Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

VMAR Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

VMAR Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 07:49 PM
zappulmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VMAR Mustang

I am thinking of buying a VMAR Mustang .46-.61

I am interested in any experiences with the quality of the brand and the plane.

Also what sort of skill level is required to fly it.

I am just getting back into the hobby and have previously only flown a tricyle highwing trainer (ROYAL 40).[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Would the Mustang make a suitable second plane or am I aiming to high at this point in time.

My intention is to get some refresher time up on the trainer before looking at flying the Mustang.

Whats prompted the question is that the local hobby shop has a really great special on this aircraft at the moment.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2003, 11:07 AM
southern_touch99

Default VMAR Mustang

Though I havent flown the VMAR mustang I have flown other VMAR aircraft and other Mustangs. VMAR products seem to be pretty good products. They fly a lot more like the airplane of yesterday (no huge control surfaces, landing a little hotter, etc.) I flew their sporty 40 this past weekend for a guy and it seemed to handle nicely, this airplane looks just like a mustang (except for the rudder and the wing is more like a four stars). In general I would say if all you have had is a trainer then a mustang might be aiming a little too high. True scale mustangs are generally a handfull on takeoff and a handfull to land (for someone only flying a trainer). If you want a plane that sort of looks like a mustang but flies much better then get the fun fly mustang (I think thunder tiger puts it out????) I have seen these fly and they will cut up nicely, but with the rates turned down low they handle a lot like a trainer.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:49 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default VMAR Mustang

southerntouch said it all when he recommended the fun fly Mustang from Thunder Tiger. Flys very well is easy to put together and does very well with a .46 engine. It should satisfy your Mustang craving until you get a little further along in your flight expreience. If you fly from a field that isn't to far above sea level a .40 will do the job too.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:56 PM
docpaul

Default VMAR Mustang

My very strong suggestion is to stay as far away from VMAR products as you can. I purchased 3 now, a Chipmunk, a Harvard II and an Ugly Stick 60 size. All were manufactured very poorly. Materials, craftmanship and assembly instructions the worst I have seen and I have flown & built many ARF's.
All of these planes ended up in the trash bin after one or two flights. There have been several threads on this forum concerning VMAR products and the consensus generally has been the same.....substandard!!!
If you are looking for a perky, well manufactured and beautiful-looking and flying Mustang, I would recommend the World Model's 40 size P-51D (The Flying Undertaker). It comes with pre-installed retracts and I have powered mine with an OS 50 SX with a Bisson muffler. I have over 30 flights with this plane and it performs very well.
A word of caution...this plane is not for the beginner! No warbirds, especially Spits & Mustangs are really. You should be comfortable with taildraggers and very responsive low-wing aircraft before flying one of these. When you are, then a straffing run down the runnway with the gear retracted, followed by a victory roll or two, will give you goose bumps!
I have included a picture of mine.
Good luck!
-Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Spit and Honor Ball 023.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	126  
Old 07-29-2003, 11:56 AM
southern_touch99

Default VMAR Mustang

I have been hearing a lot of complaints about the VMAR planes as well. I have flown 3 different ones now and they all did fine. Nothing to write home about but...there arnt many planes I write home about. I have flown the STick, the sport .40, and the edge 540. I dont really have any complaints with any of these planes b/c unlike many of the major distributors (particularly Horizon) they dont promise that their plane is the best thing since sliced bread. I do own 3 of the .46 VMAX BB motors made by VMAR and I am VERY VERY VERY pleased with these motors. I payed 60 bucks for mine and I swear to you that they are every bit as good as an O.S. .46 and close to a TT .46 pro.