Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Country of Manufacture for ARFs

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Country of Manufacture for ARFs

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 02:45 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Country of Manufacture for ARFs

These days I feel I should consider WHERE a product is manufactured before I buy it. With ARF planes, there are many companies but how do we know where they actually come from? Is there a listing of some kind? If not, maybe we can generate one here.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:34 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Scratch build your own then you don't have to worry about it

No listing I know of, but it's pretty common knowledge that they either come out of China or Vietnam
Old 10-10-2021, 05:59 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I’m not overly concerned as Scale has said most are out of China although I don’t exactly like sending money to China. The fact is that it’s a necessary evil to participate in our hobby. The bigger issue for me is the low grade materials used. Most ARFs start looking shabby fairly quickly.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:11 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I’m not overly concerned as Scale has said most are out of China although I don’t exactly like sending money to China. The fact is that it’s a necessary evil to participate in our hobby. The bigger issue for me is the low grade materials used. Most ARFs start looking shabby fairly quickly.
And that is the reason I won't buy an ARF or, for that matter, a foam plane. Granted, they do get you in the air quickly and for less money than a kit or plans build will but, as Speed said, the quality just isn't there. What it comes down to is are you willing to spend money on mediocre product or would you rather build it yourself and know EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE GETTING?
Old 10-10-2021, 07:05 PM
speedracerntrixie

Hydro, unfortunately that brings up the topic of kit availability. We only have a fraction of what we used to be able to get. There are a few on my list that have some sentimental value to me. The Bridi Rearwin Speedster being one of them. My dad bought one back in 1979, the two of us worked on it and got it to the point of covering just before I moved out on my own, sadly he sold it instead of finishing it. Recently I was able to find a kit but payed more then double what it originally cost. This will actually be my first go at a detailed scale build as I have a full scale example just 30 miles away.

Old 10-10-2021, 07:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Trust me, I'm well aware of the lack of kits. That is why I said kits or plans, plans are easily obtainable. My two Kadet Jrs are both being built from plans from a long ago destroyed kit build. Granted, I don't normally build anything stock which is why I prefer to build from plans than buy a kit. With that said, Sig has several good beginner kits, starting with the tried and true Kadet Series of trainers. You just pick the size and complexity and go to work on it. As I see it, if I could build a Kadet kit, using the bare minimum of recommended tools and not having a clue as to what I was doing, anyone can
Old 10-10-2021, 09:13 PM
allanflowers

My question isn't about kits. I have built several and done some scratch building (starting with a 3 view and photos, which is true scratch building as opposed to plan building). That is not the point of this thread however.
Whether a product is from Vietnam or China may well be an issue, the former being somewhat less of a problem for me. I also assume some models are from Europe but maybe that is just the really hi-end ones?
Old 10-11-2021, 04:15 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Trust me, I'm well aware of the lack of kits. That is why I said kits or plans, plans are easily obtainable. My two Kadet Jrs are both being built from plans from a long ago destroyed kit build. Granted, I don't normally build anything stock which is why I prefer to build from plans than buy a kit. With that said, Sig has several good beginner kits, starting with the tried and true Kadet Series of trainers. You just pick the size and complexity and go to work on it. As I see it, if I could build a Kadet kit, using the bare minimum of recommended tools and not having a clue as to what I was doing, anyone can
Not to come off negative but IMO Sig has nothing to offer the more advanced pilots. I think where the OP is headed is that the would like to find an ARF that is high quality and not Chinese made. Personally ai have not seen such animal unless you are into high performance, composite sailplanes.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:33 AM
allanflowers

Yes, I would like to avoid Chinese companies when there is a good alternative, even from other Asian countries. Nonetheless, I can see still supporting one of the better Chinese manufacturers with which I have obtained quality products (FMS comes to mind).
Here is a partial list of companies, some are ARF makers, some probably not. In many cases the company gets its products from China anyway.CARF Germany/China?

Great Planes

Hanger 9

Troy Built

CY Models

Seagull Vietnam

Black Horse

Top RC

ESM

TopFlite

Freewing

Nexa

VQ Vietnam

Sist

TBM

Phoenix Vietnam

KMP

Kangke Vietnam

Maxford California

Airworld Germany

Dynaflite

Yellow

Vogelsang North Carolina/?

BVM Florida

Skymaster

H-King

Fliteline

Skynetic

Dynam

Nitroplanes
Old 10-15-2021, 10:07 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

From my experience, I have found ARFs from Vietnam are far superior than those from China. My second Tower Kaos and my Goldberg Eagle both came from Vietnam with zero issues. My first Kaos was out of China with covering issues and the right aileron glued in upside down. Every ARF I have owned has had warp issues that cannot be avoided from sitting in a hot and humid container for weeks on end.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:07 PM
allanflowers

The Dynam Waco I am currently working on has that issue you mentioned (sitting in a container for weeks on end). Although actually rather well packed, I thought, the tail of the fuse was distorted. I tried a heat gun (not successful) and hot water (a little better) but could not get the end straight enough to avoid the entire fin/rudder from being crooked (I don't need THAT much right rudder even on takeoff).
I took an exacto and cut the last two inches off, sanded on a corrective bevel and epoxied the thing back onto the fuselage. Not very pretty but, with the decals, it really won't show.