Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Cramming a 4 stroke in a twist

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Cramming a 4 stroke in a twist

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 12:00 AM
rockhouse
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cramming a 4 stroke in a twist

Man that engine compartment is tight. I put an OS 70 FS in mine. To do that required opening up the insides of the engine mounts 1/16 to 1/8. No problem. The difficulty comes in when you try to run the throttle linkage. I always use a 4 stroke linkage (a plastic arm that mounts to the motor mount, has a ball link from the servo and a rod going to the carb). This linkage basically reverses the throttle. It works very well & is great for adjustment. The only problem is that there is not enough room to use it. I made a 1/4 inch notch in the end of the left motor mount rail. This allowed enough clearance for the linkage while allowing enough "meat" to mount it to the rail.

Another mod I did was to remove the small blind nuts for the landing gear & replace them with 1/4 blind nuts. This allows me to use nylon wing bolts to attach the landing gear. Hard landing the bolts shear & prevent the bottom of the fuse from ripping out.

Joe,
Southern Engineer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53637.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	131486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71878.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	131487  
Old 05-12-2004, 04:33 AM
Don M.

Default RE: Cramming a 4 stroke in a twist

I put a YS .63 in mine and it fit as "snug as a bug in a rug". I always use a very thin semi - flexible metal rod running inside a antenna tube. I put a Z bend on the end that hooks to the carb and a swivel type connector on the servo. This allows me pull the carb arm right back until it almost touches the firewall. Then if I want to remove the engine I just loosen the set screw at the servo and pull the rod out with the engine. I didn't have to alter or cut a thing with the YS except a hole for the carb adjustments.

I can't believe anyone would have a hard landing with this thing, it is an absolute no brainer to land.

Name:	Ig13270.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	131523  
Old 05-12-2004, 02:19 PM
catspaw

A friend of mine wants to put a Saito .72 in his. With the carb one way, the throttle arm will be buried in the cowl cheek. Flip it around, and its behind the crankcase. No real room he says.

How do you guys with that setup do it?

I'm putting a Saito .65 in mine, looks like it won' t be a problem.

John
Old 05-12-2004, 03:26 PM
wldcwbypilot

If there is enough room to mount the Saito 65 which has a bigger crankcase then the Saito 72 which is a bored out Saito 52. There shouldn't be any trouble mounting the 72, the only thing I would watch for is side torgue on the carburetor. That tends to break the carb mount on the back plate.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Varmintmaster

I got the Saito 72 in mine with the carb. arm facing up and I used the flex rod setup from Sullivan, I also moved the motor forward a bit to clear the carb.. I also changed the main gear to a taller set and taller foam tires as well to accomodate the 14x4w APC prop. 30% Cool Power heli does the job with that motor and prop combo.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Billy Haynes

Varmintmaster, I'm thinking strongly on getting the twist, I finally killed the UnFuntana. I had the .72 in it, & want to put it in a Twist. Can you run a 13x4w prop on the Twist w/o changing the stock landing gear? Thanks, Billy
Old 06-07-2004, 11:45 AM
catspaw

Try a U-bend pushrod. Basically a pushrod that comes out the firewall, past the throtle arm, does a U bend back to the arm. Thats how I did it.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Varmintmaster

Billy, yes you can run a 13x4W using stock gear and the plane will fly just fine but will be a bit fast and too slow it down I went to the 14" prop. Using bigger tires on concrete/paved runways with stock gear would probably be alright but on grass fields taller gear was a must along with slightly taller tires. If you want to hover easier you will want to consider the 14x4W. My Twist is doing great with the 14x4 and well I can say I like it better than the Funtana with the same motor/prop combination, Twist just seems to fit my flying style better. Either plane is a great buy and I recommend either one to people who ask but would point out the flying differences and let them decide. One guy at my field has a Funtana as well but when winds are high he likes to bring out his Twist and do some kite flying with the rest of us.
Have fun, James
Old 06-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Lefte
My Feedback: (1)

Howdy everyone,
I HAVE a Twist and a Saito .72 in it, and I am so happy I bought the .72. I was going to get a 40 and see how it worked, but jumped when I heard how great the power would be. Yes it was a very tight fit for me, I ran the linkage along the right firewall and bent 90 degrees into the carb then 90 again through the linkage. I had to flip the carb so my needle adjuster hangs out of the side. I cut a small opening to allow the high speed throttle to hang out.

If you want pics let me know.

Lefty
Old 06-07-2004, 07:16 PM
rockhouse

the only problem with a U shaped linkage is flex. If you are wanting precise throttle control the 4 stroke linkage is the way to go. It also allows for the easiest throttle linkage adjustment.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Lefte

Where can I find one and what do they look like??

Lefty
Old 06-08-2004, 02:11 AM
rockhouse

Dubro makes them. It consists of an arm that is mounted with a bushing to the forward end of the motor mount. Your throttle linkage attaches to the arm with a ball link. Then a Z-bend linkage runs back to the carb. It includes a screw locking attachment for the carb. They cost about 4 bucks, come in 60 & 90 size, & work great.[img][/img]

Name:	By76306.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	140925  
Old 06-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Lefte

Rockhouse,
one of the problems I faced was the location of the linkage with the Saito .72. Is in the middle right behind he carb so there is no room to go forward then back...

Lefty
Old 06-08-2004, 09:14 PM
RVator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After seeing how Suitcase's 46 FX fit I would just cut the cheeks off and side mount the four stroke. The linkage will be easy to hook up and the exhaust pointed down. Then fuel and fly the crap out of it.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:54 PM
autoguns

my ys 63s fit just fine......I even set my 110 in just for fun ...and it would have been easy to put it in if I wanted to ......see the pics....JW

Name:	Vt56782.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	141243   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44158.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	141244  
Old 06-08-2004, 11:48 PM
rockhouse

Left thumb,
Can you flip the carb over? I know you can on OS. If so that will solve the problem without cutting parts off of the airplane.

Name:	Qo39422.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	141265  
Old 06-09-2004, 10:26 AM
catspaw

one of the problems of the Saito .72 is that they have the pipe between carb and crankcase that is almost straight down (after the bend), and makes for the difficult throttle arm placement. My Saito .65 has a twist in this pipe, which allows the carb to be pretty much in the middle of the crankase with plenty of clearance for the throttle arm.

John