Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Need To Replace Pre-installed Push Rod Sleeves In Phoenix .55 Size Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Need To Replace Pre-installed Push Rod Sleeves In Phoenix .55 Size Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 10:01 PM
Crazy Legs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need To Replace Pre-installed Push Rod Sleeves In Phoenix .55 Size Corsair

I have a .55 Size Phoenix Corsair airplane that I'm building. The Elevator Halves have their own Control Horn and Push Rod even though the Elevators are rather small. The Phoenix method of controlling the Elevators is with two separate Metal Alloy Push Rods that are physically "joined" inside the Fuselage, however, they don't slide very smoothly inside the pre-installed Pushrod Tubes because the Pushrod Tubes aren't installed in a straight line; they bend as they take aim to meet at the same place just forward of the aft Hatch Opening. It's the wackiest idea I've ever seen... to attempt to join two separate Metal Push Rods that come from two different Elevator Horn Locations. I would rather use the Sullivan Plastic Tube-in-Tube Flexible Control System because: 1) they're much lighter than the metal ones and 2) they would place much less of a load on the Elevator Servo. I'm thinking that I might be able to use an old Outside Plastic Pushrod Sleeve that fits over the skinny existing Push Rod Sleeves Phoenix installed and use that old sleeve as a sort of a drill to cut out the soft Hot Glue Phoenix used to secure the Push Rod Sleeves to the Formers. I could cut little teeth in the end of the Plastic Outer Sleeve I intend to use as a cutting tool and twist the sleeve to dig into the Hot Glue (it's kind of soft) and Balsa Former. Then I can install a slightly larger diameter Sullivan Push Rod Outer Sleeve in the same old hole locations the old sleeves were glued in. Let me know if anyone has a better idea for removing the old sleeves. Thank you. See photo showing the pre-installed sleeves in the back of the Corsair Fuselage.