Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

sig 4star60 arf

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

sig 4star60 arf

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 09:51 PM
Camtek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig 4star60 arf

I am in process putting together a sig fourstar 60 arf. I have gotten to the point where I am supposed to remove a couple of uncovered balsa spacers in the horizontal-vertical stab area. The fuselage in the box does not look exactly like the picture. The area in question is covered with oracover and I don't see anything I can remove per the booklet. I can surely see that something must be removed from this area so the stabalizers will fit where they are supposed to. Has anyone built this arf and seen the problem I am referring to?
thanks
Old 10-08-2003, 04:50 PM
Hoosier_Flyer

Default RE: sig 4star60 arf

I just finished assembly on this plane last week and I am familiar with the area. If you take the horiz stab and lay it next to the covered block, you can just make out an indention in the covering. I just pressed into the covering with an X-acto. Do the same for the vert stab. The piece you need to remove is actually tacked in with a little CA. I had to run the blade of the X-acto between the two pieces before it would slide out.

Having said all this; once I had the filler piece removed, the space allowed for the horiz stab was too small and both fillets came loose. I took them off too and plan on gluing them in place at some point. I'm too busy flying the plane right now. Absolutely beautiful flying plane. I powered mine with the OS 91 Surpass II 4-stroke.

Hope this helps,

Brian
Old 10-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Camtek

Brian, After posting this, I got impatient and got in there with my knife and discovered just what you are talking about. I am going to see if I can get somewhere with it tonite.
I am going to use a Irvine 72 in mine. Thanks for your help.

Robbie
Old 10-11-2003, 03:36 PM
MSP1957
My Feedback: (1)

Had five great flights on mine today. This is my second plane. OS61fx, perhaps a little under powered. Not great vertical with it (falls out quicky when hammer heading it) You will like it. i too was confused by the tail section cut-out.

Michael
Old 10-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Bob101

Did you go thru the whole plane (the ARF) and re-do all the formers/firewalls/wing attachment/and landing gear joints?

Just curious cause I'm 3/4 finished with one and I was really disappointed to see all the above stuff glued with hot melt glue and not epoxy. Everyone talks about how great the plane was, that was a real letdown. I didn't expect hot glue in there like that all over.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Mach1Latus
My Feedback: (3)

I have a 4* 60 ARF that I soloed on last year. Its powered with an OS 91FX and it is a great rouged plane I have about 100 flights on it and It is still going strong. I didn't make any modifications to the structure at all.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:52 AM
laefd

Area in question is certainly one of the weak spots in this ARF....I took meticulous care and still found that I needed to re-epoxy the cut outs (you'll have to apply epoxy anyway when you install the tail).

The plane flys FANTASTIC! You'll love it! Start out with the low rates as recommended and be sure you balance beforehand. Mine is ever so slightly nose heavy and after 4-5 flights I'm adjusting now back toward the tail. It's a great airplane to fly!
Old 10-12-2003, 10:00 PM
The_Matrix

One Mod I would suggest is to take some epoxy, thin it with alcohol, and brush a coat onto firewall, especially at seams.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:20 PM
Bob101

I got mine together over the weekend and put a blue trim scheme on it over the stock yellow. Big blue checkerboard on the bottom 1/3 outside of the wing blending into 2 stripes over the top of it the same width as the checker part plus some stuff on the fuselage.

Only problem so far was I decided to break the new engine (TT Pro .61) in while on the plane instead of a bench. Bad decision. I had the canopy down with the screws pretty tight, but the vibration from a motionless plane with a full power engine made little rub marks all over the cowl where it hit in the front and back and cracked it.....Blah.