Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Lazy Tiger p 51 and OS 40LA

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Lazy Tiger p 51 and OS 40LA

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 05:03 PM
ghost-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy Tiger p 51 and OS 40LA

Anyone have this plane-engine combo. Just want to know if the LA engine will fit without any mods. I have a new LA that's not busy right now. Thanks :stupid:
Old 06-21-2002, 05:56 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I don't have that combo but I think it would fly great with a 40. Mine has a Saito 50 but started with a Magnum 36. This plane will accomodate a broad range of engines.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:14 PM
kgetch

I fly one with a Thunder Tiger Pro 36 and it has more than enough power - the 40 will be fine...This is a fun plane to fly but it doesn't like a lot of wind
Old 06-21-2002, 09:11 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Was that magnum 36 a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

Do you think a Saito 30 4 stroke at almost 9 oz but with a low hp rating im guessing about .4 hp be too weak?, I only want to go slow on mine, dont need fast speed control flutter on the large control surfaces. The saito does suppose to have have good torque though.

That 40 la I think has 1.2 hp. so if it fits it should be fine but will be heaver than a OS .25 .8 ish hp which I think is aboub 8.5 oz. Id prefer it to be as lite as possible.

Getting an engine for my lazy tiger 51 soon, still deciding between saito 30 with good torque but low hp guessing .3 or .4 hp or OS 25 at .8 ish hp and about 9 0z or OS 32 at 1.2 ish hp and still about 9 oz but pricy at 125 .00 .

Hey, the Lazy tiger p51 say's in instructions say you will need shoe goo or a zap a dap A-Goo but in the assembly it does not say when or where to use it HELP? Where, oh where, do i use it?

Thanks Dennis in Tampa
Old 06-21-2002, 10:01 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

The Magnum 36 is a two stroke. I've seen a Lazy 51 fly with a Saito 30. Not too bad. Vertially no vertical but straight and level was fine. If slow and easy is what you want, go ahead with the Saito 30.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:04 AM
Dennis Tampa FL

Lets' expand/start a Lazy Tiger p 51 info, thread here.

I just bought a lazy p51 and getting ready to assemble it.

I',d like to hear others's comments on the plane.

Like what construction modifications did you make or wish you made and why?

Do you fly on paved or grass, mods needed for grass?

Your engine and props. used and how it performs?

Engines and props.you've seen fly in it, and how they performed?

How slow can you go and how fast can you go, vertical performance, loops, fun manuvers, ect. ?

What can it not do?

Are tail wires needed?

Best servo's for the plane?

Antennea type and how mounted?

What can we do to protect the wing from rubberbands pressure without changing to wing bolts?

How did you chose to attach the cannopy? There has to be a better way? I have read of some in the magizines but need to find the issues ive read with other techiques like little magnets or dowels installed.

The need list says Zap a Dap A-Goo or shoe Goo or equivalent is needed but cant see in directions where and when to use it? Can some one help here????

What do you think of converting the alerions to alerion and flap cofiguration like the H-9 ultrastick 40?

Feel free to add any observations Please, Please.

When mine is build I will review it as I'm remodeling my house It may be a few weeks.

P.S. the lazy Tiger p51 and the modeltech MAGIC will be my 1st planes, I'm going to be the blockhead guy who don't like the typical trainer for a 1st. So I will update you on my success or otherwise :-) Just some FMS practice now and then. :-)

FYI also getting 9CH as I want a Heli, next. Caliber 30, and or Sceadu 50.

Thank's again, Dennis in Tampa
Old 06-22-2002, 04:08 AM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

I have the Lazy Cub, and a 46 LA fits in it fine. I'd have to believe the engine mount is the same. Flight weight is 3.8 pounds including bands. A Master Airscrew 11x4 pulls it nicely. At full bore it is a bit fast and the short tail makes it twitchy. At 1/3 throttle it just putters about. I use standard JR servos. I did change to 3 inch wheels for grass take offs. I ran the antennae inside the tail then out a small hole at the rear. Loops inside are great. Outside ia another story.
Old 06-22-2002, 04:25 AM
bear750
My Feedback: (30)

I've had the Lazy P51 and TT .36 combo for about a year. Running a 10X4, it has plenty of vertical for large loops, etc. It will fly slow and easy, but do not fly in over 5mph of wind, you'll have to power dive to land it and it's just a struggle to control. I cannot get mine to fly inverted, it snaps out every time. I would rate this plane at about a 5 of 10 due to the the misrepresentations. You do have to pay attention to it all the time. The aerobatics are limited. All IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15153_8842.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	9695  
Old 06-22-2002, 11:41 AM
rcdemon61
My Feedback: (7)

I flew my Tiger with a Satio 30 , and a MDS 28. It flew well with the 30, and great with the 28. Did lots of aerobatics, I think it is up to the pilots skills as far as how far this plane will go.. Once you get used to it move the CG back and increase the throws. I could fly inverted low passes, and do multiple vertical snaps, and a few things that don't have a name yet. Could even do some half ***** 3D stuff. It went down flying combat with real combat planes, but not until many cuts. gave it to a Newbie as a second plane. Have fun with it! I flew it off grass, hold full up elevator untill you get some speed up, it will nose over.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:44 AM
rcdemon61
My Feedback: (7)

Dennis, why do you want to destroy these nice planes without learning to fly a trainer first?
Old 06-22-2002, 12:28 PM
ghost-RCU

Dennis, I hope you have an instructor to teach you to fly. I'm one of our club instructors and have yet to see a one day wonder, you know the guy who can fly almost anything and solo his first day out. My experience has been that learning to fly a highly aerobatic plane right out of the box can be done but usually takes a toll on the students confidence and it takes longer to solo. Your choice of helicopters is a good one. I have a Caliber on the way now. I'll let you know what I think of it once I test fly it. Be warned Helicopters are a lot of fun to fly but will drain your wallet big time. one of my students flew airplanes for about 6 months and then started flying Heli's and this seemed to help him alot when it came to foward flight. good luck and if you have questions about airplanes or Helicopters there are a bunch of good people here on RC Universe to help you. See ya
Old 06-23-2002, 01:15 AM
Dennis Tampa FL

I might ask the local trainers/instructors to fly my planes first and work with me on the buddy box.

Will certainly join the local club and ama.

But that local gigantic field walking distance from my house is soooooooo tempting. But not really in a hurry to crash 2 new planes. :-)

Dennis in Tampa

Dennis
Old 06-23-2002, 02:18 AM
ghost-RCU

Get help or you will crash. Don't waste airplanes and possibly hurt yourself. Save yourself some money and put it towards your next airplane or helicopter. I've heard of people taking off, triming out their airplane, flying around and landing, but I have not meet any of these wonder pilots in my 9 years of flying. Good luck and enjoy those airplanes. Keep us informed about your progress.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:43 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Dennis, both of the planes that you have mentioned are NOT beginner planes......they are extremely easy to over-control and bury firewall-deep into the dirt.......try to get a used trainer and fly with an instructor....you can use the engine and radio gear out of the trainer once you've mastered it. Sim or not, if you go it alone you will crash....I speak from experience.....If you're still insistent on learning "lone-wolf", then get a 3 channel park flyer to start on.
Mike