Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World models Sky Raider...Any good?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World models Sky Raider...Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 04:38 PM
sky raider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World models Sky Raider...Any good?

Hey,

Building my first sky raider mach II. This is also my first gas plane, I have been flying electrics for a while. The question I have is about the fuel tank install. What do I use to fill in the excess space around the fuel tank? Thanx for your help
Old 03-09-2004, 07:54 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually use 1/4" latex foam rubber. I've also seen guys use strofoam. The main idea is to mount the tank so it doesn't jiggle or bounce which causes foaming of the fuel.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:13 PM
AMB

Balance <<>> rather than add lead put the battery under the tank less than a half
oz to rear to balance I think on my mach one the battery may wind up little under the servo tray
for balance (now a tail dragger)
Old 03-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Dk4stroke
My Feedback: (3)

Just make sure you wrap enough foam rubber to achieve a snug fit. Secure foam rubber to tank with rubber bands or strapping tape.

Styro is not the best choice.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:52 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Dk4stroke,
I agree we usually use latex foam. However I've also seen many other substitutes used successfully. The main point is to fix the tank securely to the airframe, and to prevent damage to the tank caused by vibration rubbing a hole in it. I've seen small bubble wrap, sponge rubber and styrofoam cut so that it wedged the tank securely all used and none of the engines had bubbles in the fuel lines which is what we are trying to prevent.
John
Old 04-02-2004, 06:02 PM
cafplanekid
My Feedback: (1)

Hi. Anybody know what the empty weight for the low-wing Sky Raider is? I mean out-of-the box with no electronics or fuel tank added. A break down of the weights of each main part would be especially helpfull, but probably too much to ask. Thanks
Jonathan
Old 04-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Kansas Twister

ORIGINAL: cafplanekid

Hi. Anybody know what the empty weight for the low-wing Sky Raider is? I mean out-of-the box with no electronics or fuel tank added. A break down of the weights of each main part would be especially helpfull, but probably too much to ask. Thanks
Jonathan
Hi Jonathon-

I didn't think to weigh the Mach II before assembly. I can tell you that mine, fully assembled with radio, servos, and TT Pro .40 weighed in at 4 lbs. 12 ozs.

We clocked my plane last week with a radar gun on a pylon course at a high speed of 98 mph with a 9x7 APC prop, it should average around 88-92 mph on the full course, not bad....
Old 06-09-2004, 11:00 AM
nosburn

Hey Guys,

I purchased a Mach-II yesterday so hopefully it will arrive before the weekend. My question is: Can I use a .25 engine in this plane to get started? I have a ASP .46 on order, but this is my first low wing plane, and I want to make sure I don't get too agressive and crunch it on my first day. I'm planing on leaving the .46 for whan I get a little more comfortable with the plane.

What are the flight characteristics for this plane? I've heard that it's a breeze to fly, even heard of some people using it as a trainer!?! Nobody at my club has one of these planes, so I thought I'd ask around to see what you guys have experienced so far.

Cheers!

Nick
Old 06-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Kansas Twister

Default Very good airplane!

ORIGINAL: nosburn

Hey Guys,

I purchased a Mach-II yesterday so hopefully it will arrive before the weekend. My question is: Can I use a .25 engine in this plane to get started? I have a ASP .46 on order, but this is my first low wing plane, and I want to make sure I don't get too agressive and crunch it on my first day. I'm planing on leaving the .46 for whan I get a little more comfortable with the plane.

What are the flight characteristics for this plane? I've heard that it's a breeze to fly, even heard of some people using it as a trainer!?! Nobody at my club has one of these planes, so I thought I'd ask around to see what you guys have experienced so far.

Cheers!

Nick
A strong .25 should get you going OK, but I would leave the .46 on it and take it easy for a while. The elevator is pretty sensitive, so I would cut down the recommended throw almost in half to begin with.

The plane flies great, and would be a wonderful low-wing trainer; but I wouldn't recommend it for the first time flyer. We are racing these planes, and they are quite fast with a ball-bearing .46 (about 95-100 MPH). I have had two mid-airs during racing, and one time the wing folded up on a full speed pylon turn, so be liberal with the epoxy on joining the wing halves!

Anyway, you can't beat this plane for the money; happy flying!
Old 06-22-2004, 08:33 AM
nosburn

Default RE: Very good airplane!

I finished my skyraider on sunday night - It was pretty much a breeze to put together. The only major modification I made was to add fiber glass mesh reinforcement and epoxy to the centre of the wing assembly. I didn't trust looks of the wing joint after epoxying it together. I also epoxied the tail assembly. I installed a new ASP .46 Engine in it. (Great engine so far).

I took out the mach II to the feild last night, and let one of out instructors take her up for her maiden flight. She took off beautifully, and we had her trimmed up with just a few clicks here and there. I haven't flown for over 12 years, but when I took over the controls it all came back to me right away. We had to bring her down rather quickly as the control throws were far too heavy for a returning pilot like myslef. I ended up giving the ailierons and the elevator a 50% dual rate. After that, she seemed to be a little cooler. This is a smooth flyer, and quite stable for a low winger. I had a blast doing simple manoevers like touch & goes and a few rolls here and there. I ran out of fuel and dithced her in the tall grass on my 3rd flight. She didn't sustain any damage whatsoever.

A real nice aircraft for the price. I'd recommend picking up one of these kits if you see one. Theyare available in Canada from www.goldscallop.com for about $129.99

Nick Osburn
Old 06-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Dk4stroke
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Very good airplane!

I got mine at Airbornemodels.com for $69 US. With the extra savings I purchased a MACs Tuned pipe and slapped it on a 46 Thunder Tiger Pro.
This plane screams.