Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Seagull models >

Seagull models

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull models

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull models

I just bought and have started a Seagull models Spacewalker ll. I am sure glad that this is not my first model! It is acually my eighth. Had it been my first I would have never been able to complete a flying model. The instructions seem to have been written and then translated, and something was lost in the translation. When I bought this model it said that up to a 70 four stroke would work well. It will after several major modifications. 5 and 5/8 from the fire wall to the thrust washer would work well if you were installing a DA 50 or something, but any recomended engine just can't hang out that far with the supplied frame and cowel. The instructions for mounting the wing and horizontal stablizer would lead you to believe that you do not need to square things up with the fuse or with each other. There is no mention of that at all. Of course I was really dismayed that I had to install a COW around my engine! I would have had to hang a truck on the tail to get a CG balance!

Having said all that, the air frame and covering are of good to great quality. I think once I get it all put together, it will be a good looking and fun flying model.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:28 PM

Default RE: Seagull models

Hey,

I am putting together to same ARF, I sure do understand what you talking about. Very confusing and they need to learn to spell.

Anyway.. I need some help man.

On page 10 it says to use 4 x15mm machine screws to mount the engine to the plates. I am totally confused here because those are the bolts I used to mount the plates to the mounts.

What do you use to mount the engine to the plates? I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Wings
Old 04-03-2004, 10:49 PM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two of these airplanes-I have dumb thumb them both-and repaired and in the air again-just to yet you know these airplanes need the higher rate on the elevator-low rate throws are ok but the higher rate on the elevator relieves the stress on your heart-the first one I crashed when doing slow rolls at low level and it fell out and hit the pavement the second one was built like the first one but I put a 40 LA in it-the first has a magnum 52xls-needless to say CG was never checked and having that powerhouse 40 LA upfront was not a pretty sight-it flew like a drunk elephant and accomplished a 1/2 spin 40 feet up -but the first one I have flown alot-for the price they are well built and nice covering and fiberglass work-the instructions suck and the wheel pant installation per directions have alot to be desired-I put the SIG wheel pant hangers on the second one and they lasted just fine thru the crash
Old 04-03-2004, 10:52 PM

Do you remember how the engine was mounted? Help me out dude, I am stumped
Old 04-04-2004, 10:41 AM
My Feedback: (2)

The best fix is to go to the hardware store and get some 4-40 Allen screws and locknuts,washers,etc. Drill all the way thru and use them. Some stores have all the metric screws also. As an added hint Lowe's also sells blind nuts in their specialty fastener dept. I am lucky because we have a complete selection of metric screws at work. I am able to use metric just as easy as SAE. Nothing says you have to use what came with the plane. Doesn't take much to hold a small motor on. Only things we can't change are the laws of physics! ;-)
Old 04-04-2004, 11:07 AM

In answer to the engine mounting, I took my existing engine mount off my model and put it in my used parts bin(5 gal. bucket in my garage) and bought and installed a new mount that holds the engine with bolts. I had to do this because the supplied mount would not fit my OS70 engine that I mounted on the plane. Had I used the existing mount I would have drilled it out and used bolts as ec121 said in the above post.

I have my plane flying now, and it is a good flying model. It flies like a low wing trainer with aerobatic capabilities. Take off is easy with a little rudder control, normal for a taildragger. Make sure the cg is correct and not tailheavy. I added too much tail weight on my third flight, and almost crashed it after having my heart stop. Landing is uneventful with the correct cg. It almost lands itself if you get it set up on a nice final.

Have fun!
Old 04-04-2004, 11:53 AM

Yu velly velcom to Chinese manuel.....ve make good ggood plane...ve hope Yu like... Yu be sooo sooo happy flyin.......no need for hengine mount..jus poxy on engine to firewall. CG correc afterwards......hehehe
Couldn't help myself..... Seagull, Phoenix, World models are all chines models. Very good planes and the workmanship is really improved.....the manual sucks tho. My Phoenix manual just had pictures....no written instructions....hehe go figure.

Happy Phyling....Yu be sooo sooo happy.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:12 AM

I have another dumb question. The hingers are already glued right? Except for the bottom rudder?

I figure they are since they are pinned, but I'd rather ask now than cry when all my control surfaces fall off on the first flight.

Thanks,

Wings
Old 04-05-2004, 06:39 AM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the surfaces are hinged and pinned already as you stated-never had a problem on the hinges-as far as motor mount concerns-I used the mount supplied but I used a pitts muffler and redrilled the motor mount from its 45 position and mounted engine horizontal-I added the third line to the stock fuel tank and installed a fuel clunk on it to be able to defuel it-I did not let the manual trip me up after realizing they were given me a incorrect measurement on engine cowl-I just used a little modeling experience and put it together. not a bad model for the price