Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Superstar CG

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hobbico Superstar CG

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Mxer82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Superstar CG

So they say 4 5/32" from the leading edge. Well with an os40la my plane is WAY nose heavy! Is this normal? About how much lead are you guys putting in the tails? Thanks'
Tim
Old 06-04-2004, 11:45 PM
FATBOY
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Hobbico Superstar CG

What's the cg you have now...if its 1/2"-1" inch off don't worry to much, this a trainer and its will only keep you out of trouble. If more, get within 1/2" -1" and you'll be fine. Check the lateral balance too. Theres a forum for beginners if you wish to visit. Good luck
Old 06-08-2004, 07:18 PM
jrpnde

It is better to have a trainer heavier toward the nose than tail heavy. I can't remember the exact CG measurement when I first assembled this plane according to the instructions that came with it, but seemed it was way too nose heavy at 4 5/32" from the leading edge. If you go to the Hobbico website and look for the info/manual for that plane you will find that the CG is different. Seems like 3 5/8" was what is really recommended. I balanced the plane to that point. It was still slightly nose heavy which is what you want. Seems there is an contradiction in their recommended CG and what actually comes with the plane.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fly the plane a few times at the suggested C/G. If it wants to land really fast, and sinks nose down like a winged piano with the power off, it may very well be nose heavy.

Most of the manufacturers provide a suggested C/G that is very conservative towards the nose heavy side. This just about assures that the plane will be stable enough for anybody. But sometimes they are just a little too stable.

Again, fly it and see what the plane is all about. If it just feels "wrong" and is difficult and fast to land, experiment a little by moving the C/G aft a couple of millimeters at a time. When the controls start getting light, move it forward again a couple of millimeters and leave it alone. Adjust the C/G by re-locating the flight battery before you start adding extra weight.