Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Aero Works 540 60/90 (Qualiy )

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Aero Works 540 60/90 (Qualiy )

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 09:44 PM
Tim Holley
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aero Works 540 60/90 (Qualiy )

I have a Saito 120 4-stroke engine and I want an ARF to put it in . I was wanting to know if anyone has this combo . It seems like it would be a perfect match but is it a good quality arf , and is it a light plane or heavy .I want it to be very vertical , but at the same time I don't want a brick with wings .I really like the Cap232 type plane and haven't had any expereince of the edge or extra .Any knolageable input would be welcome .......Thanks in advance......
Old 10-22-2003, 08:49 AM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aero Works 540 60/90 (Qualiy )

I had one last season, as I was caught up in the hype. Here's my take on it.

I had one with a 31 ounce Webra 120 in it. As delivered, it weighed 9.5 pounds (should have been 7 to 7.5 according to AW). I replaced the gear with AeroGlass fiberglass gear, and then had a few sessions with the old Dremel tool. After some work, and expense, it weighed 8.5 pounds. I threw away the elevator pushrod and put in a carbon rod with an MK bellcrank. I added flying wires to the tail, and sealed all hinge lines with clear packing tape.

Flying was good, but not what I expected. Most aerobatics were good. Knife edge was lacking even though the rudder was huge. Tumbles were good (as good as any Cap) as were spins. For 3D, I never got a decent harrier upright or inverted. The rest was ok. Landing was very slow for what I thought was a heavy plane.

The power of the Webra on this bird was phenominal. It snatched the plane from a hover, and takeoff (with flaps down) was about 5 feet. I'd think your Saito would do as well.

As for looks, it is truly beautiful. As for quality, if it wasn't so heavy, I'd give it an "A". Considering weight into the equation, I'd give it an all around "C+". My $165 Funtana 40 flies just as good, but with a better harrier.

Please consider, this is only one person's opinion.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:54 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aero Works 540 60/90 (Qualiy )

use the "search" function....you will get several days of reading...everything you ever wanted to know about the aeroworks 60/90 edge but were afraid to ask....