Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Taller gear for UltraStick

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Taller gear for UltraStick

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 03:45 AM
AeroSports
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taller gear for UltraStick

does anyone know where I can get one? I want to use a larger prop. I am currently running OS FX-160 with 16x12. I am thinking about going with 18x10.

Wen
Old 06-09-2002, 03:49 AM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

I think the gear is too short too. I haven't done it yet but my design would be to epoxy a nice piece of bass wood in the the slot for the gear and just attach my new bigger aluminum landing gear to that with nylon bolts.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:31 AM
ChinookPilot

TNT makes a taller aluminum gear for this model.

Sam
Old 06-09-2002, 11:19 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased the landing gear from a Hangar 9 CAP at a hobby shop in Houston for my Ultra Stik. Saw it hanging on the wall for $9.95 and could not pass it up.It is considerably taller than trhe one that comes with it.

Vince
Old 06-10-2002, 06:15 PM
AeroSports

hi sam:

thank you for the info. do you have the phone num or url for TNT?

and, do you fly chinooks? CH47 or 46?
Old 06-10-2002, 06:21 PM
OUTCAST

Chinooks? I got to hang out the door from one of them when I was in country, can still smell the hydraulic fluid. Oh by the way Aerosports the TNT gear works well.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:24 PM
AeroSports

hi outcast:

do you know the phone num for TNT?
Old 06-10-2002, 06:49 PM
KidVermin

http://www.tntlandinggear.com/store/...ne_catalog.htm
Old 06-10-2002, 06:53 PM
AeroSports

thanks a lot.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:18 PM
hilleyja

Default TnT Is The Answer

The optimum prop for that OS FX 1.60 is the 18x10 and the TnT landing gear for the 120 Ultra Stick is a perfect choice. I flew my Ultra Stick for a long time with a 16x10 because of the ground clearance. With the TnT landing gear and an 18x10 I was in a whole new ball game.

Email [email protected]
Phone (419) 868-5408
Fax or Mail Your Order.
Fax (419) 868-5409

http://www.tntlandinggear.com/store/...ne_catalog.htm
Old 06-10-2002, 08:52 PM
Baretta92

Default As an interim solution....

How bout larger diameter wheels on the same gear for a quick fix? I don't know how much larger of a prop you are going for but that has worked for me a couple of times....

Baretta92
Old 06-10-2002, 09:11 PM
AeroSports

thanks, baretta92.

I just called tnt and ordered a landing gear. I am already using larger weeles. it is cutting grass with 16-in prop.

I can't wait to try an 18-in prop. I am sure the performance is going to be great.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:12 PM
awat

I use a 18X6 prop on my OS 160. I have tried a number of other prop sizes and by far the 18X6 is the best. Your verticle with the 18X6 will be unlimited.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:23 AM
ChinookPilot

AeroSports,

I see that you have the web addesss for TNT. They offer quality products and I have been highly satisfied with them.

Yes, I few CH-47 Chinooks in Viet Nam (I Corps). I am also qualified in UH-1's, CH-34's, OH-58's, and TH-55's. Hold a Commercial Helicopter and Fixed-Wing FAA license and have recently completed some training in the L-39 Albatross military jet.

The full scale planes are great fun to fly, but I enjoy the R/C models in their own way, just as much, if not more. I get to do some things in R/C that I have or will never be able to do in the full size aircraft. I can also tinker with design modifications, building, and changing power plants without holding an A & P license.

My son flys for Delta Airlines (ASA) and he can't fly an R/C model. I have several thousand hours of helicopter time and I can't fly an R/C helicopter. The point is that an R/C pilot is so well rounded in most aspects of actual flying that they can generally become very good full size pilots fairly easily. On the other hand, full size pilots still have a great deal of difficulty mastering R/C models from a perspective point of view. I know I did!

I respect anyone's flying abilities who has mastered R/C. This a great sport (addiction), isn't it?

Sam

P.S. I am a great Matt Chapman fan--that boy can do it all!
Old 06-11-2002, 03:56 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TNT

I've had custom gear made by TNT and they do a great job.

I used H9 Cap gear on my Ultra Stick/Saito 180 combo, works geat. Not only is the stock U-Stick gear too short but it is also weak.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:33 AM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

I put some Sullivan lite 4" wheels on mine because of the tall grass in the spring.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:50 PM
LOUM

Default taller gear for ultra stik re:aerosports question

Hi,
I have a Ultra Stik running a ST3250 with 18x10 prop. Currently using DuBro 4.50 wheels. no other modifications and it works fine. Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:35 PM
AeroSports

Hi ChinookPilot:

I totally agree with you. I am a single-engine private pilot. I fly both R/C fixed and rotor wings. I took flying lessons 3 years ago, after more than 10 years of r/c flying. I spent almost 10 hours working on landing the cessna 172. the instructor almost gave up on me.

I took him to the flying field one day before we went out for another lesson. I showed him that I could fly aerobatics and land perfectly everytime. he said only if I could fly the 172 like the models: ) I finally soloed after 20 hours of dual, much longer than others and I had expected.

I have been flying with a friend who is a retired airline pilot for the last two years. He was frustrated at the beginning because of numbers of incidences. He said that he had never had any accident in his 33-year of flying. he said he could have saved those landings if he were in the plane.

I admired him of his ability of flying jumbo jets. I impressed him with my ability of flying model planes and helis. we now learning each other's best from each other.

I always want to try a tandem rotors. I have my eyes on the Hirobo one. would you like to share you experiences of flying the ch47, in comparison to conventional helis? we all know the benefit of tandem rotors, but only few here have the experience. if you can explain a little be how they operate, it would be nice.

it may be better we talk about this off this area, since it is tailored to fixed wings. email me [email protected]

AeroSports
Old 06-12-2002, 05:44 PM
AeroSports

Hi Loum:

how much clearance do you have? what kind of surface do you fly off? grass or paved?

I have 4" dubro, the 16" prop clears the grass but hits the ground sometimes on landings. not enough to stop the engine but nicks the prop. I think it is because the soft landing gear. I guess I can add braces to it. but I feel more comfortable with taller gear. so it flexes and absorbes the weight on hard landings.

AeroSports