Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Gp super sportster 40 show us your set up's and motor selection....

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Gp super sportster 40 show us your set up's and motor selection....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:49 PM
autoguns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gp super sportster 40 show us your set up's and motor selection....

Try looking on Tower Hobbys in the airplane accessory section under fixed landing gear, there is allot of different styles to choose from, I would measure the width of the fuse to find one that will fit ....as far as the oil /fuel in the engine bay I would check the stopper in the tank ,The one that come's with the GP stock tank is a piece of crap.....JW
ORIGINAL: Pilotx1

Can someone post some pics of the fuse mounted aluminum gear and details about reinforcing the mount location. I fly off of a grass field with a asphalt runway area but I dont feel comfortable landing on it because its kinda small. I took the SS out for its maiden this past friday and without thinking left the wheel pants on the gear. It flew really well and on landing I caught the pants on the fairly rough ground and put one thru the bottom covering and cracked em both up. after patching up the covering I took the plane out again on saturday and was done after 3 flights each ending with the SS sliding to a stop on its spinner. After the third flight I was checking the plane over adn found that the gear that had the wheel pant thru the wing had about 1.5 inches of play in it, I guess the gear block broke loose. One of the guys at the field suggested that I bend the mains so that the axle is even with the LE but with the gear block loose Id rather just mount the aluminum gear as was mentioned here and cover over the stock mount slots. On another note, I seem to be getting a good amount of oil spray or leaked fuel gathering in the engine compartment. Has anyone else noticed this and would possibly installing a small drain hole with something like a servo grommet hat be a good idea or even effective?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Pilotx1

what about reinforcing the new gear mount area? any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2004, 09:24 PM
autoguns

Once you find the gear that you want ,plane it in front of the former at the leading edge of the wing ,tape it into place then measure it to be sure it's square....then drill small hole's were the blind nut's will go ...once you do this you need to be sure the blind nut's will clear the former ....then cut a piece of plywood to fit inside the fuse, then mark the hole's and drill place the blind nut's in the holes and draw them in using a 10-32x1/2 or 3/4 capped allen bolt and a washer ,after you do all this then remove the ply with the blind nut's and epoxy the area then place it back into position place the gear on and tighten the bolt's....Hope this help's you ......JW
Old 06-21-2004, 05:01 PM
photoniq

If adding dural style undercarriage to the fuse (personally I think this is the ONLY way to go if you are flying off grass) make sure you reinforce the fuse where you add the undercarriage with some ply. I also added (well the guy who built my artf for me did) some triangular stock where that ply was added to the fuse too. This has worked out really well for me and the plane has survived some truly epic newbie landings
Old 06-22-2004, 07:34 AM
clolson
My Feedback: (7)

This is an older SS40 ARF I bought off ebay and tried to fly off floats. I had a lot of fun medium speed taxiing it around the lake, but never got it airborn. It's back on wheels now and I've built a seaplane which I hope to have better luck with.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70846.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	146136  
Old 07-09-2004, 02:09 AM
SkyDude

Well I finally have my SS flight ready. Yeah it took me forever, but I'm pretty happy with the way she turned out. She didn't come together without a few issues though.

On the ailerons, the control horns were hitting the wing hold downs and it limited their movement to less than 1/2". I had to sand down the wing hold down where they were hitting. That makes me real nervous since it's a super-critical part and needs as much strength as possible. But I couldn't get them to go full throw without it, even after moving the control horn down. I probably only took out about 1/8" so I hope it won't come back to bite me. Time will tell on this one... (knock on wood!)

Before mounting the engine I checked the spinner gap over and over, then it came out almost too close. The real bummer is I was using the cheapo spinner that came with the ARF when I mounted the engine. I got a nicer spinner, but the backplate is actually a mm inside the rest of the spinner, so it won't work unless I put in a spacer, or shave some of the front cowl area off, or remount the engine. I'll stick with the cheapo spinner for now.

Other than that, it seems to be pretty solid. The new OS. 46FX started on the very first flip and seems to run well. She drank a 10oz. tank in rich and barely-rich settings without any problems. Transistion is a little slow, but tolerable. I'll lean the low-needle a little after a few more tanks.

I'm bummed that I didn't have any 11x6 APC props in my prop box. I did have a Master Airscrew Scimitar 11x6 so that's what is on there now. I do have a couple APC 11.5X6 props - has anyone used these on the OS .46FX? I'll try them a bit later once the engine has some time on it.

I'm hoping to get out of work a little early tomorrow for her maiden flight. I hope to come home happy!

Name:	Ig11693.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	151894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52854.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	151895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89795.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	151896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh10568.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	151897  
Old 07-09-2004, 03:47 AM
DragonHeart

Looks great Sky Dude

Keep us informed, im really into large scale warbirds now but i still fly the SS nealry every weekend, u know will what i mean when u first fly her its a dream to fly, fast as hell full throttle i can seem to outrun most of the big planes at our club feild and they can never belive i only have a OS46 LA in their soo the FX will give u extra power...........

As to the problems u had, i had exactly the same, and had to cut away the wing mount soo the alierons could get full movement and again the spinner problem, ive now gone for a Ali Spinner, which is much much better fitting. I will be getting another soon as mines had over 200 flights or soo now and still going strong but not as good looking as urs

Good luck with the first flight, let us know how it went

Name:	Vt56192.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	151914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85993.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	151915  
Old 07-09-2004, 02:53 PM
SkyDude

Thanks DragonHeart! I'll definitely post a post-maiden report.

One more question - I fly off a decently smooth, paved runway. Does the SS have a tendency to nose-over with the stock gear? I remember people saying it's weak, but I forget if they had a lot of nose-overs. My CG is just about spot on 3 1/8" per the manual, but it seemed a little easy to have it pitch forward over the gear.

And yes, I know I sound like a Nervous Mother right now... that's cause I kind of am.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:07 PM
DragonHeart

Nose over are really not a problem, i use the stock gear but i fly off rought grass field, soo ive had to eng up using epoxy in the undercarridge holes to make them secure, as most of the landings before bent the gear.......... but since ive glued them in place its been fine

But i dont use the spats, ive heard too many storys of those going thro the wings........
Old 07-09-2004, 10:46 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

If you fly off of a paved runway, the gear and wheelpants will be fine.......I flew my maiden flight off of a paved runway, and it was perfect. The plane makes great 3 point landings.

Then a week or so later, I flew off of a rough grass field.......nose over on rollout, wheel pant through the wing... [:@] No more wheelpants on my SuperSportster.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:57 AM
SkyDude

She flies and survives!

Well, mostly... The spinner "gap" I had was not quite enough and the spinner had a bit of a meltdown. [X(]

I had just two flights on it, but they were both over 12 minutes and the plane did pretty good. The OS .46FX was not quite dialed in on the first flight and sputtered on the uplines. I leaned out the low end a bit and got it running better on the second flight. The speed was decent, but not mind-blowing. The MA Scimitar 11x6 prop will be replaced with an APC 11x6 when I get a new spinner. I may use the "bandsaw technique" mentioned in this thread to shave off and even up the cowl area. Seems that's the easiest thing to do compared to remounting the engine or adding a spacer behind the spinner backplate.

The spinner melted a bit on the first flight, so was probably way out of balance, but I had to get in another flight (notice I did not say "one more" flight - I learned that lesson already!) I chopped off the remnants and got her back in. With the engine running better she did some very smooth and tight loops, hammerheads, even an ugly attempt at rolling circles. Roll rate was OK, not too fast, but not slow either. I noticed in knife-edge that the right rudder has more authority than the left (duh!). KE with right-rudder actually made it pitch up and roll over. KE with left seemed to track pretty well. Got some dialing-in to do still.

I almost ate it once trying for a knife-edge. The wind was opposite of the normal direction, and I usually do the knifes into the wind, so it was from a different direction for me. Roll right plus right rudder will get your attention pretty quickly! [:-] It wasn't really that close as I realized my mistake and got her wings level and nose pointed up with about 15-20 feet to spare.

Landings were fine, and no real tendency to nose-over on the pavement, just like you guys said. I had a couple semi-bouncy landings, but the gear held up fine during several touch and goes. I also had a couple really ugly attempts at landings and got kind of close to our safety net, but that was just brain-fade piloting as I was trying to play with the rudder to shed some speed. Ground handling is good for a tail-dragger.

My folks showed up before the second flight and Dad brought his video camera. I haven't watched it yet, but I'll try to edit it for highlights and post a link to it in the near future. It may take some time as I'm new to the digital editing/posting routine.

I didn't get any in-flight pics, but did get some before/after pics at the field which was just freshly mowed and looking nice.

BTW - Our annual air show is this weekend. If you are near Morgan Hill, CA, come check it out! It's FREE! We usually get over 500 peeps during this weekend. Details can be found at WWW.SCCMAS.ORG.

Thank you all for your help and information in this thread. It has helped a lot. I look forward to many more happy flights with the SS! I hope you do too!

Name:	Us54771.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	152172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69428.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	152173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd81038.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	152174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56754.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	152175  
Old 08-05-2004, 08:08 PM
SkyDude

Got some inflight pics now. She has 11 flights under her belt so far. The OS .46FX is freeing up and she's a little bullet now.

And she took my flat spin virginity! Yes - I am now able to do flat spins with her. So far, I can only get upright spins to the left. I can't seem to get her to do it to the right, and I haven't triend inverted spins yet. Once I got the hang of it, they started to get flatter. I was in danger of becoming a spectator a couple of times. I'm watching her spin and thinking "Cool", then a little voice in my head said "Don't forget you're the pilot, you need to get out of the spin now!". Luckily she recovers by just letting go of the sticks.

All in all, she's a blast to fly. The speed is very good, rolls are quicker once I increased the aileron throw a bit, and loops can be pretty tight. I did increase the elevators to about 5/8" from the 1/2" high rate. She tends to roll out just a little on hard loops, but I still have more experimenting to do.

Name:	Ig11689.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	160994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12955.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	160995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19744.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	160996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80671.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	160997  
Old 08-05-2004, 08:42 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a Photo of my Super Sportster .40 MKII. It is powered by a Tower Hobbies .46 Pro. Its a real screamer with the Tower .46 on it, but the engine is very touchy, and a bear to keep in tune. When it is right in tune though it pulls the Plane around with super authority, and is a blast to fly. The Plane is Super Stable at Fast and Low Speeds, and being just a touch nose heavy it is a pleasure to land. Handles the wind real well also. Just a sweet little airplane. One of my favorites in my hangar.

Name:	Ca81779.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	161011  
Old 01-23-2005, 11:52 PM
autoguns

Abras,
I thought this thread my help answer some of your questions...JW
Old 01-24-2005, 05:14 AM
Abras
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: autoguns

Abras,
I thought this thread my help answer some of your questions...JW
I had already read it.

I did a big search before deciding to buy the ARF. After I saw that everybody likes the plane, I bought it.

But I knew I would come with some questions and I would like to post pictures and a flight log, so I created the other thread.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:38 PM
stunner

I am just buying a super sportster and I have a super tigre 61 on their, havent flown it yet but is that engine good enough
Old 05-21-2005, 02:13 PM
OnlyNameLeft

Wow spent along time reading what you guys have to say! I have made my decision to buy another SS 40, over a UCD 60. I think it will just be more fun.

So from what i got from reading the posts in here is (1) take the stock landing gear and replace with durel style landing gear, (2) the stock fuel tank sucks so replace it
(3) the stock nose cone is crappy too. wow GP would be happy with there set ehh LOL!!

I would like to set up duel ailerons servos for flaps. Has anyone done this yet? Also since i live like 50 miles from the nearest hobby store can some Veteran please post some pics of the Durel style landing gear installed on the SS40 and if someone has installed the duel servos for flaps.

Thanks Shane

PS. This is a good forum thread
Old 01-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Crash1976

I'd like to say thanks to all the guys who are postiong up all these great pics. When I bought my sportster I looked all over the net for good pics and yours are the best! I too would like to see a picture of these landing gear your talking about. I am still in the framing stage on my sportster. you can view my pics on my clubs website www.flygsw.org go to to the chat forum, kit & scratch builders category and you'll see it. most of y build process is there including the dual aileron/flap servos. I'll post up here too. Any new pics or info I would really like to see, please keep posting up here. Btw, the engine is an OLD rebuilt OS Max .45 with a new sleeve and bearing set, runs pretty strong.

CP

Name:	Ki18035.jpg
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	391443  
Old 01-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Crash1976

Here are the pics of the dual aileron/flap servo mod as I performed it on mine. It's a pretty simple mod especially if you are building your sportster from a kit.

CP

Name:	Vt56728.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	391662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31569.jpg
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	391663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73064.jpg
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	391664  
Old 01-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Crash1976

Also here is what a dural style set of landing gear looks like...

CP
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Crash1976

HEre are the latest pics of my sportster .40. Shes got an old OS .45FSR swinging an 11/5 APC. I ground ran the engine and tested all the servos and radio, everything looks great. Today is the day for her maiden flight. wish me luck! Oh and by the way, you guys like my tuned pipe?

Name:	Ec88067.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	459745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69044.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	459746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38945.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	459747  
Old 05-11-2006, 10:05 AM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Nice job. You will enjoy this plane.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:39 AM
claudbosc

Sorry,but electric conversion???whi motor mounting on my super sporster??