switches as they are prone to failure...not sure what to do there.
I have a Spektrum AR7000 with a satellite. I am hoping it will be adequate as a receiver, and I am mounting it near the spar on a foam pad.
I am running Byron 30%...and ooooh is that expensive...The glow Saito is nearing retirement!
I have picked up a bunch of different props and a tachometer...right now I have a wide 18 x 6 Zinger on it but it might be a tad too much prop...I am told the APC 16 X 8 is liked by the Saito 1.80 so I have one of those. and a few in between by various manufacturers.
I threw everything on it and set it on a scale with two 6v battery packs and aluminum spinner, comes out to just over 11.5 lbs, not too bad.
I fired it up the other day, first time I have hand turned this prop in over 8 years or more. No after-run engine oil...just took it out of the drawer, turned it over a few times and mounted it. It fired right up using the on board glow driver and idled pretty good. I did a couple of braaap braaaaps and stopped it, noting where the prop was indexed. It stopped horizontal, close enough. HOW EXCITING! I can't believe this thing ran so good after sitting in a drawer for so long. (It will get a thorough ground testing before flight though.)
Control surfaces seem to be working and I am fitting the cowling now.
I am crossing my fingers and hoping this thing will fly ok...at least for a little while.
I am kind of tired of putting things together that are kind of junky and want to clean up my act and build a nice quality 3D, 30cc gasser, and so I am saving my money and want to put together something with top quality electronics, servos and a DA 35. I am leaning towards the Aeroworks Extra 260 QB. That is a dream for another thread.
Thanks for reading this tiresome post, wish me luck (or warn me if that's your thoughts).
Happy flying.
_m
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito180-Sbach120.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	3.74 MB
ID:	2177422   Click image for larger version

Name:	sbach342-1.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	4.18 MB
ID:	2177423  

Last edited by melttin; 08-19-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:56 PM
abelard

Matt, I have nothing but awe for your determination. We all pick some balsa out of the weeds once in a while, but you're gonna have a great time. Enjoy.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:21 PM
pilotpete2

Hi Matt,
Best of luck with that Sbach! And congratulations on your determination
That Arf recently caught my eye as a possible airframe for a DLE 20RA
I really love an Sbach in that color scheme. Earlier this year I built a Sig Sbach electric at 50" span, my largest e-powered model to date. Sadly I lost orientation too far out for a model that small and against a really bad sky.... Dumb thumbs
I'm gonna stay tuned to your thread to see how it goes for you. I fly 2 Yak 54's and a bunch of Extras over the years, I really want an Sbach. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd probably go with a 30cc Pilot Sbach and a DLE 35RA, but that's a bit rich for me right now with a second full knee replacement being scheduled in the same year. The right knee went fantastic, so I really want to get the other one done. My only regret was putting off the first one so long. The worst part of the rehab was having to wait 6 weeks to be cleared for swimming. I swim laps at the local college 2 or 3 days a weeks, year round, so I really miss not getting in my laps.
Best of luck with your 'm aiden of the Sbach!
Pete
Old 08-23-2016, 08:40 AM
melttin

Thanks for the warm welcome and words of encouragement!

Boy, I hear that a lot regarding waiting too long for knee replacements. Good luck!

Well, I am getting close. I think it is a bit tail heavy. I will make adjustments, but I will never add weight to a plane to balance it. At least not fore and aft.

I think it is ready to fly.

But getting it to the field is a different story. I haven't got that figured out yet. Long story. But the building keeps me occupied and "in the hobby" at least.

I think I might pull the engine today and put it on a stand to play with. Something to do. I ordered a CDI for it. I think that will help with reliability and fuel consumption.

I will post some more pics when I finish it. Stay well all!

_MPH
Old 08-25-2016, 04:43 AM
melttin

Some bling bling for the Saito! I couldn't resist. I couldn't believe these when I saw them...just had to have them. Then I went back to Horizon to look again and they were on back order, so I got the last pair...for now at least. Seldom do I get so lucky.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160824_175220.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	996.7 KB
ID:	2178225   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160824_193603.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2178226  
Old 08-25-2016, 03:06 PM
pilotpete2

To paraphrase a great Duke Ellington song. It don't mean a thing, if it don't have that bling!!!
Man, they are cool.
Y'know, if I ever get around to finishing the 1/5th scale Sig Cub I'm building, I intend to convert the Saito .91 I'm planing on using to CDI as well. I have the engine mounted inverted, so it would be real nice to just turn on the ignition from the transmitter using a Tech-Aero IBEC. I run them on all my gassers
If you do go CDI on the Saito, I believe you run zero Nitro. Being that we have no hobby shop within a hundred miles, I'd be tempted to buy 5 gallons of methanol from a racing shop and just add the appropriate oil.
The plane looks sharp. Your engine install looks first class!
Pete
Old 08-27-2016, 06:16 AM
melttin

Thanks Pete!,

I will try to post pictures of the CDI install, as soon as it arrives. I was saddened to have to cut the openings in the cowl so much larger, but I am happy with the outcome. Right now I have a Glow driver installed, which seems to work very well, at least for starting the engine. But I want to have reliability in the air, not just ease of starting...and a good on-board glow driver isn't cheap, and for a little bit more, one can get a CDI, so it was a no brainer. I had no knowledge or experience with an IBEC, and want to thank you for that tip...I will order one as soon as I can.

Best of luck,

_MPH
Old 08-27-2016, 06:23 AM
melttin

Tech-Aero IBEC is on order...thanks for this!!!!

_MPH
Old 05-11-2018, 08:23 PM
heffingtond

Default Sbach 342 120 with Futaba S3010s?

Hi. I just bought an Sbach 120 from tower and just getting started on the build. Will the Futaba S3010 be enough servo for this plane's control surfaces? The torque is 72 oz-in @ 4.8 volts. If not, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited by heffingtond; 05-11-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:40 AM
GS11

Hi I'm Johngr aka GS11

I plan on using a SAITO 125 four stroker , as is the optimum engine for this bird.
Considering the type of this bird has the best power/weight ratio compared to the SAITO 180, DLE 30, DLE 20, DLE 35 (manufacturer recommendation), OS FS120III

btw how your knee replacement after surgery dude after 5 years?
my father got knee replacement.

The Saito 180 is way too much for this bird. weighs 100gr more than the , that being said you need to ad ballast aft

Also performance wise APC 16X6 @ 9000 rpm is the best option for vertical performance and top speed. If you put an 18x8-10 the top speed might increase but drag induced will undermine fuel consumption, thus your option to put gas for fuel economy is bad.

just my 0.02c

Johngr