Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Wing Joining Question:

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Wing Joining Question:

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Electriceddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Joining Question:

HI guys,

I have a quick , and almost possibly comical question:

When joining the wing halves together there is a template to line up the alignment dowels in each wing half. Now up until now since the instructions are a little vague at times, I have been thinking that the template as shown in the manual was to be glued in place between the 2 wing halves for added strength. But now I am not so sure. Can anyone confirm that the plywood template belongs in there sandwiched between the two wing halves for added strength or not?

Thanks Ed
Old 07-21-2017, 01:58 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Ed, Need to know what plane you got there. If it is a Biplane I would say yes. The ones I've seen
have that piece to fit the cabane struts in.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Electriceddie

Default Plane Name - ESM P-51B Mustang

Originally Posted by cubcrasher
Hey Ed, Need to know what plane you got there. If it is a Biplane I would say yes. The ones I've seen
have that piece to fit the cabane struts in.

ESM P-51B Mustang - Sorry I thought I included it.

Ed
Old 07-21-2017, 02:17 PM
cubcrasher

I pulled the instruction manual up and it is a little vague like you said. I think you do not
glue it in. It states according to the template drill the holes for the dowel. I take that to mean use it just to locate the hole.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:35 PM
cubcrasher

Another thing too. They are calling it a template. To me that means something along the lines of jig. If it
was to be glued in they would called it a joiner maybe. A lot of times those arf instructions aren't the best.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Electriceddie

Hi Guys,

Here are some Pic's that may clear some things up. There's pic with the wings joined without the template. Then a Pic with the template and a few variations of both. I know it may sound like a simple question because it is a template, but however the instructions are super vague and what I am saying here is the interpretation of these vague directions. They tell you to use the template to drill the dowel alignment holes in one wing half then to do the same to the other wing half. Then to remove the template and glue the wing halves together. But as I looked at it and thought about it I started to think that the fit was better between the 2 wing halves with the template installed and that by leaving in the template which is 1/8th " thick brings some strength to the wing joint since we are beefing up the plywood joint there at that location. Also the fit between the two wing halves seems to be a better fit between the 2 halves as well. Just a thought I had as I sat back and looked at it. Of course the more I looked at it the more I couldn't decide which way to go???? LOL........ So I figured I would pose the question to some of you guys.

Thanks a Bunch

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3107.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	2225242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3109.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	2225243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3110.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	2225244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3112.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	2225245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3117.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	2225246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3120.jpg
Size:	597.4 KB
ID:	2225247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3123.jpg
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	2225248  

Last edited by Electriceddie; 07-22-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:53 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the manual is unclear, I would try screwing in the wing hold-on bolts, with and without the template in place. The bolts will likely only fit in one of the configurations. My guess is you do not use the template but try bolting the wing on to be sure.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Electriceddie

Default Gauging by Wing Mounting Bolts:

Originally Posted by RBACONS
If the manual is unclear, I would try screwing in the wing hold-on bolts, with and without the template in place. The bolts will likely only fit in one of the configurations. My guess is you do not use the template but try bolting the wing on to be sure.
Hi RBACONS,

Great Idea....However the Wing mounting bolts & the wing dowels all have to be drilled and glued in. They do not come already drilled on the Fuse & the Wing like they do on some models (Unfortunately)

Thanks for the Great Idea though...

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0020.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2225340   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0021.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2225341   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0022.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2225342  

Last edited by Electriceddie; 07-23-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:31 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Too bad. That being the case, I would say that since its called a "template", and its not covered, you join the wings without it. Otherwise you would have that piece of uncovered ply showing on the finished plane. The wing joiner(s) are what provide the strength to the center section, not the root ribs.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:40 AM
Electriceddie

Originally Posted by RBACONS
Too bad. That being the case, I would say that since its called a "template", and its not covered, you join the wings without it. Otherwise you would have that piece of uncovered ply showing on the finished plane. The wing joiner(s) are what provide the strength to the center section, not the root ribs.
Actually it is not too bad as far as cosmetically speaking. The top of the wing is inside the Fuse (Remember it's a P51B Mustang) and the bottom is half covered by the Radiator. So only half of the bottom would be needing some silver paint and by the time the weathering process is completed it will look fine. I am just concerned with adding the 1/8th " ply Template for strength and since it fits so well and I see the joint being a tighter & better fit then without the template for some reason. I was contemplating going with using the template as part of the joint. I see no downside and for the upside I only see added strength. Unless I am missing something here. That's why the question was originally asked. That's all.

PS. I added some pics of the wing with NO Bolt holes and NO dowels yet for the front of the wing installed. So you could see.

Thanks
Ed
Old 07-23-2017, 06:01 PM
AA5BY

It is a drill jig and almost certainly not meant to be inserted into the finished wing.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Electriceddie

Originally Posted by AA5BY
It is a drill jig and almost certainly not meant to be inserted into the finished wing.
Hey It was just a Thought, I figured I would throw it out there................ LOL...

Thanks

Ed
Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 PM
AA5BY

Originally Posted by Electriceddie
Hey It was just a Thought, I figured I would throw it out there................ LOL...

Thanks

Ed
Ed, When reading my comment, I realized it sounded a bit arrogant but it was not intended to be anything but helpful. my bad.