Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 SIG TAIL DRAGGER >

SIG TAIL DRAGGER

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

SIG TAIL DRAGGER

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG TAIL DRAGGER

HI ALL
PLEASE HELP I HAVE A SIG KADET SENIOR ARF 80".
I WANT TO MAKE A TAIL DRAGGER OUT OF IT CAN SOME ONE HELP ME ON THIS ?

THANKS
ROCKY G.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:35 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: SIG TAIL DRAGGER

Piece of cake Rocky. First I think that plane uses wire landing gear. If it does you need flat Alum landing gear. Several companies make it and most hobby shops have it in stock. This must be positioned further forward than the stock location. The axles shoulb about even with the leading edge of the wing. Once you find the right spot a piece of ply needs to be put inside the fuse. A piece about1/4" thick 1&1/2" wide that will go from one side of the fuse to the other. Epoxy this inside the fuse and put a piece of 1/2" tri stock on top of it on each side were it touches the fuse sides. Then place your gear on the fuse and drill all the way through the gear and the ply block.(the epoxy must cure overnight first) Attach it with four #8 screws or drill and tap it for 1/4*20 nylon wing bolts. The tail is easy. You will need to add a piece of 1/8" ply at the back. Then buy a Kleet Tailwheel. It is easy to attach and has a diagram on the packedge.
Good Luck, David
Old 09-29-2003, 03:29 AM

THANKS DAVEOPAM
HAY THAT WILL WORK FOR ME . THAT IS SIMPLE COOLHAY THANKS AGAIN

ROCKY G
ROCKDEBBOAT
Old 09-29-2003, 11:46 AM

[8D]I used a Sig 4* 120 gear on mine. Depending on the finished weight you may need to make a bungie arrangement for it. Using 3/32 wire, that fits the pre-drilled holes, make an angle so when fitted in the holes the angle is approx. an inch below the center of the gear. Put a small hook in the gear at the fuse and wrap a rubber band around the wire and back to the hook. Works great. I went to more trouble with the tail feathers. I trimmed about 2 inches off the rear of the fuse so the horizontal stab could be moved forward enough to line up with the vertical stab. I made a split elev. and a new rudder that would fit it. You will need to re-route the push rods so they exit below the horizontal stab. Put an 1/8 inch lite ply plate on the bottom of the fuse to hold the tail wheel assembly. I used a Sullivan tail wheel. Shortening the fuse made no difference in the planes ability to fly. For a real thrill put a set of wheel pants on it, you now have a late 30s' or early 40s' era plane. Good luck!