Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Epic R/C back as Vector Flight

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Epic R/C back as Vector Flight

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 08:49 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epic R/C back as Vector Flight

Epic R/C is back as Vector Flight. Their full line is available along with short kits. See at www.vectorflight.com
Old 07-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

There products are very well made. A little extra glue is needed but other than that, no problems were experenced by me with their 60 size extra.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:15 AM
flatspins

I just ordered one of their new Sukhoi Kwikkits. I'll keep you guys posted. The customer service so far has been exceptional, my questions were answered with emails in less than an hour. If their new company has the quality of the old one, i'm sure i'll be pleased.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:10 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

hey flatspins:

I won't tell that new bride of yours that you bought a plane. It would make me happy if you finished the one in the garage before you started the sukhoi!!!!

guess who?
Old 08-16-2002, 11:11 AM
radfly

Default So, was you Sukhoi a POS like mine?

Flatspins, my Sukhoi ARF came out 9 pounds 3 ozs with a little Magnum .91 4 stroke on it.

The published weight was 7.5 lbs.

Also, the paint on the plastic tail fairing pulled off with the tape I used to temporarily secure it during gluing. The thing wasn't even primed.

The plastic bellypan could not be contoured to shape, and looks terrible.

The plastic cowl was painted in what appears to be an unfinished condition, with the seams clearly visible from 5 feet away.

I have absolutely nothing good to say about this plane, and with the super high wing loading, may just remove my equipment and trash the thing.

Other things:
The wing is not sheeted, it is super heavy foam directly covered with stick-on film. The fuse is balsa and would pass as acceptable, but uses the same cheezy covering.

The firewall is nice and thick, but does not have built-in right thrust. The default holes for the enclosed mount are aligned direct center, which means if you add right and down thrust, your engine will not be centered exiting the cowl. The manufacturer does not publish a reccomended right and down thrust, probably because they have never flew the thing.

Thr publisher does not publish throws for any control surface, same reason as above.

So, please post your experience with this tank.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:25 PM
Calflyer

Default Vectorflihgt Sukhoi

I finished and flew this airplane a few weeks ago and I must say it is one of the best built airplanes I have seen at any price. True there are some things which can be improved, the paint on the plastic parts being one, but other than that the overall construction is of very high quality. Mine came with a one piece molded cowl so I am not sure if they have changed the cowl design but it certainly looks great with no visible seams. The only improvement on the cowl would be exhaust louvers. But it sure is light and tough, not the heavy fiberglass most of us are used to.
The fuselage is made from laser cut parts and seem to use excellent materials and the fit is great, so is the gluing. I have not seen a comparable design so far. After countless flights it seems sturdy and tough. The wing is somewhat like the old EZ airplanes used to be, solid foam covered with a fuelproofing surface layer and decals. It is a little heavier than the typical balsa and monokote wings but it flies better for the same reason full scale airplanes are no longer covered with fabrics. And it came already joined at the center ready to fly.
My Sukhoi weighs a tad over 8lbs with a YS 91 and it pulls this airplane almost unlimited vertically. And sure it slows down considerably, but like all aerobatic airplanes, you shouldnt be flying it like a cessna, you need to keep the power on up even during landings or you will stall the wing. The airplane flies great and does every manuever in the book and then some. Great job!
Old 08-30-2002, 09:46 PM
Geistware

I still have a prototype of there 60 size extra before they improved the firewall. That is the only problem. Replace it and it is flyable. It may require one aileron but I am not sure. If anyone is interested, I could let it go for $50 shipped!
Old 08-31-2002, 12:10 AM
radfly

Default Glad your happy

Calflyer-, I would have saved mine for you, just in case you crashed. But, I threw it away, cause it was the most non-flyable plane I have ever owned. Next time, I will bolt an engine on an oven and fly that.

Different strokes, I guess.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:16 AM
Geistware

Default Re: Glad your happy

What was wrong with it?
Which one did you order?

Originally posted by radfly
Calflyer-, I would have saved mine for you, just in case you crashed. But, I threw it away, cause it was the most non-flyable plane I have ever owned. Next time, I will bolt an engine on an oven and fly that.

Different strokes, I guess.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:16 AM
Calflyer

Radfly, different strokes or not but I am going to give credit where it is due, at least I am not going to call the only laser cut fuselage I have seen just acceptable!! In fact there is nothing like it as far as I have seen. The materials are top notch, the frame is super strong and rigid, and the covering has not shown a wrinkle yet, unlike the 'cotes. I sure am happy the trim is clean and understated, not cheezy as are so many ones out there.

The wing has a hard skin over foam, and not covered directly with film as you mention. This wing flies fast and flutterfree as any I have seen. And it is tough.

Mine is still flying beautifully thank you, and in fact a couple other members in our club have ordered it too.