Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Super Kraft GS300 Good? Engine?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Super Kraft GS300 Good? Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 12:51 PM
ksflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Kraft GS300 Good? Engine?

Hello all,

I am currently waiting on the delivery of a SuperKraft GS300. I saw a review in May 2002 MAN about this plane. It seemed to be a good review. They ran it with a MDS .78 and after looking at the weight of this engine and other similar ones, I'm almost inclined to put a Magnum 1.08 on it. Anyone run this engine or combination? What do you have on your GS300?

Thanks,
Old 07-11-2002, 05:05 PM
Crash King
My Feedback: (24)

Default Kange GS-300

I have a Kange GS-300 and an YS91AC. I flew it for the first time yesterday. The previous owner had an OS 91 Surpass on her. I would have thought that a 91AC would be enough but so far I am not happy with her. I would go for the 1.08 if it were me. I know the fuel consumption will be up but I believe the performance will also be up. You should have plenty of clearance for a prop so I would use it. But I should say I have never had a plane that I said that’s too much power. But thats me and I plan to put a 120 on my Staud next.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:20 PM
AcroFlyer

Default Power ??

WOW ! I would have thought the YS would give you MORE power than my .91 Surpass by a margin of 30% or so. I'm amazed to say the least !

I could almost get her to torque roll falling off after the roll started. I'm not real sure what to tell you. What weight is the bird with the YS ? My weight with the .91 Surpass was 9lbs.

Oh well,

AcroFlyer
Old 07-11-2002, 07:38 PM
Crash King

Hi Chris,
Well as you can see I finally got Tumble Time in the air. The YS is heavier, but I would have also thought it would have been more performance but so far not. The plane flies well, a bit on the heavy side but she will still glide. I had two dead sticks with out a problem getting her back in. She weighs in @ 9.5 lbs dry.

I have been flying a SIG SE with a 61FX on it so I am pretty power spoiled.

I think some of the power problem comes from a poor prop choice. The 14x8 Zinger is not a very good prop in my opinion. I will try with some other props tonight to see if things improve.

By the way, she does tumble pretty well. I cannot wait until I get the power right and set the rates up on high. I put on some new 3” wheels and cut some holes in that pretty cowl, other than that she looks as good as she did when you sold her to me.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:33 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

I have a TT 91 4 Stroke in mine and it flies great, I wouldnt change a thing on it. Daz...
Old 07-12-2002, 12:20 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Daz,

did you mount the TT .91 per the manual, or did you turn it 45 degrees negitive?????? I'm thinking about putting the 1.08 on the GS300, but I love the TT .91 and might just go that route.

Thanks in Advance

Dennis
Old 07-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Crash King

Default Well we have some improvement

I dropped a 14x8 Top Flite Power point prop on her last night and the performance gain was amazing. Those Zingers are lousy props IMO of course. I will take your advice LF and try a 15x8, but I worry that I will fall out of the power band. Remember this is an AC not an FZ. Anyway the Staud is flyable now and probably will hold off on the 120 for now. I can see a larger fuel tank in my future. The flight time is only about 8-9 minutes. I can see that YS20/20 fuel becoming a concern also. The plane files well, a bit snappy but that is the fun of it.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:07 PM
OUTCAST

Crash King, try a 15/6 APC. It wont go as fast but there will be a noticable improvement in vertical. The RPM's dont change much but the extra disc area really helps, and the down line breaking will be much better.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:50 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Default Re: Super Kraft GS300 Good? Engine?

Originally posted by ksflyer
Hello all,

I am currently waiting on the delivery of a SuperKraft GS300. I saw a review in May 2002 MAN about this plane. It seemed to be a good review. They ran it with a MDS .78 and after looking at the weight of this engine and other similar ones, I'm almost inclined to put a Magnum 1.08 on it. Anyone run this engine or combination? What do you have on your GS300?

Thanks,
Go for it... I have the GS300 with a magnum 1.08, and its a perfect match... I used the stock muffler, so I had to trim the bottom of the cowl... other than that... the engine fits perfect in side the cowl... Use pull-pull on the rudder ( I didn't, but will the next time).... try to keep it below 8lbs, and you will have unlimited vertical... 3/4 stick hover... etc...