Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ordered a V-Mar plane

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Has anyone ordered a V-Mar plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 09:30 AM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ordered a V-Mar plane

Im interested in www.RichmondRC.com to get one of there planes but they never return my emails or my local hobbie shop emails either? I was wondering if any of you have sent for one and received it in good condition.There prices are realy good or is it to good to be true?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Crash Master

Default RE: Has anyone ordered a V-Mar plane

If you do a search here for V-Mar I think you will find that they are not a favorite of the members here who have bought them. I have never owned one so I can't express an opinion, but based on what I have read about them, I doubt that I will ever own one.

Do yourself a favor and do some homework before purchasing any plane. RCU is an excellent source for information and opinions on most every aspect of this wonderful hobby. It is a resource that should be utilized to its fullest in order to make an informed buying decision.

Just my .000002,
Old 06-22-2004, 10:53 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Somehow the word Horrible comes to mind... I agree, do a search on VMAR and then run! Most everything has been said over and over again, so it's no use beating a dead horse. I did a review for their T-34 that was on their site and lived to regret that plane after some time. Yet I'm sure some will post some good experiences with their stuff so just do the search and count the votes...

quint
Old 06-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few of us who post, here, who have actually had a good experience with a specific Vmar plane. Beware of posters who say nothing specific.

My old Vmar Extra 300L (it's still listed there, but it's not the colorful one they list now) has been a wonderful experience. Flies great on a .46, does all the non-3D aerobatics, sturdy, etc. I've logged over 250 flights with it. I'm sure there will be rebuttal from some who have never owned this specific plane, but I have two friends who also like theirs.

Can's speak for the other planes. I do agree, the covering fades, and the covering seams at the front of the flying surfaces pull up (unless you run some CA or canopy glue over them.) I'm still glad I bought it when I did, it was inexpensive and agile. At that price, I didn't hesitate to put it through risky maneuvers, if it had augured in the cost wouldn't have upset me. It still lives, and I'll fly it some more.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 07-03-2004, 10:14 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

I have the Vmar Aero Subaru .40 with a .52 Magnum 4 stroke mounted on it. A good looking Plane that flies as good as it looks. I have 4 other Planes (2 Sigs and 2 Great Planes), and the Vmars quality was as good as any that I have. There is something on just about any Plane that you can pick on . The Hardware was all good stuff on the VMAR, but I was a little dissapointed in the Cowl which should have been made a little stouter. It is on the thin weak side. This is really my only complaint, and it is something I can fix easy enough. I have had bigger problems than that with other brands of Planes that were not VMAR when I removed them new from the box. The moral is you basically get what you pay for. I felt like I got a pretty descent Plane for the money I spent. There are alot better out there I am sure, but more money to. I would say give one a try. You can get GOOD or BAD no matter what you buy. Its always a bit of a gamble.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:08 AM
Fly-guy

Georgee-RCU

I have a VMar Discovery which is the .40 size trainer, it is not a bad model, but then again its not a great model. For the price they aren't bad but they are a little on the dodgey side. They are very light weight but reasonably strong. Our discovery only has about 50 or so flight on it and it is still going great with some minor upgrades, such as undercarige and fuel tank but I can see the plane lasting for quiet a while.

Fly-guy
Old 07-04-2004, 04:47 AM
tIANci

Things get better with time ... I remember a time when US made kits were considered cr@p as they do not fit well at all, Jap kits like Pilot were a breeze to build. I have seen the improvements with Black Horse planes and I am sure VMAR has come a long way.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:47 AM
tjt3

As a majority of people say. Don't do it. I have (now in kit form) one of the new Arrow Tiger sports planes, and bought it after reading a review in Australia's Airborne Magazine.

What a piece of crap. The covering is of such poor quality, it peeled off the wing in flight, and that was the end of that. Might as well of just burnt the cash instead of buying the plane.

Our club numbers up to 130 and I would say you will find it very hard to get even 1 favourable comment on the VMAR range. Many people have been burnt by these inferior aircraft.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:28 AM
SBR_RV

well i did have a vmar trainer and the quality was not all that good compared to my WM plane. it was heavy and small, but it did fly well, although the landing had to bedone faster that other trainers, and as for the covering it really did expand in the sun, it looked like crap and hard to smoothen out on bulsa sheets, then came the day when radio failed (my fault) and it plowed into the ground, but the wing or tail plane didnt break, infact i still have them, and i can tell you now that the wood they use is real heavy, but very strong compared to other bulsa.

I'll let you sum it up.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:29 AM
tIANci

tjt3 - was the purchase recent? or LHS owner went t Vietnam and met with the VMAR factory owner, we were informed that the covering is great now, we will know by Tuesday how good it is now. How did your plane handle btw ... I noticed that the planes are kinda heavy, over 6.5 lbs.

IL2 - its not balsa, like Black Horse its what they term cotton wood, some tropical temperate soft wood, its not dried well and hence the wood is heavy, feels kinda gummy too when you break it.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:18 AM
IronCross

I have ordered from Richmond RC and had no problems with them. Quantum also sells the Vmars last time I checked... But Vmar, forget it... They are no bargin at whatever price... I had a couple of the HotRods... Everything on them was warped, and poorly glued.. Hinges although pinned broke at the hinge line.. One friend just tried the Suburu... Greal looking plane and flew OK.. After a couple weeks in the sun here the covering looked like a prune and would not shrink back up.. A guy at the club had a ten foot Beaver out for the first time last weekend... What a joke.. He had to replace the firewall, the wing tubes were not even a close fit.. Diameter of the inside tubes was off by at least an 8th of an inch.. He had to make a new fiberglass tube for the center section with the right ID... Two guys picked it up by the wing tips to get an idea of the CG and the wings bent so bad no one could tell and that was with the struts on it... And on and on..
There are a few folks that speak well of the Vmar... It would really be interesting to know what they flew before the Vmar's....
Old 07-04-2004, 11:38 AM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Have you tried calling them? Basicly I don't do business with a company I can't e-mail or call.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:58 PM
IronCross

Is that what that wierd wood is ?.. It is cut thin too on the ribs and stuff.. Not being dried would explain the stench when you open the box and the warping of the parts.. I had a rudder warp so bad while it was sitting in the sun it was noticable to passers by...
Old 07-04-2004, 08:52 PM
tIANci

Iron Cross - that is the loose term they use for the wood. As it is Black Horse has improved and now they use more balsa, the plane is a lot lighter and flies much better. I had the SU31, first one was balanced with a TT61, now my second is balanced with a TT46, see the difference? The new BH planes are all laser cut too. Perhaps the new batch of VMAR will be better, I'll find out on Tue/Wed.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:33 AM
IronCross

I hope your right...
Vmar has some good designs, they seem to fly good. Just poor quality construction
Old 07-05-2004, 01:25 AM
tIANci

Maybe they are sending to us in Asia the better stuff and then the sub quality ones to you guys!! Hahahahaa ... sound firmilar huh ... hehehee ... will let you know soon how the quality is now.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:03 AM
SBR_RV

tianic, i nerver knew, no wonder its so heavy.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:23 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to get frustrated by all the people who still find some ray of hope that the VMAR they order will be a good one. And even after reading comments from previous owners, including myself, which were mostly negative to the point of desperate screaming out "JUNK IS JUNK!", some people still are lured in by their glitzy adds and lay down hard earned money for a relative box of crap! Now I don't get frustrated, I'm actually quite amused at how people will continue to spend money on these aircraft when there are SO MANY alternatives with good press.
Go ahead, take the recommendation of the 2% of contributors who actually enjoy these planes and buy one, you'll be sad you did.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:42 AM
IronCross

I would still like to know what the people that like the Vmars were flying before the Vmar...
Should be interesting. Doubt we will ever really know though
Old 07-05-2004, 10:45 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I had their Texan a couple of years ago. Poor quality, both in construction and balsa. Had their recommended engine on it, GMS .47. Plane flew "heavy" and was always tinkering with it. Engine never ran right (not VMar's fault), I used a Pitts muffler and found out later that they need the tuned muffley they come with to run correctly. Covering is low quality sticky type. Seams lifted after a few flights and was nearly impossible to stick back down. Unless their quality has improved substantially, I would never buy another one again.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:31 AM
tIANci

Guess see what a dose good marketing and a pinch of ignorance does. Not bad huh? For me I am only gonna see what they are like before I even bother to get one, yes, 6.5 - 7 lbs is heavy for a 40 sized plane.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:53 AM
tIANci

Default Latest batch of V-Mar planes

I have seen the latest batch of VMAR planes, a big shipment came in and I went through almost all the planes available. In short the planes are not over weight at all but some are super light e.g. the Extra 330L and the Beavers. The covering looks great and is nicely done, they will not rip off because the seam is now at the trailing edge. Only one problem ... the plane uses really low and cheap quality wood. Its worse than Black Horse planes. Some of the bits like the 'extra' firewall that allows you to remove the engine ... that piece of wood looks like some scrap from a furniture factory! They even used that sort of wood (wood laminated with some form of formica or artificial wood veneer), on the wing bolt brackets.

The other firewalls further down the fuse use really cheapo ply wood, looks like the ply is no more than 1/32" thick, its like a mere wafer. You see glue almost everywhere.

I got myself a CAP232 (60) to see how it flies. In short, the VMAR planes gets 8/10 for looks, 3/10 for wood quality, 4/10 for manufacturing quality (the planes are well fitted but the workmanship is dodgy) and I have no idea how they fly. I suspect that these planes will not last.

Buy one again? I don't know ... let's see how they fly and last.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:41 AM
IronCross

Default RE: Latest batch of V-Mar planes

That's too bad.. A lot of there designs are good.. The covering doesn't hold up but it is usable.. The construction/wood is a major problem..
The cap strips on the wing of my HotRod are becoming so brittle hunks break off every time I handle the wings.. The ribs made of the same
type of wood are warped and very brittle.. The elevators, rudder and ailerons were replaced with balsa so they are OK.. I don't think the wings
have to many flights left in them.. Too bad, the plane is a blast to fly..
Old 07-09-2004, 11:46 AM
tIANci

I bought mine out of curiosity, hope it holds up to a decent number of flights!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:50 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tIANci

I have seen the latest batch of VMAR planes, a big shipment came in and I went through almost all the planes available. In short the planes are not over weight at all but some are super light e.g. the Extra 330L and the Beavers. The covering looks great and is nicely done, they will not rip off because the seam is now at the trailing edge. Only one problem ... the plane uses really low and cheap quality wood. Its worse than Black Horse planes. Some of the bits like the 'extra' firewall that allows you to remove the engine ... that piece of wood looks like some scrap from a furniture factory! They even used that sort of wood (wood laminated with some form of formica or artificial wood veneer), on the wing bolt brackets.

The other firewalls further down the fuse use really cheapo ply wood, looks like the ply is no more than 1/32" thick, its like a mere wafer. You see glue almost everywhere.

I got myself a CAP232 (60) to see how it flies. In short, the VMAR planes gets 8/10 for looks, 3/10 for wood quality, 4/10 for manufacturing quality (the planes are well fitted but the workmanship is dodgy) and I have no idea how they fly. I suspect that these planes will not last.

Buy one again? I don't know ... let's see how they fly and last.

Wow thats a shame. I was considering one of their large scale birds, the Pilatus PC-9. Dont know if id purchase one now!! [:'(]

I wonder sometimes how some buisness's even have the heart to sell these to the public. [&o]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.