Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Balance, Engine thrust and CG

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Balance, Engine thrust and CG

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 02:28 PM
rfarias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance, Engine thrust and CG

I'm currently flying a Hobbico Extra 300 60 with an O.S. surpass .91 II.

I thought I balanced the plane lateraly adding almost 1oz. to one wing. I've setted the C.G. at 3.75 from the wing leading edge. But the thing is once I get it vertical it tends to drop to the left side a lot. I have this problem alot also in takeoff, have to apply a good amount of right rudder. I did the inside/outside loop test to chech the lateral balance and it drops the left wing.

Is this engine thrust or what the heck is going on??

If it is how much do I need and how do I change it?? My engine is mounted sideways.

I'm preety new to the hobby, so I allready ran out of my options.

PLEASE HELP !!! It gets very frustrating to fly your plane around not knowing what itīs going to do next.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:59 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Balance, Engine thrust and CG

Don't get frustrated. Just take it one step at a time. First, if your plane is doing really bad stuff, you probably have a sloppy and flexible linkage. Check the integrity of your control system first. Second, I believe that your C.G. is too far forward. I fly my 40 size Extra at 4-3/4 back. You should need just a small amount of down to hold inverted. Warning, aft C.G. will increase your control sensitivity. Third, you probably need some right thrust. Holding hard right rudder on take-off is a good indicator. Start by adding 2°. Fourth, I still get a slight corkscrew in my loops. I have started to learn to compensate with rudder or aileron as required. I think if you want F3A precision, you have to fly an F3A airplane. However, you can get pretty close with a properly set-up sport scale aerobatic plane.