Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 funtana questions >

funtana questions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

funtana questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 06:58 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default funtana questions

Does it seem like a 14 x 4 prop is not enough pitch? I need some help with the arebatics too, spoilerons for anything besides a parachute? How long should I be able to stay in the air before running out of fuel right now it is new so I am still a little rich but I am only getting about 7 minutes flying. Did anyone need to do much ajusting to the low idle needle on the Saito 72 if so about how much? Thanks to anyone that can give me some help.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:45 PM

Default RE: funtana questions

Runing a 13 x 4W on my 72, but only using 20%. Plenty of speed. Don't think this plane would like fast. Using the stock tank? Keep my timer set for 10 minutes, but kept it up over 18 the other day. Didn't check the tank but it landed running. How much time have you got on the engine? Start leaning out the low end, just make sure the transition is good. It will take a few gallons to get it running its best.

Still playing with the flapperon/spoileron thing with this plane and have not settled on what works best for what yet. Almost dumped it the other day trying a low blender with spoilerons on. I had them at 100% mix. Think about 20% might be good. Have not programmed in the snap flapperons/spoilerons yet.
Ed M.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:57 AM

Did anyone need to do much ajusting to the low idle needle on the Saito 72 if so about how much?
Definitely. The low speed needle is always in a very rich setting out of the box. After you have about a gallon of fuel put thru the engine you should be able to tweak the low end. The ideal setting is as lean as it will go with good idle and good transition to full throttle. The low speed screw is usually very sensitive so take your time finding the best setting. Once it is set correctly you shouldn't have to touch again. Try for an idle around 2200 rpm's, they will run lower but it's usually not needed. Here's a link for a lot of info on Saitos.

http://saito-engines.info/
Old 10-12-2003, 09:24 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Mine is only running about 9 minutes right now, but again I had been running it very rich. I leaned the high idle out now and just last night leaned the low in about a 1/4 turn. If mine idles much under 3000 it cut off yesterday. I am going out again today I guess we will see. Thanks
Old 10-12-2003, 10:16 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have spoilerons set at 100% on a switch. You have to be able turn it on and off. The work great for elevators and the wall. The elevator this thing will do is unreal. Mine drops straight down inverted and flat. At high idle it even goes nose up but also pulls the plane forward.
The 4" pitch prop is perfect for this plane. Your .72 might have a better time with the 13*4W so try both.
later David
Old 10-12-2003, 04:41 PM

Mine is only running about 9 minutes right now, but again I had been running it very rich. I leaned the high idle out now and just last night leaned the low in about a 1/4 turn. If mine idles much under 3000 it cut off yesterday. I am going out again today I guess we will see. Thanks
Change the plug to an OS "F" plug if you haven't already, this will improve the idle. Be careful not to lean the high speed needle too much or you could damage the engine. Lean the high speed needle slowly at full throttle until the highest rpm is reached and then richen it until you get a decrease of about 300 rpm's. 4 strokes like to run on the rich side. Check that link I posted above and it will give you step by step instructions for tuning a Saito. Also keep in mind that a Saito starts to come around after about a gallon of fuel has been thru it.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:43 PM
My Feedback: (3)

How long should I be able to stay in the air before running out of fuel right now it is new so I am still a little rich but I am only getting about 7 minutes flying. Did anyone need to do much ajusting to the low idle needle on the Saito 72 if so about how much?

Run about a gallon of fuel through before you adjust too much