Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sport plane recommendation

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sport plane recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 04:21 PM
lr172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport plane recommendation

I am looking for a good all around sport plane recommendation. I want something that is relatively fast, with good handling and performance characteristics and decent speed. I want something that can handle basic aerobatics as well as deliver good honest performance and speed along with a nice look. I am considering the Great Planes P-51 (.40 Kit) that is based on the old Ultra Sport wing and the new GP Ultra Sport Plus. The general consensus here is that these are good sport wing designs. I was also possibly considering the Kyosho or WM P-51 if I wanted to go the ARF route.

I have just built an Extra 300 and also have a Somethin Extra. I want to round out the collection with a good all around sport plane. Thanks for your recommendations.

Larry
Old 01-16-2004, 04:34 PM
epeltz

Default RE: Sport plane recommendation

Larry,

Have you checked into the GP Super Sportster? It is a fast nice plane. I have the .40 size arf and been flying it for over two years. It lands and takes off nicely. Let me know if you have any ? becasue I might be able to help. (with the arf that is)

Ed
Old 01-16-2004, 05:25 PM
flyboy1950

Check out the World Models Rambler 45. It's a real cute low wing with retracts for $159! About 65 inch wing. I have a Magnum 80 Four stoke in it. I fly off grass so I eliminated the retracts (actually, I just bent the retract arm so it would not retract) added wheelpants and wow. It's a stable, fast flyer that can do just about anything. I finally stripped it and recovered it in my own sport color scheme. I fly mostly larger scale. This is my fun plane! Flyboy1950
Old 01-16-2004, 05:36 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

The World Models T-34 is also a great flying, fun sport plane.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:16 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

For relaxing all around sport flying I'll give two suggestions. Super Sportster from Great Planes and the Tiger 2 from Goldburg. The SS will knife edge and the Tiger wont. Other than that they are very close.

David
Old 01-16-2004, 06:36 PM
autoguns

In a 40 size plane I must agree...The great planes super sportster is a great sport plane I have 3 .....If you are looking at the p-51.. The kyosho is a much nicer kit ...The GP P-51 has a foam composite skin... yuck! ...and a plastic multi peice cowling....If your LHS has both arf kits look at both and you will see what I am talking about.....If you are looking at a 60 size then look at the GP shoestring I have 3 of these also.... I used a YS 110fz in one. It is VERY FAST and will do all the moves, a good sport plane can do...And looks very angry ...LOL Hope you find what you are looking for Have fun and good luck....JW
Old 01-16-2004, 11:57 PM
DownSideUp

And I will add the Super Sportster as well. That thing flat spins like no other plane I've ever had. The only thing I don't like is the landing gear in the wing, it's weak. I reinforced it and I loved that plane. Finally died when I got in a flat spin that it wouldn't come out of. Awesome plane.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:08 AM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

It would really depended on what size of engine you want to go with.
For a 46 size airplane I would suggest a WM T-34 or a Tower Voyager both are about the same size and wieght. I have flown both and loved each one.
For a sixty size airplane I would recomend a Dragon Lady 60 arf with a saito 100 engine. This is another nice flying airplane and will do most aerobatics.
John
Old 01-17-2004, 02:22 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H9 T-34, GP Mustang or the Seagull PC-9

good luck