Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hello and help please! Kyosho Giles

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hello and help please! Kyosho Giles

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 11:30 PM
Jetdemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and help please! Kyosho Giles

Hi all, this is my first post here, as I am new to this site. Looks like a great bunch of folks here.

Well I went out and bought a Kyosho Giles 202 ARF/.60. Seems like a really nice plane. It appears to be very well constructed. My only complaint so far is that some of the needed items such as clevises and aileron pushrods are not included in the kit. I thought that they must have just left them out, but the instructions clearly state that these items must be purchased separately. Also the Super Tiger .61 that I am putting in clearly doesn't fit in the cowling without such major modifications. The muffler is just too big.

Anyway, this is my current problem. I starting cutting the cowling today to make the engine fit and now it looks like hammered you know what. How in the world do you cut this thing and make it look nice and neat. Actually the cutting is not my problem. I cut way more than I should and now have gigantic holes in my airplane. I have a nice little drimmel tool that will cut just about anything. My problem is knowing where to cut. I managed to misalign just about everything on the cowling. Now, I am think I am going to order another cowling and try again if I can learn any tips on how to do a better job.

This is not the first time I have had this problem. Every time I have done this in the past, it always looks terrible. If any of you can offer any tips of the trade for more precision alignment cutting of the cowling, I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry about the rambling. Thank you all in advance.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:50 PM
CrashMeister
My Feedback: (4)

Use masking tape to tape strips of stiff paper to the fuselage so that they extend over the cowl area. Mark the location of the plug, needle, muffler etc on the paper. Remove the engine and place the cowl on the plane. Now transfer the marks to the cowl.

ALWAYS cut smaller than required to start with. Switch to a cone shaped sanding wheel and enlarge the holes with that. Trial fit often to see where you need to cut any extra.

It's not difficult, just tedious.

Regards,
Craig.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:01 PM
Jetdemon

CrashMeister,

Thanks for the reply. Excellent idea on the cowling, I will be sure to try that next time around. Thanks again for you help.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:09 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Jetdemon, I am assembling a freind of mines Kyosho Giles, and the clevises were in the box. They use what looks like an aluminum tube with 2 set screws to lock down on the pushrod, and a screw on the other end to lock on the control horn. He also has the aileron pushrods in the box. This manual does not say you need to buy those items, they are all there. Daz...
Old 05-14-2002, 02:26 AM
Jetdemon

Dazzler, thanks for the info about the clevices. I haven't gotten that far along with the elevators and rudder and just noticed that there were no standard clevices (like the ones that they show in the directions for the ailerons). But, I am positive that there were no aileron pushrods in my kit. Believe me, I searched and searched. And, I don't know about your directions, but mine specifically said these parts must be purchased separately. There is an X that points to these parts. At the bottom there is a legend, and that legend says that the X means that these parts must be purchased separately.

If I am just a total dumb***** and am totally missing something here I am sorry. But, I honestly believe that they left parts out of my kit. And those parts are listed in the directions as required to purchase separately.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:48 AM
Keith #7

Hey mine was the same way... listed in the instuctions as not there. However i did have the rods with the set screw clevis mounts with my kit. Even the dowels so odds are you are missing them, in fact i was very happy to find them there. I elected to buy threaded rods and screw on clevis mounts I just dont like set screws they hate to stay set for me. I have flown this plane for about two months as much as possible and it flies great! Odds are you would have wanted to customize your control config some anyway. I wish I would have found this sooner because I could have given you the rods that came from my kit but at this point I dont know if I have all of them or not. In any case be happy, you have one really nice airplane there and I am sure you will like it.