Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World Model (WM) or Yellow Aircraft - Which is of higher quality?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World Model (WM) or Yellow Aircraft - Which is of higher quality?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 12:16 PM
panzer66
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Model (WM) or Yellow Aircraft - Which is of higher quality?

Hi, any experience with both manufacturers? All I heard is that both kits are of high quality, especially Yellow Aircraft.

Anyways, I'd like to know which one is of a higher quality in terms of built, materials used, and finish?

Actually, I'm thinking of getting a WM Chipmunk 90S as a 3rd plane. However, I saw on a website all those .60 size aerobatics planes from Yellow. They just look beautiful!

FYI, I want to get into scale warbirds in the future and I'm currently flying a SIG LT-40 and a SIG Mid-Star 40. I wonder which plane fits me better for the transition into warbirds -- the Chipmunk or the Yellow Extra 300L (or CAP 232 or SUKHOI 31)?

BTW, what's difference between the Extr 300, CAP 232 and Sukhoi 31 in terms of flying characteristics?

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:46 AM
Geoffbob
My Feedback: (12)

I have/ have had four World planes, also the Yellow 120-size Cap. I would rate the Yellow quality as being marginally better overall; but it's a fine line IMO and all of the World planes are really good also. I haven't flown the 60-size Yellow planes so I can't comment on them, but I do have a Goldberg Chipmunk (which the World cowl and canopy fit just perfect on, go figure! They're identical) which is my favorite knock-around airplane. The Cap is a bit harrier (?) to fly, it tip stalls a bit sooner and more violently than I would like. I personally prefer the Extra (I have one in 30%) over the Cap; a bit smoother and with the flying surfaces more in line there's a lot less coupling. If you're interested in warbirds, it would seem to me that the Chipmunk would be the more logical choice. Either way, they're fun! Happy flying!
Old 05-13-2002, 04:30 AM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

Hi ME109,

The WM Chipmunk makes a very good warbird trainer. I installed Springair retracts and Robart struts in mine. For the price, learning to handle flaps and retracts with this plane makes a lot of sense. Check out my WM Chipmunk pics in the gallery.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11000_759.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	7424  
Old 05-13-2002, 09:28 AM
Ron Irving

Both are excellent quality ARF's
The Yellow ArF's would have the edge on finish
but are usually more expensive.

I had a WM CAP232-120 which was excellent.
I also have a WM Extra-120 to be assembled.
A friend has the 60/90 size Midget Mustang.
I have never seen or heard any bad reports on
any WM ARF's except for the Mustang-120 retracts
were crappy.
Old 05-13-2002, 05:33 PM
ninefingers
My Feedback: (18)

Default BTW, what's difference between the Extr 300, CAP 232 and Sukhoi 31 in terms of flying

I've owned all these except a Sukoi. The Super Chipmunk is by far the easiest to fly, especially land. The Extra (mines a 120-size) is the most difficult to land (it snaps lightning fast).

Now as far as preparing you for war-birds I've only owned a .40 size Me-109 so I so I dont know Good luck!

I can tell you this however. I had great difficulty just taking off my Me-109 cause it would tork to the left REAL BAD if I throttled way up too soon. Found out it needed LOTS of right thrust in the engine mount so BEWARE.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:00 PM
panzer66
My Feedback: (3)

Default WM Chhipmunk

Hi guys, thanks for your input. Very informative.

Texan, your Chipmunk is very nice. I also use JR radios and I wonder what servo you used for the retract.

BTW, would you let me know what Springair retract and Robart strunt you used (model number and pricing if possible)? What's the size of the wheels? Do you fly off grass? I do.

In addition, have you modified the retract well to accomandate the Springair retract? I Springair is air-pump powered. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Finally, with my minimal experience of building (SIG Mid-star), do you think I would be able to set-up the Springair retract and the flaps?

Oh, just to my curiosity, why did you side-installed the OS instead of inverted? If inverted, the cut on the cowl is on the bottom and less visible. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:57 AM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

Default Re: WM Chhipmunk

Originally posted by ME109
Hi guys, thanks for your input. Very informative.

Texan, your Chipmunk is very nice. I also use JR radios and I wonder what servo you used for the retract.

* The servo is not an issue on pneumatic retracts

BTW, would you let me know what Springair retract and Robart strunt you used (model number and pricing if possible)? What's the size of the wheels? Do you fly off grass? I do.

* Springair model 103HD and Robart strut #650. The wheels are stock WM. I don't fly the CM off of grass.

In addition, have you modified the retract well to accomandate the Springair retract? I Springair is air-pump powered. Correct me if I'm wrong.

* The wheel well is slightly modified to accept the larger struts. The retracts fit the same mounts as the stock mechanical WM gear. Yes, the retracts require an air tank installed in the plane.

Finally, with my minimal experience of building (SIG Mid-star), do you think I would be able to set-up the Springair retract and the flaps?

* You may need some help. Trimming and fitting the struts and programming the radio may be challenging.

Oh, just to my curiosity, why did you side-installed the OS instead of inverted? If inverted, the cut on the cowl is on the bottom and less visible. Just my opinion.

* I prefer a side mounted installation for 4 strokes.

Thanks for your help.