Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

UltraStick 60 ARF Issues

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

UltraStick 60 ARF Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 02:25 PM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch them Wing Dowels

Has any one had any trouble with the wing dowels? I put the first 5 flights on my US60 yesterday and at the end of the day when I took the wing off I noticed that one of the dowels was loose.

When I got home and under closer inspection the dowel was broke. One or two more flights and I may have been writing a different story.

I drilled both dowels out and replaced them with 3/8" dowels that go into the wing as deep as the leading edge wood is, about 1 1/4" in and 1/2" out. 3/8" dowels are a little overkill but after I drilled the dowels out a 5/16 dowel fit a little loose so I just went to the next size that would fit snug.

So if you are building one use a better grade dowel if it's already built keep a close eye on the wing dowels or replace them.

Great flying airplane anyway. I got to play with the crow and mixes a little and liked them. I installed the servos in the tail with pull pull on the rudder and made carbon fiber push rods for all the other surfaces. The US60 is becoming my favorite plane.

DEG
Old 06-30-2002, 02:30 PM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

Default UltraStick 60 ARF Issues

I had the same problem with mine and the dowels. I usually keep the plane in one piece so that I can sneak in a quick flight on the way to work and back home. One day I had to switch cars and could not get it into the car in one piece and removed the wing. Good thing I switched cars, because both dowels were about to fall out. Glue new ones in that evening and everything way fine until the elevator ripped off in a high speed dive.

Sung
Old 06-30-2002, 09:00 PM
iflyrc24

Rojeck
My wing dowels didn't come unglued. The left one broke in half about 1/4" in the leading edge. I didn't think the dowels that were supplied were all that good and now I know.

DEG
Old 07-27-2002, 09:44 PM
slimjim

Default More ultra stick issues

I also have the problem with the left wing and have contacted horizon about a new left wing. My question is this, I am going to put a saito 100 on it and want to know if I shoult reinforce the firewall.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:36 AM
Rojeck

Always reinforce the firewalls, if nothing else put some epoxy. I have lost two ARFs because the firewall came off during flight. I had a YS 91 on mine and am in the process of replacing the one I lost. Placed triangle stock on all sides of the firewall.

Sung
Old 08-21-2002, 10:17 PM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Default Gator....

Hey just read your post. Noticed you mentioned that you have lot's of throw on you elev because of the crow assignment to the elev D/R switch. I'm assuming you have the 8U? You know you can assign your elev D/R to another switch......I assign all my D/R's to the ail switch....

Just FYI. You may or may not already know this....

Pug
Old 09-21-2002, 03:50 AM
Jayebird
My Feedback: (1)

Gator, Thanks for the pix and ideas. I am glad there are people in the world like you to solve my problems. I use a Super Tigre .61 on mine and still had to move the battery back to be at the recomended CG. Manual says 4 1/8" where do you suggest?
Old 09-21-2002, 07:11 PM
TERMAGATOR
My Feedback: (2)

I sold my stik a couple months ago. I had the battery pac behind the servo tray...Good luck...G
Old 09-21-2002, 08:46 PM
Ernie Misner

I have read elsewhere that the supplied CA hinges from H9 are the type with the "glue slot" in the middle of them and that they WILL fail sooner or later. Maybe Sig Easy Hinges without the slot is the answer for the bigger planes.

Ernie
Old 09-21-2002, 10:12 PM
TERMAGATOR

there are some hinges that have a slot that are great hinges, but the H9 hinges are not the ones. the ones that are slot'd that are good are made by "Sonic Tronic" nifty hinge #125. I love these hinges. Tower sells them.

But throw away the H9 hinges
....Gator
Old 10-11-2002, 02:18 AM
sharkey

Has any one had issues with interference due too servo extensions in the wings.On my 2nd flight lost control twice 4 two or three seconds due too somekind of interference.It has been suggested that it may have come from the extensions.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:42 PM
Jayebird
My Feedback: (1)

I have not heard of anything like that. Did you do a range check? By the way, anybody that was wondering, the OS 91 fx is the perfect engine for the US 60. Had a 61 but the 91 brought it to life. Still cant get it to knife edge.
J.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:15 PM
Rojeck

I have heard that extra long extensions can act like antennas and carry a signal back to the receiver and cause problems. I have not experience this on an US and I have had all three, the 40, 60 and 120, and must have logged close a 100 hours or more of flight time on them. Did the glitches happen in the same spot when you were flying or were they more random when they occurred? Have you checked to see all metal fittings and rods were tight and not vibrating during flight? I guess if you cannot isolate it, you can try and use the shortest extension possible or use a choke on the extensions.

Good luck
Sung
Old 11-06-2002, 07:10 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

I know this thread has some age on it, but I am curious. To termagator and others that have sold their Sticks, why did you get rid of them? I am somewhat considering this airplane as a home for a Saito 100 that I have.

BTW, it is about the ugliest covering scheme I have ever seen. It better fly great.

-Cheech
Old 11-06-2002, 07:27 PM
P-51B

Originally posted by Cheech
I know this thread has some age on it, but I am curious. To termagator and others that have sold their Sticks, why did you get rid of them? I am somewhat considering this airplane as a home for a Saito 100 that I have.

BTW, it is about the ugliest covering scheme I have ever seen. It better fly great.

-Cheech
1. It flys o.k., not really my style.

2. I got rid of mine because the landing gear kept coming off. I mean the landing gear and bottom kept ripping off. The wood is VERY soft in this plane. Every time I reinforced the gear area, the wood ripped at the end of the patch. It was either build a whole new bottom, or sell it. I sold it. Also, I had the same problem with the wing dowels coming loose. In my case, it was due to the very soft wood. The glue was still there, but the wood tore around it. Fortunately I found that problem on the ground.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:41 PM
TERMAGATOR

I got rid of mine because it was time to rotate the crops. I like the way it flew. The crow functions was the coolest , to come screaming straight down at the ground and then flair and let the crow slow it up. I had a saito gk 91 on mine, and I'm not a big 4 stroke guy so that was some of my decision too. Its a great plane. I think one of these with a YS 91 would be a KILLER....Gator
Old 11-06-2002, 07:57 PM
sharkey

Cheech, This plane is great if you do the mods too it as you build.I replaced the dowels with some oak ones from Lowes.I reinforced the landing gear block with glass & thinned epoxy before I ever flew it. Be prepared too move the ELE. & RUDD. servos aft so you don't add allot of dead weight.I have around 12 flights on mine and I really like the way it flys.I think the covering job looks allot better in person than in a picture.Feel free too e-mail me if you have any other questions. SHARK
Old 12-14-2002, 02:05 AM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

I am having the same problem , I would love to hear how you solved it . I am reluctant to put that much weight in the tail for the torque moment it will create. My engine is a Magnum90 FS.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:26 AM
Chuckr53-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Do you guys have recommendations for failsafe settings on the US60?
Old 01-14-2003, 01:28 AM
Chuckr53-RCU

Termagator...I just finished putting my US60 together. I used your pics for the servo install in the tail section, and added strut wires. I also used your suggestion on a YS91FZ. Came out nose heavy...had to add three oz to get the CG. I used sub-C battery pack instead of lead. Can't wait to give it a try!
Old 01-14-2003, 02:02 AM
TERMAGATOR

Yeah Chuckr , I saw your pics...I think you might have made an exta hatch or 2 on yours, I like what you did.... can you not move the airborne pack any further back to keep from adding the weight?
I kinda miss my 6o stik sometimes, My buddy had one at the same time I did and we use't to do some formation flying...His had a Saito 100 on it and would leave mine in the dust...I think yours will be a rocket with the YS 91.....Gator
Old 01-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Chuckr53-RCU

Termagator...it was either hang 2 oz on the bottom of the stab, or 3 inside the fuse. I decided to live with the 3 inside the fuse.

Anyway, I think you started something, cause I've seen a number of pics of other UltraSticks with your servo mounting idea. I bet it saved at least 2 times the elevator and rudder servo weight in added lead to balance! Good idea!
Old 01-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Bebop-stick

Default prop test

I have a Ultra Stick 60size. I have a OS91 4 stroke on it and was wondering what the best prop for hovering would be.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:16 PM
baddog59

Bebop.....I'm also putting a OS 91 4 stroke in my US-60. I was wondering how you hooked up your throttle linkage? Maybe someone could post a pic of how they did it.
Thanks
Dave
Old 01-19-2003, 12:20 AM
Gbee

I have an OS 91 Surpass II in my UStick. I've been flying it since April. The best prop, in my opinion, for hovering is an APC 15 x 4W.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.