Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

EZ ARF'S??

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

EZ ARF'S??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 12:14 PM
cde0214

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZ ARF'S??

Has anyone seen or owned an EZ arf. I'm looking at the Dago Red and VooDoo mustangs. No one at our club has any planes that mimick the reno racers, just thought I would have something a little different. If you have any info on how they fly, or quality of the ARF, I would be greatful. Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-08-2003, 01:57 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: EZ ARF'S??

Awesome eye-catching designs and good quality construction, though I think they use too much plastic in their construction. Expensive and not very easy to repair because of the unique covering (Printed design over foam backed covering) OK Models uses.

OK Models EZ 3D Cap. Distributed by MRC (http://www.modelrec.com/search/ez.asp). This 7.5 pound 46-size aerobat retails for $325.00. For that kind of money I can get a decent 1/4-scale Cap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58892.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	80764  
Old 12-08-2003, 03:20 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an old .30 Sukhoi from quite a few years back. It's a great flying model and I would love to have another. But, as stated previously, they are not easy to repair and once you doink one, they will forever show the creases in the foam board covering. Just the same, they are excellent models.

Johnm
Old 12-08-2003, 03:22 PM
cde0214

Hilleyja,

I preciate the info, I noticed they were pricey, but they were the only ones to offer the DAGO RED and VOODOO in their new paint scheeme. Oh well, maybe I'll be like everyone else and go to a big bird or a warbird!! Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2003, 03:27 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a Dago Red, look at the World Models one. They are great flyers and well built.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:09 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Not bad for around $200.00

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/dagored.html
Old 12-08-2003, 07:11 PM
deputydog

I had the Voodoo and the military mustang. They are excellent flyers and I especially loved my Voodoo. The Voodoo had a YS-45 in it and the mil mustang had the YS-63 4 stroke. They were the envey of the field. I was racing someone with the Voodoo and pulled really, really hard on the elevator to get him(and I knew better!!!) and tip stalled it. Over 100mph into the ground. I miss it. Expensive but worth it!
Old 12-08-2003, 08:01 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Hi. I've owned about 6 different EZ arfs. I haven't purchased a new kit since a place called Hobby Shack used to sell them. Just picked up a Mystic .30 from a gentleman here on RCU. They are well built and the covering is very unique....foam covered so there is never a wrinkle problem unless you dork it. Really nice but now they're very expensive. Back in the day you could buy a "Sportsman" .25 for around a hundred bucks!

Spence
Old 12-09-2003, 05:20 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

They are some of the bset built and detailes ARF out there but as stated earlier the foam sheeting is easilt damaged and hard to repair
Old 12-14-2003, 07:18 PM
gregusan
My Feedback: (2)

[:-]I've had a few EZ's also, and on the plus side of the foam/plastic covering, they are very durable, don't wrinkle, or tear, like Monokote can.

I currently have a P51D (blue one) .40 size, with a Webra Speed 61 in it. It wieghs about 6 or 6 1/2 lbs, and flys very nice, smooth, and not nearly as hot on landing as I was led to believe. The retracts tore out fairly easily though, and they had also been repaired before I got it. Besides that, the fuse actually broke in half from a crash by the previous owner, and he repaired it, and it doesn't look that bad at all! But the dull, matt miltary finish probably hides the repair better than the shiny finish of a Dago Red would.

I also have a Mystic 30 like the guy above, but haven't flown it yet. I've heard they are very fast. I need some documents to find the balance point on mine, if any of you know where I can find it.

Thanks, Greg Email: [email protected]
Old 12-16-2003, 09:07 AM
jbrundt
My Feedback: (2)

Best EZ ARF I ever had was their big Zero (56" w/s). I put a 90 4 stroke in there spinning a 3 bladed Graupner prop. She flew like she was on rails. Had retracts too and a belly tank (pirated from my OK Models wood kit). The newer ones are even pricier than before but they are the Cadillac of the ARF world.

Jeff
Old 12-16-2003, 09:40 AM
crownvic

i had the zero and the p51 both were great flyers. where do you find them know.
i havent seen any since hobby shack disappeared
Old 12-17-2003, 04:07 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

I had the military P-51 with a Saito .72 and man was it fast. On high rates would roll about 1 per second! Really good flier and stable on low rates, great looking too.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

EZ ARFs made by OK Model Co. were the best when they were in their prime (1980s and early 90s). Now they have been surpassed by Great Planes, Top Flite, and Hanger 9 all wood and fiberglass ARFs. For less money you get a better airplane! Good-bye EZ. I wish that OK Model would release their own line of Chinese ARFs based on their Giant Scale kits that have long been OOP. Wow would we have something there!!!

Yak
Old 12-18-2003, 06:15 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

<<...have been surpassed...>>

Dunno if I agree with that. I would agree that the best of those you mentioned are as good as the EZ's, but better?

The only real problem with the EZ's was/is that foam board 3-layer skin simply is not repairable; at least back to its original condition. But, as was noted above, that finish was VERY resistant to "hangar rash" and other handling dings. It will still be looking good long after seams and edges on a film-covered ARF are beginning to come up, turn loose, etc., etc.

So, if you expect to crash and re-build, then yes, I suppose the modern all-wood-and-film-covering offerings are "better". And some of the latest ARFs actually have usable hardware. So that is better too, in some cases.

But that foam-board skinning, which was OK Model Company's trademark, sure was hard to beat for looks and durability.

I had two of the old RPM Cessnas, made for RPM by OK Models in the late 80s. Looking back, I believe that one is my all-time favorite, of all the different models I've owned.

Sure would like to find one NIB somewhere...

Old 12-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

I built a VooDoo a few months ago. It looks great finished!
The plans are not the best and omit details.
If you go with one definatly stick to a satio 72, it's an easy bolt in, I installed a OS70II and the mount needed minor modifications.
I can't say much about the flight characteristics as I havn't flown mine yet.
Read this review it helped my allot in the construction!
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/reviews/dago.asp
Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 PM
what?

man I love the voodoo I got the Combo deal from rchookup.com The 40 size voodoo with a rossi 65 and mann that is a straight rocket, looks greate and flies very fast... well over 100MPH Very stable flier.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

AIRBORNE MODELS aka "WORLD MODELS" has the VOODOO MUSTANG .46 size instock!

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2757

WE have the other DAGORED color scheme instock by VQ MODELS:
http://vqwarbirds.com/products/aircraft/p51d.html free shipping!

CHEERS!

-TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS
"KEEP 'EM FLYING"
PROUD SPONSOR OF T-34 Racing! www.t34racing.com