Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Gp super sportster 40 show us your set up's and motor selection....

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Gp super sportster 40 show us your set up's and motor selection....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 08:44 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gp super sportster 40 show us your set up's and motor selection....

AirGar,
Are you going to use the stock main gear in the wings or a fuselage mounted gear? I fly mine off of asphalt and haven't had any problems with the stock gear, but I've seen others mount a dural type gear in front of the wing.
Retracts, hmmm...
I have a extra wing set for my Sportster, and a set of mechanicals that would probably fit.
Maybe I'll tear the covering off and start the mod...

Jesse
Old 03-06-2004, 09:03 PM
autoguns

Retrack's will be very cool ,Keep us posted on you'r mod....JW
Old 03-06-2004, 09:13 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't really thought about the gear just yet. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
More than likely, I'll stick with the stock as I fly off a dry lake bed. Retracts would be cool, however, they would be a lotta work.

Will post as I progress.

Gary
Old 03-07-2004, 04:20 AM
zetor
My Feedback: (2)

Well my spinner finally came and I installed it. This thing is really nose heavy with the 46fx. I'm going to have to move the battery all the way back. Is the 3 and 1/8" CG too conservative of a figure?
Old 03-07-2004, 10:20 AM
autoguns

if you use a square battery instead of a flat one ,that will help, the CG can be played with ,but 3 3/8" is a good CG to start with, also I used a MACS tuned pipe ,I think it's a little litter then the stock one.....JW
Old 03-07-2004, 04:17 PM
zetor

Wouldn't the 3 & 3/8" require even more tail weight? Did you add any weight? I ordered a square pack. Does anyone have their CG forward of the 3 & 1/8" ? I took my 600ma flat pack out and sat it atop the the fuse in front of the rudder and I'm still a tad nose heavy. I ordered a 1000ma square pack and I think that will do it.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:25 PM
AcroJo
My Feedback: (1)

Go for a 5 cell 1700 or more. No weights, fly all day on a single charge and the servos will zip. Joe
Old 03-07-2004, 04:42 PM
autoguns

My mistake ,It was a typeo,...I ment 3-1/8" is a good CG to start with.....I did add 1/2oz with the stock muffler ,I also didn't use a sq batt pack....I think the sq pack will help ya ...also you may want to check the weight of the after market pipe's ....you are balanceing it inverted arent you??? .....JW
ORIGINAL: zetor

Wouldn't the 3 & 3/8" require even more tail weight? Did you add any weight? I ordered a square pack. Does anyone have their CG forward of the 3 & 1/8" ? I took my 600ma flat pack out and sat it atop the the fuse in front of the rudder and I'm still a tad nose heavy. I ordered a 1000ma square pack and I think that will do it.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:19 PM
outa control
My Feedback: (22)

My super sportster was purchased from a member here at RCU in excellent condition till I got a hold of it. I can't tell you how it was constructed but this ARF has an OS .46FX engine with stock muffler running on 15% fuel, Futaba T6XAS, 4 S3004 servos, 11x6 APC prop, and aluminum spinner. The wheel pants are removed because I fly off of a grass field. Some people at our field have had trouble with the wheel pants breaking through the wing on hard landings also. No matter how soft the landing I always have to bend one of the wheels forward a little bit to keep it even with the other. That's my only big complaint about this plane. I also noticed on windy days the plane would dig in while facing downwind so I bent the landing gear forward and replaced the stock wheels with 3-inch wheels. This seems to work a little better for me. Maybe someday I'll take those wheels off and place regular aluminum gear on the fuselage but for now everything works fine so why change it. All throws are set for low rates for now according to the manual. The plane is a little bit nose heavy but it is very fast with the motor wide open. You’re going to love this plane when it is finished. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69192.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	108842  
Old 03-07-2004, 06:29 PM
autoguns

I like them allot, and alway's plan on having one or two in the hanger, The Durel style landing gear is a good mod ,that will eliminate the problem's you are having with the stock gear.....JW
Old 03-07-2004, 08:37 PM
whstlngdeath

zetor,
I'm currently running two 4-cell packs in my Sportster, and I mounted them behind the servos.
I've been experimenting with different CG locations, and I have added about 1 oz of weight to the tail to move the CG back to 3 5/8". I've been doing this to see how flat I can make it spin.
So far, it still spins nose-low, but recovers nicely when I let go of the sticks. That's about as far back as I'll move the CG, but anywhere within the recommended range is good on this bird.

Jesse

Name:	Mk27573.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	108906  
Old 03-08-2004, 12:27 AM
SkyDude

What is the second battery pack for?
Old 03-08-2004, 12:48 AM
autoguns

I just ordered a hydromax 4.8v 2000mah battery for all my plane's, so I can fly all day....JW
Old 03-08-2004, 01:06 AM
zetor

What is the weight of that batt? Is it Nimh?
Old 03-08-2004, 01:24 AM
autoguns

yes it is a NiMH battery pack , it's weight is 135g....JW
Old 03-08-2004, 07:07 PM
whstlngdeath

SkyDude,
I lost a plane last year when a cell fried in my 4.8v battery pack. Since then, I use two packs connected through seperate switches to the receiver as backup. If one of the packs goes bad, the second pack keeps it going. One of them is connected to the standard battery port on the receiver, and the other to any open port. The receiver sees the packs in parallel, so the voltage stays the same, 4.8v, but I get double the mah capacity. I can fly a long time without recharging, and with the benefit of a safety margin if a pack decides to go south, or a switch fails.

Jesse
Old 03-08-2004, 07:46 PM
outa control
My Feedback: (22)

I'll try the Dural gear out. Thanks for the tip.

ORIGINAL: autoguns

I like them allot, and alway's plan on having one or two in the hanger, The Durel style landing gear is a good mod ,that will eliminate the problem's you are having with the stock gear.....JW
Old 03-08-2004, 09:57 PM
SkyDude

Ah... I thought it was something like that. Nice to have the backup, just in case...
Old 03-09-2004, 12:15 AM
K-5054

Default RE: RE: Gp super sportster 40 show us your set up's and motor selection....

some very nice sportsters there guys. i have just test flowen my new one (my 5th gp super sportster) .all my sportsters have been scratch built. after crashing my 4th 1 i decided to change it a lil bit my new 1 has a magnum61. i have only had 3 flights with it as last weekend was blowing a gale here in perth but i will get some pics of it soon
Old 03-09-2004, 01:05 AM
autoguns

Default RE: RE: Gp super sportster 40 show us your set up's and motor selection....

Please ,I can't wait to see the pic's... Iv'e been gathering part's for #3, I have a os 61fx with a mac's pipe that I plan on installing in#3, ....I also have a os 91fx ,....they are the same physical size ...I my have to think about this...LOL...If I use the 91 I can see the endless list of mod 's that will have to be done....Duel aileron servo's, carbon fiber rod in the wing ,elevator ,and rudder servo's mounted aft , Dural landing gear...Just to mention a few [:-]...I will post a step by step build........JW
Old 03-09-2004, 01:25 AM
K-5054

dont know if ya would need a 91 in it hehe as mine was hovering at just under 1/2 revs. the power to waight with a 91 would be a killer. i havnt done many mods to mine basides moving the undercarage to just b4 the wings and the wings are foam core .
Old 03-09-2004, 01:31 AM
autoguns

I my have to just to keep up with this pack of SS flyer's...[sm=lol.gif]...JW
Old 03-10-2004, 11:58 PM
autoguns

First flieght on ski's .......What a blast.....JW

Name:	Qo40765.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	110153  
Old 03-11-2004, 09:54 AM
zetor

How does the SS compare to the four star? I've never flown a low wing before. I have an ultra stick right now. I saw a 4 star 60 fly for the first time yesterday and it seemed to land very slow. No one at my field has a SS that I know of. I talked to the guy flying it and he said it wasn't a fast plane and from what I saw it wasn't. I assumed the SS and the 4 star were very similar. He did have a 4 stroke saito 100 which I'm sure wouldn't get the plane up to it's potential speed. I looked at it and the tail and horizontal stab were not solid like the SS. The leading edge of the wing wasn't sheeted solid on top either as opposed to the SS. Mine is ready to go as soon as I get the right spinner adapter. Sorry for this being a little off topic.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:23 AM
zetor

It's done. No lead anywhere. I cut a hatch and put a square 1100ma battery in the tail section. It will fly today.

Name:	Pn37322.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	110626  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.